Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
High Elf Army List
So I've bought Island of Blood (off Total Wargamer - delivered on time Smile) and the High Elf Army book and am thinking about a 2000pt list.

I've got all the models, plus a few more, and was wondering if anyone could tell me if this list looks any good, I haven't played fantasy since 2nd edition and haven't digested the rules yet, anyway here's the list:

Teclis (could take Eltharion on Griffon instead)
10 Archers
10 Archers
10 Lothern Seaguard - shield
25 Spearmen - full command
20 Swordsmen of Hoeth - full command
10 Silver Helms - full command
10 Ellyrian Reavers - spear and bow
9 Shadow Warriors
A repeater bolt thrower

Comes to 1999 points. I have got some other models but not that many: another bolt thrower, a few mages and heroes, some more swordsmen of hoeth and more reavers, oh and a very old tiranoc chariot.

Any thoughts from those who play fantasy would be appreciated - is there anything really rubbish in the list or am I missing something really good. Going to do a bit of painting and read the rules and then keen to get a game in sometime!
40K - Dark Angels, Dark Eldar, Necrons; Lord of the Rings - lots; Bloodbowl - Dwarves, Wood Elves; SAGA - Anglo Danes & Welsh; Guildball - Morticians, Engineers; Dropzone/fleet - Shaltari
Leave Swordmasters at home. With onlly T3 and As 5+ they die very quickly. In combat they are lethal but any wise opponent will shot them to pieces before they will see combat.
WFB (DE) 2014...W-D-L...2-0-0
Been meaning to comment on this. Thanks for the refresher Andy.

1 - Teclis is the bomb, but fragile as glass. You need a decent sized unit to stop him getting shot to pieces. A unit of under 5, will not allow him a look out sir, and ballistic missile fire can get randomised onto him. Easiest way to deal with him is to shoot him.

2 - None of your units are big enough. As useful as it is to have two small units of bowmen with the ability to split targets, you will find that 8th edition is about big units. You will struggle to delete enough of an incoming combat unit, with 20 shots as it is, but you will just be offering easy points to your opponent, by splitting them up.

3 - Sea Guard are poor. You are paying a premium for the ability to carry a spear and shield on your bowmen, but are sacrificing range on their bows. Its annoying as the IoB set contains some nice looking models, but I would rather save the points, and turn them into bowmen.

4 - I disagree with Andy on his views over the Swordmasters. They will delete a unit in combat, and as he said they will get shot to pieces, but Andy's view is based on his experiences with Dark Elves, an army where everyone carries a bow. Against many other forces (Chaos, VC, Orcs, Brets, Beasts, most 7th Ed Empire builds, Orges, Tomb Kings, Skaven,) the number of non-warmachine shots are at a premium. Of the 3 Special foot troop disciplines, they are the strongest, but also the most fragile. However a Life wielding Teclis, would be able to give them high toughness, and regen, meaning their survivability goes sky high.

5 - If you want Cavalry use the Dragon Princes. Drop the Silver Helms and Reavers, and take a nice bus of better knights. The ability to take a magic standard and a magic item are priceless.

Of course it's your army, and you are free to take what you want too. But I would advise strongly at a minimum to increase unit size to 20-30 models (on foot.) You will finding it hard to get many units on the table, but thats to be expected using an elite force. Smaller units, especially at T3 will get deleted, and your magic buffs, cannot be everywhere at once.

Oh and be aware, Andy will probably destroy you 9 times out of 10 even with advise, but thats because his army book is bent.
Star Wars Legion - Rebels
Guildball - Alchemists
Blood Bowl - Lizardmen
Thanks for the comments guys, really helpful. I will probably look at getting more spearmen, a unit of white lions and some dragon princes at some point, but would like to get some games in before then with a sub-optimal list, to get used to the new rules. I know what you mean about the sword masters being fragile, but then elves are so I will try them out, perhaps using some sort of magic to protect them. The lions/phoenix guard look a lot more survivable but don't hit as hard. i will prob drop the seaguard then once I have enough core (more archers and spearmen) but at the mo I'm struggling to make up 25% of a 2000pt list. Think I may also drop Teclis for a normal archmage and a noble to boost the silver helms a bit, at least until I am more comfortable with how magic works, otherwise all eggs in one (fragile) basket.

Are the reavers not good for chasing down fleeing units or trying to take out warmachines? I guess Eagles might be better for this job?

OK here is a revised list:

Archmage - level 4 (with Spearmen)
Noble - barded steed, ha, shield, greatsword.
20 Archers
25 spearmen - full command
10 Lothern Sea Guard (could use these to proxy archers)
10 Silver Helms - full command
2 X 5 Reavers (split so they can harry opponents army (get in way/charge warmachines/fleeing units)
21 Swordsmen Hoeth - full command
RBT
RBT
Then rest of points on magic items/more swordsmen (up to 28) - still need to read all the items you can take. Only got to Combat section in the rulebook so far! Don't have my book with me so not sure on the points of this list.

May also try Eltahrion on a griffon as well, seeing as I have the model and it's painted, shame not to give him a bash.

I don't mind taking a beating to start with - see what works and what doesn't. Then I will crush you all!! Especially my avowed enemy the Dark Elves....
40K - Dark Angels, Dark Eldar, Necrons; Lord of the Rings - lots; Bloodbowl - Dwarves, Wood Elves; SAGA - Anglo Danes & Welsh; Guildball - Morticians, Engineers; Dropzone/fleet - Shaltari
(10-04-2012, 02:25 PM)jaqenhgar Wrote: Then I will crush you all!! Especially my avowed enemy the Dark Elves....

Can't wait. My DE are looking forward to it.
WFB (DE) 2014...W-D-L...2-0-0
Only played twice with my bretonnians, after a very long time away. Always looking to be reconquered!!
Flames of War- Irish Guards    Bloodbowl- Orcs, Humans
Cutlass- Teddy Bear Pirates     Warhammer- Bretonnia, Ogres
6mm WW2- XXX Corps            28mm WW2- Rules of Engagement, Bolt Action, Chain of Command
28mm Zulu War- Still painting !!  SAGA Normans, Saracens
Bolt Action - German and British Infantry
Malifaux - Gremlins
Guildball - Butchers,Hunters, Farmers
(10-05-2012, 09:47 PM)Noisysteve Wrote: Only played twice with my bretonnians, after a very long time away. Always looking to be reconquered!!

Sound tempting Steve Big Grin If you're around on the 22nd May do you fancy a game?
My friend who is coming to the club tomorrow thinks that your army is awesome and he collects high elves too. He thinks that Teclis should never be dis included from an army of that scale. Wink
My armies!
28mm Ancients:Early Imperial Romans (Roman invasion of Britainnia and Germainia with segmented armour) Legio II Augusta along with Praetorian Guard
15mm ww2: British infantry company (ussaully, thought I got a company of tanks)
28mm Napleonics: Austrain- 1st Landwehr (Silly hats)

History lover

"They were the first Greeks, as far as I know, to charge at a run, and the first to dare look without flinching at Persian dress and the men who wore it; for until that day came, no Greek could even hear the word Persian without terror." -Herodotus

I hate elves !!
Flames of War- Irish Guards    Bloodbowl- Orcs, Humans
Cutlass- Teddy Bear Pirates     Warhammer- Bretonnia, Ogres
6mm WW2- XXX Corps            28mm WW2- Rules of Engagement, Bolt Action, Chain of Command
28mm Zulu War- Still painting !!  SAGA Normans, Saracens
Bolt Action - German and British Infantry
Malifaux - Gremlins
Guildball - Butchers,Hunters, Farmers
(23-07-2012, 02:47 PM)40knerd99 Wrote: My friend who is coming to the club tomorrow thinks that your army is awesome and he collects high elves too. He thinks that Teclis should never be dis included from an army of that scale. Wink

Cheers! Haven't tried Teclis yet - I've heard he's a bit broken, don't want to annoy anyone by fielding him. Maybe I'll try him one day if my opponent doesn't mind.

Sorry Steve, they're the only Fantasy army I have! Anyway, a loathing of your enemy helps get the blood flowing for a good battle!