Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A good piece on Deathstars
Thanks for sharing, debate is always good Smile
40K - Dark Angels, Dark Eldar, Necrons; Lord of the Rings - lots; Bloodbowl - Dwarves, Wood Elves; SAGA - Anglo Danes & Welsh; Guildball - Morticians, Engineers; Dropzone/fleet - Shaltari
(28-02-2014, 09:35 AM)jaqenhgar Wrote: Thanks for sharing, debate is always good Smile

I would like to echo this point.

I would be a very boring place if we were all the same.

Finally got back on my laptop to drop my 2 cents!

Its only in the last year or so i have run a proper deathstar (farsight bomb first, O'vesa bomb now), for me personally i do love how they play. When you drop nearly 1K into a single unit, you have to very tactical how you use it and fully exploit your list building skills to make it a survivable as possible. You also have to be careful with your scoring units as tend to be the weak link.

I also enjoy the challenge of trying to beat a Deathstar list, i have since i first experienced it playing Robs Draigowing back in 5th. We are generally just seeing more now because of the allies system introduced in 6th.

For me, a deathstar list is no different to running a triple vendetta list, leafblower, Tau gunline, Serpent spam, full drop pod marines, contemptor spam etc.

Also, with "fluffy" themed lists they can be just as horrible and hard to play against as deathstar. The general idea behind my current List is to make it so i tried to avoid using anything that isn't a crisis suit or riptide, with the only thing that isn't being a unit of 10 Kroot.

I could quite easily create a "fluffy" enclaves list with just suits and 4 Riptides, (or 2 riptides and 9 broadsides) which would just as horrible for people to play. And then stick them on a skyshield for extra lolz.

One of favourite thing to do is list build, i'm one of those saddo's that spend hours on battlescibe refining and refining a list till it is as optimal as possible. I do this whether i am using a deathstar or a "normal" list as i am a very competitive person, and in a league/tournament practise game i going to go all out for the win and to make it as competitive as possible for the person i am playing.

I do feel kind of bad playing a newer guy and smashing them with a tabling (Ie Kevin in our league game) and if it is not a league/campaign game would not play as "hard" for the win and willing to change my list up.

Like Chris, i would love to do a campaign with a restricted FOC.

And as Nick says, if you don't want to face a fully optimised deathstar list tell me before hand and i'll send you my list before hand so we can adjust it and arrange what kind of game you want to play. Tongue
40k- Space marines(5000 pts) Imperial guard (3000 pts) Tau (3000 pts)
Epic 40k-Space marines/Imperial Guard(2000 pts)
Infinity Yu jing (Aprox 1000 pts)
Necromunda Escher Mad capsules Avalanche
Blood bowl Skaven
simian Wrote:its doing the reverse for me, its putting me off 40k. its a shame but the emphasis on bigger/more expensive/new units to win at 40k just makes me want to go play something else. And to be fair thats what im doing mainly at the moment.

the problem is i do enjoy 40k when its more fluffy, more fun (in my opinion) so i want to keep playing but the prevalence of deathstars and the sheer quantity of what i see to be game breaking combinations has put me off.

I agree Ben. I don't enjoy playing against super competitive deathstar lists and recently I've been playing far more fantasy than 40k because of it. Perhaps we should arrange a none competitive fun game? Smile
40k - Dark Eldar /// Fantasy - Warriors of Chaos
(02-03-2014, 04:31 PM)CheZZoR Wrote:
simian Wrote:its doing the reverse for me, its putting me off 40k. its a shame but the emphasis on bigger/more expensive/new units to win at 40k just makes me want to go play something else. And to be fair thats what im doing mainly at the moment.

the problem is i do enjoy 40k when its more fluffy, more fun (in my opinion) so i want to keep playing but the prevalence of deathstars and the sheer quantity of what i see to be game breaking combinations has put me off.

I agree Ben. I don't enjoy playing against super competitive deathstar lists and recently I've been playing far more fantasy than 40k because of it. Perhaps we should arrange a none competitive fun game? Smile

sounds good to me!
Simian aka Ben
Interests
40k Death Guard, Nurgle and Space Wolves, Malifaux (Guild, Gremlins & Ressers), In Her Majesties Name (Professor Berengei's Circus), Bolt Action (Big Red One), Dredd (Robots), OGaM, Necromunda (Redemptionists)

Hooting into the Abyss
I don't really mind playing the Death Stars - Was actually quite happy that my Sisters were not tabled by Nick during our Campaign game - Counted it as a moral victory.

Nick even thought that I had a half a chance of doing some damage to his Deathstar if the Dice gods had not been against me. How do 6 meltas, 2 multimeltas, 8 exorcists missiles and various flamers & bolters all manage to miss there targets.

I agree that Deathstar armies can be a bit demoralising if I was playing them every week which is why I try to play as many different players/armies and games as possible.

I also understand that if I am going to play someone who is a keen tournament player that they are most likely going to have an Army that has been fine tuned and is much better than mine. Then again if I wanted to play an Army like this, I would most likely not play the Sisters.
Tyranids - They are coming! I feel then scratching inside my mind, scratching, screaming, running, so many - so, so many voices.

40k Adepta Sororitas, Imperial Knights & Tyranids
Blood Bowl Norse - Valhalla Vengeance
Flames of War US 101st Airborne
EPIC AMTL & Black Legion
Warmaster Skaven
Bolt Action US 101st Screaming Eagles
DropZone Resistance