Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Speculation on "Sale" of GW
Just speculation at the moment, but there seems to be some discussion surrounding the possible "sale" of GW (more accurately a shift in shareholding as they are a publicly traded company) on t'interweb this morning.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/29888703...253617756/

http://apocalypse40k.blogspot.co.uk/2013...-sold.html

http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/news...anged.html
Figures painted in 2016: 4 Blush
"What this game needs is a panda with a chaingun."
Heard this myself today and was tempted to post(saved me a job Stu Tongue), all seems to be rumours at present. Hasbro is the name that is the being mooted though.
40k- Space marines(5000 pts) Imperial guard (3000 pts) Tau (3000 pts)
Epic 40k-Space marines/Imperial Guard(2000 pts)
Infinity Yu jing (Aprox 1000 pts)
Necromunda Escher Mad capsules Avalanche
Blood bowl Skaven
Interesting.

Have to disagree with Apoc40k though. Hype will hurt sales for GW. If you know three months in advance that something is coming out, you can source second hand stock. One weeks grace, means you have to buy fresh models, or run the risk of your eBay not arriving, for release.
Star Wars Legion - Rebels
Guildball - Alchemists
Blood Bowl - Lizardmen
I think one months worth of Hype would help sales, that is what goes on pretty much on the internet now anyway through forums with leaks. It affects casual players more as most mini wargame nerds know when the stuff is out and are waiting to pre-order the stock asd soon as it goes live.

If they knew in advance by a month what the pre-orders were we probably wouldn't be in the situation we are now with them low on stock of both the new Tau and Eldar stuff and unable to meet orders. Have a month to react to a sales spike is much better than a week.
Blood bowl Skaven
We have gone from 3 months, to 1 month, to 1 week. If it was hurting them, they would have reverted back Vince. Trust me, they would rather not have enough stock and sell out entirely at GW stores / online, than have a bigger stock base but with over 50% of sales coming from e-tailers, and plastic sat in their stores not selling.

I'm surprised it took them until 2013, to work this out. I would expect to struggle for a while to get anything out of most online stores, when it comes to brand new releases. If you want things on release, there is going to be a premium price tag.
Star Wars Legion - Rebels
Guildball - Alchemists
Blood Bowl - Lizardmen
They barely have a flat revenue in a growing market, keeping it flat only by raising prices far above inflation, so selling less each year.
[Image: 7d1d37e9482bcb41431c397ad0584af6_60791.jpg]
So something clearly isn't working.
Blood bowl Skaven
(06-06-2013, 07:31 PM)manrogue Wrote: They barely have a flat revenue in a growing market, keeping it flat only by raising prices far above inflation, so selling less each year.
[Image: 7d1d37e9482bcb41431c397ad0584af6_60791.jpg]
So something clearly isn't working.

What was their significant change in 2004>2005?
History is written by the victors - Sir Winston Churchill
That was due to hype from Lord of the rings, from what i have read/remember.

At least i remember buying a lot of lord of the rings models even though i wasn't mini wargaming at the time and know a few friends who was not into wargames but bought LoTR models.

The dip is from when people lost interest/ stopped caring about LoTR.

It will be interesting to see what effect the hobbit has on sales over the next few years.
Blood bowl Skaven
If i recall correctly, The return of the king released in winter 2003 and LoTR hype was at its height then.

I think 4th edition 40K launched around 2004 as well, which would have helped sales in 40K
Blood bowl Skaven
(07-06-2013, 07:32 PM)manrogue Wrote: If i recall correctly, The return of the king released in winter 2003 and LoTR hype was at its height then.

Looking at some investor chatter from around that time, they refer to the 04/05 period as the end of the "LotR bubble".

Other reasons I've seen speculation on include the alienation of a good number of North American independent retailers around that time. There's some discussion around other factors too, but it's Friday evening and time to shut down the laptop for a bit Smile
Figures painted in 2016: 4 Blush
"What this game needs is a panda with a chaingun."