Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shuuro / Chess
You may or may not have heard or a game called Shuuro, or "Creative Chess," but it was the brain child of Alessio Calvatore. If you know how to play Chess, then the basics of game play will be hiding somewhere, in your brain.

Basically imagine a game where you could have Three Queens, Four Rooks, but only Six Pawns. What if you fancied rocking up to battle with an army of Bishops and Knights, and the foot sloggers in support. The first part of the game is like our beloved War-games, army selection. You have 800 points to purchase your force, with caps on duplicates of pieces, such as 8 Bishops.

Next comes terrain, or as I call them the Fudge. On a 12x12 chess board, you break it up into four 6x6 sections, and randomly determine via a 2d6 roll the place of a fudge ( one d6 for row, one for column.) The effect of the fudge in game is quite significant, as they block movement off. No piece can move through a fudge, and only a knight can land on a fudge occupied square.

Then comes the piece set up, with certain rules. One piece at a time, with alternating players, you deploy your force ready for battle. Then the game commences, after a dice roll to decide who begins, with first checkmate achieving victory.

Personally I tried a Pawn heavy army, and have seen three of the fudge sit on my third row. I had to deploy pawns directly behind the fudge and they acted as a blockage in my battle line all game. So whilst there us a degree of tactical nous, sometimes Lady Luck does not smile favourably.

I will try to bring Shuuro along each week, (the fact it has been sat in the boot of my car since the end or march will help with that,) and if anyone fancies giving it a go, maybe after your planned game has ended, by all means feel free.