Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sharp Practice
First batch arrived today. Looks like shipping for an additional 6 figures is only 78p, so order placed Smile

That gives me a command set of 6 figures, and 36 troops (3 groups of 12).

Looks like they don't come with bases, so I'll pick up some 25mm MDF circular bases and movement trays.
Figures painted in 2016: 4 Blush
"What this game needs is a panda with a chaingun."
TooFarLardies review of Warbases movement trays: http://toofatlardies.co.uk/blog/?p=789

Si, Steve - what configuration would you recommend for movement trays (Warbases can do custom layouts on request). Guess I'll be looking at the 6x2 trays for troops, or even the 3x2?
You could go for the 3x2, then just tag them side by side for a line, or behind for a column, more variation that way. Still not got my figs yet, so dusting off some British zulu Navy and infantry !! Want to roll up big men now, or before the game on the 19th?
Flames of War- Irish Guards    Bloodbowl- Orcs, Humans
Cutlass- Teddy Bear Pirates     Warhammer- Bretonnia, Ogres
6mm WW2- XXX Corps            28mm WW2- Rules of Engagement, Bolt Action, Chain of Command
28mm Zulu War- Still painting !!  SAGA Normans, Saracens
Bolt Action - German and British Infantry
Malifaux - Gremlins
Guildball - Butchers,Hunters, Farmers
3x2 sounds pretty flexible, so I'll get enough of those for the troops, but leave the Big Men freestanding as Si suggested.

Happy to roll up for Big Men whenever - what's your preference?
Maybe easier to do it before , so that we can get straight into a game
6mm WW2- XXX Corps            28mm WW2- Rules of Engagement, Bolt Action, Chain of Command
Malifaux - Gremlins
(09-06-2012, 11:30 AM)Stuart Wrote: TooFarLardies review of Warbases movement trays: http://toofatlardies.co.uk/blog/?p=789

Si, Steve - what configuration would you recommend for movement trays (Warbases can do custom layouts on request). Guess I'll be looking at the 6x2 trays for troops, or even the 3x2?

Bear in mind that the 95th were a skirmish unit and will more often that not be fighting in open order. Fighting in pairs, 1 to the fore 1 to the rear, in a very open extended line. You'd probably use the trays to move them up in column of march, but as soon as battle is joined take them off the trays and move them around in pairs. This would be different to a normal non light unit, which would need to stay in some kind of formed order. This was not always the case though as was seen in some of the Peninsular sieges. To a certain degree all countries had skirmish units of some kind, with the light companies of a battalion often being deployable as a skirmish screen. I think people generally like the 95th rifles a: because of Bernard Cornwall, b: they probably fought most closest to how modern troops fight.

I think page 48 of the manual deals with skirmish units in more detail. You're bugler is also important.

The trays would be useful for storage. The ones they're using look similar to the GW ones.

Scenario 3 of Fondler is relatively small and straight forward, 30 rifleman and 20 french mounted dragoons, with some simple terrain.

When looking at British units in more detail, you start getting in to a whole new ball game of minutae with the facings, Colours and hats. The 95th ROF were pretty distinct with black collars, cuffs and belt, silver lace, green uniforms and a green plume on the stovepipe shacko.

Si
Thanks Si, I had thought that they might not spend the duration in their movement trays. Thinking about it I might even have a go at magnetising the trays for storage.

There seem to be some good reference resources around for the uniforms. May have to pick up some background texts on the era too - there are a few references mentioned at the back of Song of Drums and Shakos.
still waiting for figures !! Just ordered some more, Highlanders, more french Infantry, some old guard, and some French Hussars !!
Malifaux - Gremlins
Just waiting for one last set of rifles, and some bases! Thinking this lot could be a candidate for quickshade Smile
I've just bought some Avery printable business card sheets, and I'll have a bash at printing out the card decks onto them once I can figure out what's required.