Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Speculation on "Sale" of GW
(07-06-2013, 07:40 PM)Stuart Wrote:
(07-06-2013, 07:32 PM)manrogue Wrote: If i recall correctly, The return of the king released in winter 2003 and LoTR hype was at its height then.

Looking at some investor chatter from around that time, they refer to the 04/05 period as the end of the "LotR bubble".

Other factors I've seen speculation on include the alienation of a good number of North American independent retailers around that time. There's some speculation around other factors too, but it's Friday evening and time to shut down the laptop for a bit Smile
You are right, that is when they introduced the first restrictions on sales in America i believe, like stopping online sales.
40k- Space marines(5000 pts) Imperial guard (3000 pts) Tau (3000 pts)
Epic 40k-Space marines/Imperial Guard(2000 pts)
Infinity Yu jing (Aprox 1000 pts)
Necromunda Escher Mad capsules Avalanche
Blood bowl Skaven
For anyone interested (doubtless you have better things to do on a Friday evening) there's plenty of (relatively interesting) reading material over on the Motley Fool: http://boards.fool.co.uk/games-workshop-...50412.aspx

I really am going to shut down the laptop for a bit now.
Figures painted in 2016: 4 Blush
"What this game needs is a panda with a chaingun."
Your graph has them doing incredibly well Vince. Considering the internet age has allowed veterans to branch out, particularly in the UK into other games (taking their money elsewhere,) second hand sales off all items going through the roof (not just wargames, but everything ebay/gumtree etc offers,) and well above inflation price rises, to hold roughly steady in the current economic climate, is quite an achievement. You only have to look at the number of retail chains that went bump last year, to see just how well they are doing.

But again I look at things from my Business educated mind (I spent all of my high school doing Business and Economics, and only getting a second tumour stopped my going to Uni to further that line of education,) rather than a purely hobby orientated outlook. Yes the war gamer wants cheaper prices, better information, and a more personal company, but the sensible part of me, realises if they don't take certain actions, I may not get anything to play with.
Star Wars Legion - Rebels
Guildball - Alchemists
Blood Bowl - Lizardmen
But are they doing better Gaz? How can sales staying flat mean they are doing incredibly well?

We have just Laid off 37 people at my place of work because sales have stayed flat over the past three years, with a total restructuring of the manufacturing process. Declining shifting of volume is never good for business, no matter who you are.

Looking at from a business point of view, if you raise prices WAY above inflation and your sales stay flat, something is going very wrong.

They are maintaining profits but not shifting as much stock. People are buying a lot less. You can only maintain that for so long before people reach a point where they won't/can't afford to buy anymore.

You had a major relaunch of a flag ship product (warhammer) and sales stayed flat.
Blood bowl Skaven
(07-06-2013, 07:50 PM)Stuart Wrote: For anyone interested (doubtless you have better things to do on a Friday evening) there's plenty of (relatively interesting) reading material over on the Motley Fool: http://boards.fool.co.uk/games-workshop-...50412.aspx

I really am going to shut down the laptop for a bit now.
Cheers for the link Stu, interesting read.
Blood bowl Skaven
Top three bods get paid a pretty penny... £350k for top man.

Seems he made some mistakes, complacent, took his eye off the ball, etc. Short of details from his annual report comments but anyway...

Inetersting back then their mission was/is to sell figures, lots and lots of figures... we men love collection them, by the hundred...
History is written by the victors - Sir Winston Churchill
at time whne their main markets are struggling economicly, they've managed to keep sales at a flat right while selling for an inflated profit even with increased competition, ( just look at all the different companies models club memebers buy that have only been around a few years). As someone who works in retail I can tell you that companies are cutting prices and profits in attempts to generate slight increases in sales.

Games workshop used to and probably still does charge any supplier either one of their shops or an independant half recommended price for stock. The mark up goes to pay for the running of the shop mainly, so independant sellers cutting their prices don't affect games workshops turnover that much becuase they've made their set profit amount in the inital purchase. so by shifting most of the advertising and handling costs onto other smaller companies they're making the same inflated profit for less costs.

Also certain expensive fine cast models seem to be available from games workshop only I've noticed recently trying to build my daemon army.
No you are right I dont need any more models......but it's so shiney

40K & WFB - Chaos daemons, BFG - Imperial, Warmachine - Cygnar,Retribution and Skorne. Blood Bowl - Chaos,dwarves,humans.
Is the decline of GW just purely down to punters getting fed up with spending money on rules and figures, only to have half your army dropped in the new version a few years later. Fair enough they try to improve rules, but then to chuck out your loving collected unit is another thing entirely.
Flames of War- Irish Guards    Bloodbowl- Orcs, Humans
Cutlass- Teddy Bear Pirates     Warhammer- Bretonnia, Ogres
6mm WW2- XXX Corps            28mm WW2- Rules of Engagement, Bolt Action, Chain of Command
28mm Zulu War- Still painting !!  SAGA Normans, Saracens
Bolt Action - German and British Infantry
Malifaux - Gremlins
Guildball - Butchers,Hunters, Farmers