Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Necron Rules Queries
Couple of questions about the Doom Scythe's Death Ray:

When you shoot the Death Ray it seems to not follow the normal rules for shooting. You nominate a point within the weapon's range (12") then nominate a second point within 3D6" of the first, draw a straight line between the two points and everything under a line is hit (friendly and enemy), normal wound allocation can occur to any wounds caused. The twin-linked tesla destructor can be fired at one of the units hit by the death ray.

My questions are:

1) can I use the death ray to hit models in combat, in contravention of the normal rules for shooting into combat (as it seems I can also hit my own models if i want!)?

2) can I pre-measure the initial 12" before nominating my first point? It states nominate a point within the weapons range, so does that mean I can't nominate a point outside the range and hence must pre-measure, or does it mean I have to guess the initial point and if it's outside the range I auto miss (like blast templates)? Have seen this on a forum where there was disagreement as to what to do. Obviously I would prefer the former!

3) I'm assuming the second point can be further away than 12", is this correct?

4) I'm also assuming that the tesla destructor has to follow the normal rules for shooting ie it can't shoot at a unit locked in combat, even if the death ray hit that unit.

A ruling on this from Rob and Vince would be great, being the TO's for the upcoming tournament, but would like to see what all the 40K players who have an opinion think.
40K - Dark Angels, Dark Eldar, Necrons; Lord of the Rings - lots; Bloodbowl - Dwarves, Wood Elves; SAGA - Anglo Danes & Welsh; Guildball - Morticians, Engineers; Dropzone/fleet - Shaltari
Will do a bit of internet digging and see what the general consesus is.
40k- Space marines(5000 pts) Imperial guard (3000 pts) Tau (3000 pts)
Epic 40k-Space marines/Imperial Guard(2000 pts)
Infinity Yu jing (Aprox 1000 pts)
Necromunda Escher Mad capsules Avalanche
Blood bowl Skaven
(11-06-2012, 12:43 PM)manrogue Wrote: Will do a bit of internet digging and see what the general consesus is.

OK, I'm pretty certain about the last two points, but not sure about the first two. Will fire one in anger for the first time on the 19th!
40K - Dark Angels, Dark Eldar, Necrons; Lord of the Rings - lots; Bloodbowl - Dwarves, Wood Elves; SAGA - Anglo Danes & Welsh; Guildball - Morticians, Engineers; Dropzone/fleet - Shaltari
(11-06-2012, 12:43 PM)manrogue Wrote: Will do a bit of internet digging and see what the general consesus is.

The GW FAQ was most helpful... Rolleyes

I will also take a look when I get a chance tonight/tomorrow morning as England are playing tonight and I'm off out with a few mates, so I'm not sure if I'll get chance tonight.

But my gut feeling is:
1) From what I can tell you're not shooting at specific targets, just drawing a line. So yes you can hit targets in combat, but I'm not sure how it'd work with wound allocations, I need to read the rules for taking hits in combat from shooting).

2 and 3) You say how far you want, say 9" measure 9" thats your first point, then roll the 3d6, measure to the point you want and that's your second line giving you the distance of the shot.

4) Are you talking about the shot arking off and hitting targets in combat? I say yes they do, but again I want to read the rules again.

Those are my initial gut feelings, without the rulebook or codex(s) infront of me. So stay tuned Smile

Yeah the FAQ didn't cover any of these questions.

thanks confirms what i thought, that you could hit targets in combat with the ray. Wording is the ray causes a hit on the unit for each model in that unit undert the line, so say the line crosses 2 paladins and one necron, the paladins would take two hits, and the necrons one hit. I think normal wound allocation would happen once wounds are rolled for.

'2 and 3) You say how far you want, say 9" measure 9" thats your first point, then roll the 3d6, measure to the point you want and that's your second line giving you the distance of the shot.'

hadn't thought of doing it that way but makes a lot of sense.

Point 4: I was actually meaning that when i fire the tesla i can only fire it at a unit not in combat but hit by the death ray, since the tesla follows normal shooting rules. Regarding the arcing due to the destructor: it would definitely hit a unit in combat on a 6. I think this would hit both units in the combat and I would roll a d6 for each side to see how many S5 hits they take?
(11-06-2012, 11:32 AM)jaqenhgar Wrote: Couple of questions about the Doom Scythe's Death Ray:

When you shoot the Death Ray it seems to not follow the normal rules for shooting. You nominate a point within the weapon's range (12") then nominate a second point within 3D6" of the first, draw a straight line between the two points and everything under a line is hit (friendly and enemy), normal wound allocation can occur to any wounds caused. The twin-linked tesla destructor can be fired at one of the units hit by the death ray.

My questions are:

1) can I use the death ray to hit models in combat, in contravention of the normal rules for shooting into combat (as it seems I can also hit my own models if i want!)?

2) can I pre-measure the initial 12" before nominating my first point? It states nominate a point within the weapons range, so does that mean I can't nominate a point outside the range and hence must pre-measure, or does it mean I have to guess the initial point and if it's outside the range I auto miss (like blast templates)? Have seen this on a forum where there was disagreement as to what to do. Obviously I would prefer the former!

3) I'm assuming the second point can be further away than 12", is this correct?

4) I'm also assuming that the tesla destructor has to follow the normal rules for shooting ie it can't shoot at a unit locked in combat, even if the death ray hit that unit.

A ruling on this from Rob and Vince would be great, being the TO's for the upcoming tournament, but would like to see what all the 40K players who have an opinion think.

ADDITIONAL POINT:
Point 4: I was actually meaning that when i fire the tesla i can only fire it at a unit not in combat but hit by the death ray, since the tesla follows normal shooting rules. Regarding the arcing due to the destructor: it would definitely hit a unit in combat on a 6. I think this would hit both units in the combat and I would roll a d6 for each side to see how many S5 hits they take?

Official ruling:

1) Yes you can hit targets in combat with the death ray

2) say how far you want eg 8", measure to that point, roll the 3d6 and pick a direction, then measure to that point, then count how many models are hit by the line in the squad(s) and allocate wounds as normal to those squads.

3) Yes, up to 12" then 3d6 at a direction of your choice

4) Nope the Tesla Destructor cannot shoot at units locked in combat as per normal rules.

Additional Point: You're correct, all units with 6" of a tesla arc friend or foe take the D6 hits, unless the original target has been destroyed.

Nice one, thanks Rob. If I can keep these things alive they will carve through anything! Awesome Smile
(12-06-2012, 10:45 AM)jaqenhgar Wrote: Nice one, thanks Rob. If I can keep these things alive they will carve through anything! Awesome Smile

Yeah those things are nasty, but they're fragile and lend themselves to be one it wonders coming on from reserve!

Well I am going for a list that has a fast, fragile and deadly element, combined with a (hopefully) solid survivable core. Need to test the list before I submit it for the tourney though. I'm undecided about whether to take 2 Doomscythes and a Nightscythe, or just go all out 3 Doomscythes!!! Will have to see how 3 do next week.
(12-06-2012, 02:06 PM)jaqenhgar Wrote: Well I am going for a list that has a fast, fragile and deadly element, combined with a (hopefully) solid survivable core. Need to test the list before I submit it for the tourney though. I'm undecided about whether to take 2 Doomscythes and a Nightscythe, or just go all out 3 Doomscythes!!! Will have to see how 3 do next week.

Sounds like the makings of a good list I'm gonna guess at warriors in arks as your troops with lords in barges and royal courts with pulses, fast attack I'm gonna guess is wraiths :p

Or immotek with reroll court Wink as your hq