Redditch Tabletop Gamers Forum
Kickstarter Dropfleet Commander - Printable Version

+- Redditch Tabletop Gamers Forum (https://forum.redditchtabletopgamers.com)
+-- Forum: Fantasy and Sci-Fi Miniature Gaming (https://forum.redditchtabletopgamers.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=35)
+--- Forum: Dropzone and Dropfleet Commander (https://forum.redditchtabletopgamers.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=81)
+--- Thread: Kickstarter Dropfleet Commander (/showthread.php?tid=2675)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

RE: Dropfleet Commander - jjakaalbinoboy - 03-11-2016

I'm not sure about that though, page 196 says Gates are NOT deployed from the mothership but from the Voidgates. This is a good example of needing an FAQ I think.

I would say as Gates are in theory deployed from Voidgates, even though they originate from the Mothership, they should get the spike instead the same as strike carriers for other races do?

RE: Dropfleet Commander - hectorkmackenzie - 05-11-2016

I don't think that launching dropships/bulk landers causes a spike. The wording is (approx) "strike craft or munitions" which I take to mean fighters, bombers and torpedoes as it doesn't really fit ground assets

RE: Dropfleet Commander - jaqenhgar - 06-11-2016

Yeah I don't think it's entirely clear and could be read either way. Hopefully it'll be faq'd but in the meantime happy to play it either way as long as we agree before a game.

RE: Dropfleet Commander - jjakaalbinoboy - 06-11-2016

Yeah I'd read it the other way. Dropships and Bulk Landers are included in the launch assets section and the spikes for launching is within the same section, I think if they wanted to excluded them it would state clearly that launching them did not generate a spike.

RE: Dropfleet Commander - ians - 06-11-2016

I thought that the drop ships and bulk landers did give spikes.
In launch assets pg 59 Dropships are listed as 'Strike Craft'. Then pg60 states 'Strike Craft and/or Munitions' gain a minor spike.

RE: Dropfleet Commander - jaqenhgar - 06-11-2016

Having had another look at the rules I don't think there is any reason to exclude dropships and bulk landers from the strike craft category. p61 says:

Launch Assets in Orbital Combat

Strike craft and munitions are limited to operating in certain orbital layers.......etc...etc...As such the following limitations apply: Dropships may operate in atmos....etc

So clearly imo they are included as strike craft. Therefore I agree with JJ and Ian that they cause a spike when launched.
It is a bit confusing that they call them Launch Assets and then separately say strike craft and/or munitions. Why not just stick with the general term of launch assets? However, aslo on p62-63 under the heading 'strike craft' there are four subheadings: Fighters, Bombers, Dropships and Bulk Landers. Then on p64 there is a new heading of 'munitions' under which the subheading torpedoes.

Think it's actually pretty clear upon a reread that dropships and bulk landers are strike craft, it's just that you might not envisage them as such.

RE: Dropfleet Commander - scoundrel13 - 07-11-2016

Launching bulk landers and drop ships does cause a minor spike. For Shaltari, I believe only the mothership gains the spike.

RE: Dropfleet Commander - jaqenhgar - 08-11-2016

(07-11-2016, 07:23 PM)scoundrel13 Wrote: Launching bulk landers and drop ships does cause a minor spike. For Shaltari, I believe only the mothership gains the spike.

Sounds right to me, thanks Matt.

RE: Dropfleet Commander - will - 14-11-2016

So I finally have a rulebook (yay). After reading through I think I've spotted a couple of rules that a few of us have been doing wrong. First millitary ground sectors are not limited to 6' range, its also a bit confusing if they can shoot into atmosphere due to the wording of escape velocity. i think they should as the ground is a layer below atmosphere but its not labeled as such clearly in the rules. what do others think?

The other rule is combining close action of groups against the point defence of enemy ships, for the life of me i cant find that rule anywhere. can anyone point it out? (EDIT: I think I found it, it's hidden in the way shooting is resolved. [Allocate ALL dice from group, Roll ALL dice to hit, PD against any close action that happened, roll armour saves, record damage etc...] This make sense? Will leave this in case anyone else wonders the same thing.)

RE: Dropfleet Commander - ians - 14-11-2016

Hi Will, I re-read the section for the military sector and it has defense weapons. In the section for defense weapons it states that the target has to be in range and the range is measured from the center of the cluster which has a 6'" scan range.

There has been a lot of discussion about the escape velocity and different layers on the FB group but my feeling is that yes they can shoot in targets in atmosphere.

Combining shots, this is tricky to find as it's not just close action. On page 46 second column "all a groups attack dice must be allocated between available targets before rolls to hit are made" this would include the close action weapons and only 1 roll of PD would be made against all of them. Smile