Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Waaagh!
The Green Tide approaches!

As you can probably guess by the name of this thread, I am starting an Ork army!

This is not a random event that I just fancied some Orkiness, as I have pondered and did in fact plan on getting some previously. However, I eventually settled on IG, and nicked Dad's off of him Big Grin. Then I've never really considered getting another 40K force. However, recently, I've been spending way too much of my day on the internet looking into getting some. In the end, I decided to use Total Wargamer's 25% off this weekend on GW stuff to get myself the Assault on Black Reach. I did this, as the Battleforce is more of an army booster (in my opinion), so I didn't really like the idea of spending £55 odd on something that I'd then have to go and buy a HQ for aswell. However, I realised that, for just £1.50 more, I could get the Assault on Black Reach which, not only comes with an entire Space Marine force, rulebook, dice, etc., but also comes with more Orky goodness! Plus, I would get the Deffcopters (which you can't buy anywhere else) and the completely awesome-looking Ork Warboss that only comes with the Assault on Black Reach starter set, which I quite like. That way, I would get my two Troops choices (two squads of ten Ork Boyz), my HQ (Ork Warboss), a really nice squad of exclusive Deffcopters and an Elite squad of Ork Nobz. I might consider getting some Ork Bikers, too, as I love the speedy things for Orks, as they just seem so awesome!

I will be doing a lot of converting in this force, as I haven't properly had a chance to do a converting-heavy force yet, and I have been dreaming of going ballistic on a whole army with various bits and pieces. There are a few things that I have in mind to do, but any suggestions would be welcome. I already know what I think that I'm going to do on the Warboss and Deffcopters, but I'm not too sure of any good Boyz conversions.

For the campaign, I'll use my IG, but for any other games, I'd like to try out the Orks.
McDonalds Chicken Nuggets.

Warhammer Fantasy (Orcs and Goblins)
Warhammer 40,000 (Orks)
Warmachine (Protectorate of Menoth)
Bushido (Prefecture of Ryu)
Infinity (Yu-Jing)
Warpath (ForgeFathers)
Cutlass! (Undead)
What kind of ork force are you going for?
Horde, battle wagon spam or killer kan spam etc?
40k- Space marines(5000 pts) Imperial guard (3000 pts) Tau (3000 pts)
Epic 40k-Space marines/Imperial Guard(2000 pts)
Infinity Yu jing (Aprox 1000 pts)
Necromunda Escher Mad capsules Avalanche
Blood bowl Skaven
(26-02-2012, 05:26 PM)manrogue Wrote: What kind of ork force are you going for?
Horde, battle wagon spam or killer kan spam etc?

"Speed, coz red fings go fasta, yu see!"

Bikers, Deffcopters, you get the idea.

Warhammer 40,000 (Orks)
Infinity (Yu-Jing)
Warpath (ForgeFathers)
Cutlass! (Undead)
Well one piece of advice i would give if you are planning on putting your boys in trucks/battlewagons is give them extra armour, last thing you want to happen is your vehicles spending a turn not moving.
Other than that, the main thing is to arrange a core and build on that.
Blood bowl Skaven
(26-02-2012, 05:33 PM)manrogue Wrote: Well one piece of advice i would give if you are planning on putting your boys in trucks/battlewagons is give them extra armour, last thing you want to happen is your vehicles spending a turn not moving.
Other than that, the main thing is to arrange a core and build on that.

Thanks, I was planning on having something like 3 trucks, maybe a biker Nobz squad, a couple of normal biker squads, some buggies and my Deffcopters. Probably some Lootas and also some Nobz and maybe Kommandos, but that's about it. As I begin to get to grips with how they play, I'll probably go for a more armoured force (Battlewagons, Killakans, Deff Dreads, etc.).

Warhammer 40,000 (Orks)
Infinity (Yu-Jing)
Warpath (ForgeFathers)
Cutlass! (Undead)
Personally, i'd put everthing in transports with red paint and extra armour. Last thing you want is to arrive piece meal, allows other armies to deal with you to easily and pick apart your units.
Want all your stuff to turn up at the same time and swarm the opponent. Orks can't hit with shooting for toffee, so your better off rushing them across the board asap and going for the assualt. Take burnas where possible as you won't have to rely on your dice hitting on 5+.
If you do have foot slogging units, hug cover and run rather than shoot unless the odds are really stacked in your favour.
Blood bowl Skaven
Unless its a great target, you want to be running with your units always. The longer it takes for you to get into combat is more orks dead, which can blunt your cutting edge if you arn't carefull....well, its not really a cutting edge, more of a sledge hammer Tongue
Here's a mock list, just to see what I can get for 1500pts:

HQ
Warboss: 60pts
Power Klaw: 25pts
Twin-Linked Shoota: 5pts
Cyborg Body: 10pts
Bosspole: 5pts
'Eavy Armour: 5pts
110pts

Elites
5 Nob Bikers: 225pts
Stikkbombs: 5pts
3 Power Klaws: 75pts
'Eavy Armour: 25pts
3 Waaagh! Banners: 45pts
375pts

5 Lootas: 75pts

Troops
10 Ork Boyz: 60pts
Big Shoota: 5pts
Nob: 10pts
75pts

'Ard Boyz: 40pts
Nob:10pts
Power Klaw: 25pts
140pts

75pts

Trukk: 35pts
Red Paint Job: 5pts
Armour Plates: 10pts
Reinforced Ram: 5pts
55pts

55pts

55pts

Fast Attack
6 Warbikers: 150pts
160pts

6 Warbikers: 150pts
160pts

3 Deffkoptas: 105pts
3 Twin-linked Rokkit Launchas: 30pts
2 Bigbomms: 30pts
165pts

Total: 1500pts (Exactly!)

That's just a rough idea, and I'm open to suggestions for improving it.
(26-02-2012, 06:11 PM)Nick Wrote: ...more of a sledge hammer...

Well, I think that even a sledge hammer is an understatement. More of a train hitting you in the face!

Warhammer 40,000 (Orks)
Infinity (Yu-Jing)
Warpath (ForgeFathers)
Cutlass! (Undead)
I dont see the point in big shootas for your boys, i would personally drop them, as they are either going to be moving flat out in the transports, in combat or running in the shooting phase. I would also add extra boys, so you can take losses and still be fearless because you cant afford to get caught in sweeping advances with initiative 2, and i would be carefull with the Nobz bikes, they look very very expensive, so you will have to work hard to get your points worth out of them, esspecially in smaller games where points can be tight. I also think that you might struggle vs really heavy armour on tanks, as i think you have only a few models that could take down something at armour 14, but then again thats a fairly rare occurence outside of marine players. Skimmers might be an issue though, i would hate to see you face Rob, as you would only be hitting his vehicles on 6s so he can just run around and blast your coptas down, so very soon you will have nothing that could hurt him.
Thats alot of power klaws in the bike squad as well, would maybe be better to spread them into your boyz a bit more maybe?
Also maybe mount your boss on warbike as well to lead the nobz?
Blood bowl Skaven