Poll: How many pages would you expect and publication frequency
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Single sided, weekly
0%
0 0%
Double sided, weekly
9.09%
1 9.09%
4 pages, weekly or fortnightly
27.27%
3 27.27%
More than four, but more likely once a month
63.64%
7 63.64%
Total 11 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RedWarNews
I have been considering either creating a podcast for the club, or more recently going down the route of creating a newsletter. The latter is more likely to happen, and is generally easier for people to have access to.

Today I have finally decided to take the plunge, and start the project RedWarNews, our very own newsletter. Can everyone give the idea a think over, and decide what kind of things you would want to see, and anything you might want to contribute, towards the project.

I am currently sat in a post van, but latter I will post a little more information, so keep your eyes pealed. Also Stuart, you offered to creating me an email. I will talk to you about it tomorrow evening.

Last vote should be more than four, but more likely once a month.

VINCES REQUEST -
gareth@redwarsoc.com
gaz@redwarsoc.com
Star Wars Legion - Rebels
Guildball - Alchemists
Blood Bowl - Lizardmen
Would love to do a podcast, would jump on that!
Newsletter does sound like the better option for a starting though.
Anything you need help with feel free to ask as sounds a good idea Gaz. Willing to contribute however i can.
40k- Space marines(5000 pts) Imperial guard (3000 pts) Tau (3000 pts)
Epic 40k-Space marines/Imperial Guard(2000 pts)
Infinity Yu jing (Aprox 1000 pts)
Necromunda Escher Mad capsules Avalanche
Blood bowl Skaven
<club funding hat on>
Advertising space?
</club funding hat off>
Figures painted in 2016: 4 Blush
"What this game needs is a panda with a chaingun."
The idea of pushing club news out is a good one. Some very random points that may have already been considered, but worth highlighting anyway:

What form would the newsletter take? Just an email, or PDF attachment? The mention of page count would infer the latter, and would lend itself to being printed out for noticeboards, etc.

Audience - I presume this would be sent to those who have registered on the forum, and anyone else who has registered an interest via the main website. I can collate these into one list for you, together with a record of those who wish to unsubscribe (important that we offer this facility). Perhaps we include various retailers in the distribution list too.
How was you thinking of distributing it Gaz? Printed, PDF or both?
Will it just feature news based around the Clubs going on? Or of the wider gaming scene?
Are you going to run articles in it?
Sorry for the barrage of questions, just smashing them on here while i remember!
Edit- Ninja'd by stu!
Blood bowl Skaven
Nice idea. If it is pure news prob one sheet will do, but if articles maybe a couple of diff. people could contribute each time, give a side each on a game system and/or force with tactics and/or background. In that case four pages fortnightly would be good, with contributors having a week to get their articles done and leaving Gaz enough time to put together.
40K - Dark Angels, Dark Eldar, Necrons; Lord of the Rings - lots; Bloodbowl - Dwarves, Wood Elves; SAGA - Anglo Danes & Welsh; Guildball - Morticians, Engineers; Dropzone/fleet - Shaltari
I would be up for collaborating on any form of newsletter or podcast. My writing talent may be lacking but I'd be willing to draft up some articles based around tabletop gaming news, model reviews, opinion pieces or heck even club related shenanigans.

On reflex I believe the newsletter/podcast should focus on the tabletop gaming world at large in order to broaden the appeal for non-local readers/listeners, say 80%, with the remaining 20% to highlight perhaps an awesome game played at the club, progress of club ventures e.g Cutlass board, and to generally promote how amazing our tea and coffee facilities are. This means we can target the publication to a wider audience which in turn will help promote the club.

Should RedWarNews take on the form of a newsletter then I'd personally prefer a PDF distributed via email and published on our front page. This way we have the best of both worlds; the newsletter can be printed on demand and is also available to those on our mailing lists and anyone who happens by the site. The club is also seen as being active by those who just flick on to our main, another bonus.

From my view point a monthly newsletter/podcast would be ideal as there is a vastly reduced level of stress from the need to provide sustenance of a weekly digest for what is essentially volunteer work.

(30-04-2012, 10:56 AM)Stuart Wrote: <club funding hat on>
Advertising space?
</club funding hat off>

Fantastic idea! Once we've achieved a reader base we can contact our LGS, Total Wargamer, and various other retailers and purveyors of minis for some advertising.

Tl;dr - Newsletter or Podcast. Monthly. Focus on gaming world with club promotion.
Warmachine (Retribution of Scyrah, Khador), Hordes (Trollbloods, Blindwater Congregation), Bolt Action (IJA Infantry Section, Soviet Russia Armoured Platoon), SAGA (Norse-Gaels (WIP)), Deadzone (Enforcers, Forge Fathers)
(30-04-2012, 05:33 PM)Etched Oracle Wrote: The club is also seen as being active by those who just flick on to our main, another bonus.

This is a good idea - something I've been meaning to do for ages is revamp the main website to present more detail about the club, and incorporate the blog into the main page and get members to contribute content - perhaps articles too large for the newsletter.

If it was aimed at the wider gaming community, we are blessed with a lot of people who play alot of different systems and are clued up on them, which could be exploited very easily.
You could do Battle reports from different systems, terrain building etc etc.
I would start out with something basic though(walk before you run Tongue), maybe start monthly and get some stuff sorted way before you want it. That way your never rushing to meet deadlines and you have plenty of time to organise what you want in the newsletter.
Have some fall back articles as well, at least then in worse case scenario you will have something to fall back on should something you want in it not materialise.

Blood bowl Skaven
Argh, meant to put some time aside for a chat about this tonight. Let me know what you need in the way of graphics etc. Gaz and I'll see to it.