Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DA list feedback
no worries
40K - Dark Angels, Dark Eldar, Necrons; Lord of the Rings - lots; Bloodbowl - Dwarves, Wood Elves; SAGA - Anglo Danes & Welsh; Guildball - Morticians, Engineers; Dropzone/fleet - Shaltari
following a test last night at the local GW, im leaning towards a 2 contemptor list with the hyperios as well.

Belial

7 DW terminators 1 AC 1 TH/SS
5 DW terminators Cyclone 1 TH/SS
7man Tac squad with Plasma cannon
7man Tac squad with Plasma cannon

5 man Black knights squad - 1 grenade launcher
2 hyperios defence turrets
2 hyperios defence turrets

Contemptor Dreadnought - two Kheres assault cannons
Contemptor Dreadnought - two twin linked lascannons, cyclone

total 1749

Im just not sure i know what to do with the Land raider and i like deep striking too much. the contemptors fill the anti vehicle (lascannon and cyclone) can take down flyers if needed too, even if its only in its own turn. and can do a number on troops too with 12 st6 rending assault cannon shots. plus they survive reasonably well with AV13 with a 5+

it might not be the best list but its a list i know how to play with and that's probably more important with the tournament looming. plus i'll have fun with it.
Simian aka Ben
Interests
40k Death Guard, Nurgle and Space Wolves, Malifaux (Guild, Gremlins & Ressers), In Her Majesties Name (Professor Berengei's Circus), Bolt Action (Big Red One), Dredd (Robots), OGaM, Necromunda (Redemptionists)

Hooting into the Abyss
Cool, good luck Ben!
40K - Dark Angels, Dark Eldar, Necrons; Lord of the Rings - lots; Bloodbowl - Dwarves, Wood Elves; SAGA - Anglo Danes & Welsh; Guildball - Morticians, Engineers; Dropzone/fleet - Shaltari
Cheers, as i say it might not be the most optimized list but its one i know what all the elements do, they have defined roles that i get and there's enough of each element AA/AI/AV to make a dent in whatever comes at me.
Simian aka Ben
Interests
40k Death Guard, Nurgle and Space Wolves, Malifaux (Guild, Gremlins & Ressers), In Her Majesties Name (Professor Berengei's Circus), Bolt Action (Big Red One), Dredd (Robots), OGaM, Necromunda (Redemptionists)

Hooting into the Abyss
i think knowing what each unit is capable of and what the enemies is capable of is the first step to winning, so sticking with what you know and like is a sound option.
Right, list did well enough last night, Black knights were not up to their usual effective best, but failing charges was the problem. Im sticking with this list and will see how the dice fall. (and hope not to face too many things with ap2 large blast templates....)

Hyperios did very well, one contemptor did little (the kheres one), the other did well despite losing an arm first turn. a mixed bag really but i did get the win.

Oh and all the terminators died except Belial......
Simian aka Ben
Interests

Hooting into the Abyss
Thanks for the game rob, enjoyable as always and very close, shame we were rushing at the end.

Here's the next list I'm going to try (1848pts):

Sammael (corvex)
Int. Chaplain - bike
RWCommand Squad - standard of Devastation, apothecary
RAS - 6 bikes, attack bike -mm
RAS - 6 bikes, 2mg, attack bike -mm
RAS - 6 bikes, 2mg, attack bike -mm
RAS - 3 bikes, 2mg
5 Black Knights - 1 grenade launcher
Darkshroud
RSS - 3 speeders with tml and heavy bolter

Not too sure about the darkshroud - but that is based on one game where it got torn apart turn one by some railguns. It's not amazingly resilient, but if the game is not KP's I can combat squad the 6 man squads for MSU and get 10 (!) scoring units that are massively maneouverable.

Speeders are there for a bit of long range anti infantry/medium tank back up - not tried a squadron in 6th and so I hope there survivability won't be too bad - prob try and keep them near the darkshroud for a 4+ jink save. Not tried Black knights yet so looking forward to that and Dakka banner gives massive anti-infantry firepower if it can survive (turns the tl bolters into tl salvo 4 bolters between 12" and 24", and bikes are relentless...).

So I think it covers all bases really - at a pinch the Black Knight squad are a combat threat, possibly with Sammael or the Chappy helping them. Chappy will probably be the Warlord as he can roll on Strategic table which have some good results for Ravenwing and Sammael's trait he has to take is not that great. Weaknesses - low model count. vulnerable to massed anti-infantry fire, of which there is a lot around.

What do you guys think?
I struggle with a pure ravenwing build, three bikes is not a big unit and despite T5 small arms fire will take you down as you only have a 3+ save. i really think a synergy of threats is the best way to go with Ravenwing if you want to go that way. Im looking at a more diverse list at the moment.

I've been thinking of this list.
Ezekiel (with the Knights)
9 DW knights
2 x 10 man tac squads with plasma cannon and gun and vet sargeants
5 sniper scouts
Nephillim
2 x Contemptor Dreadnought
Land Raider crusader

air threat, massive beatstick threat (knights out of the land raider) and objective holders (5 troops choices if i combat squad). The alternative is take my hyperios and an aegis defence line with a quad gun in place of one of the contemptors.

With Ezekiel in the Knights they benefit from his +1 WS making them ws6 and he had mind worm for any nasty characters and if that goes off taking them out in close comabt is easy when they're -3 ws,bs, i and ld PER WOUND from a d3 s4 ignores cover attack. with prescience as well and another power (theres a couple of options there) its quite a nasty unit.
Simian aka Ben
Interests

Hooting into the Abyss
Looks, nice, not tried ezekiel. Think landraiders could be awesome. Only problem is if the opponent has some deepstriking melta then that landraider could be toast and your massive DWK squad is footslogging across the board with no shooty weapons...

I realise pure ravenwing may not be the best build ever, but I want to try it out for fun and see how effective it can be. 3 bikes do die very easily

I think throwing belial and a ten man termy squad in by dropping the RSS squad, the chappy and one of the large bike squads might be better, but that's another thing to try!

I'm also itching to try this list:
Azrael
librarian with power field generator
DW Squad - hf
DW squad - ac
10 man tac - mg
2 LRC (1 with mm)
1 LR
RAS - 3bikes, 2mg, mb, attack bike - mm
1850pts

Potential 6 scoring units 3 landraiders protected by pfg bubble (although one might be left at the back of the field with the combat squadded tacs in.
Now that list i really do like.
The dream of fielding (and owning) 3 land raiders. One is all i have at the moment.

with the list i posted yes, drop pod melta is a risk for LRC but there's a fair number of high value targets there they could go for and some interceptor to try to minimise the risk.
Simian aka Ben
Interests

Hooting into the Abyss