Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Worth the points?
Would appreciate any input on this. Trying to plan out the start of a 1500 point list for my imperial guard and i'm confused by the upgrades for command squads. For 30 points i can upgrade any command squad with a medic, giving them feel no pain, but i dont know if its worth it for the platoon commands. I mean, i'm going to be taking at least 2 platoons, so thats 60 points. That's 4 more plasma guns, or a mortar team, or an infantry squad......you get the picture, just asking if 30 points for feel no pain for only 5 models is worth it, for the one order per turn they can give out. Another thing is melee weapons, is it worth giving my platoon commands (and my Company commander at that) power fists and power weapons? Each one is the price of a plasma/melta gun, and i think i'd rather have the firepower, seen as i doubt that i'd have chance to use the melee weapons in close combat if i got charged by most things lol. Anyways, would appreciate any thoughts anyone has.
I personal would rather upgrade with more firepower as i don't think the a command squad will last that long against any decent firepower even with FNP.
Might even be better to put them in a chimera (5 points more i think) and have them issue orders from in there?
40k- Space marines(5000 pts) Imperial guard (3000 pts) Tau (3000 pts)
Epic 40k-Space marines/Imperial Guard(2000 pts)
Infinity Yu jing (Aprox 1000 pts)
Necromunda Escher Mad capsules Avalanche
Blood bowl Skaven
Chimera is 55 points. One list i may do in the future is a mechanized infantry build, but atm i'd rather start off a bit more balanced. I'll be getting FNP for my HQ command squad, but wasnt sure about the other 2.
renember feel no pain doesnt work agasint instant death so ap4/5? and stregth 6 weapons are killing them just 2 heavybolters in one turn
chimera is 55 pts?!?!
More expensive than a Razorback! Lol.
Worthwhile for definite on your HQ choice, just don't see the benefit on the other two. 5 IG guys are not gonna last long under any decent firepower, even with FNP.
A couple of melta guns instead could pop a vehicle that wins you the game, although i'd probably keep the special weapons in the command squad light as i'd personally rather keep them at back giving out orders.
Blood bowl Skaven
(16-02-2012, 08:57 PM)manrogue Wrote: chimera is 55 pts?!?!
More expensive than a Razorback! Lol.
Worthwhile for definite on your HQ choice, just don't see the benefit on the other two. 5 IG guys are not gonna last long under any decent firepower, even with FNP.
A couple of melta guns instead could pop a vehicle that wins you the game, although i'd probably keep the special weapons in the command squad light as i'd personally rather keep them at back giving out orders.

More firepower than a razorback though, packs a multilaser and heavy bolter as standard, and can have 5 models fire out of top hatch. I could always drop the special weapons altogether and take the 90 point special character upgrade, gives out 4 orders a turn, rather than 2, with a bigger command range. Thats a lot of twin-linked heavy weapons and rerolled cover saves a turn......
Might just give them a plasma gun then, and leave it at that. Will be taking the company standard though, and a vox operator, and will probably advance the HQ command up with the infantry to claim objectives later in the game, the extra orders and the company standard should help them finish off the straglers in an enemy force, along with all the firepower and support weapons i've managed to fit in Tongue
FNP is not worth it, get the guns in and do what IG do best! Smile
Would it not be better to have a vendetta/valkyrie with some troops in reserve to serve that purpose?
That way could sit your command way back, take the upgrades you mention, and shoot the hell out of the other guy.
By the time your vendetta/valkyrie squad turns up it should be able to fly straight across the board and claim the objectives, without taking masses of damage?
As it is not a dedicated transport, could it not also ferry things from your backline onto other objectives once the intial one is claimed?
Blood bowl Skaven
Planning on having a Valkyrie with 10 veterans in it, along with 10 infiltrating storm troopers, 2 melta guns, 2 plasma guns and a grenade launcher betweem them, going to use them for reinforcing objectives early while the infantry advance
Curious now to see a mock 1500 pt army list to see what you would take, troop heavy list i take it?
Blood bowl Skaven