Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VC Starter Army
Lords
Vampire Lord - 2 Extra magic levels, Heavy armour, Talisman of Endurance, Additional hand weapon, Dragon Helm, Quickblood
370 points

Heroes
Wight King - Battle Standard, Shield
114 points

Vampire - Heavy armour, Shield, Extra magic level
146 points

Special

3 Vargheists - Champion
148 points

10 Black Knights - Champion, Standard, Musician, Barding and Lances
290 points

Core

50 Zombies - Standard
155 points

40 Skeleton Warriors - Standard, Musician
220 points

Total = 1443 Points

Any thoughts or ideas? Thats what i've got to start with, comments/advice appreciated Tongue

Edit: Changed the list to reflect what i currently have built. Deciding on what to spend the last 57 points on, possibly on more stuff for my Vampire, or maybe a magic standard or something.
not sure why you have zombies in your list really i havent seen the new codex nor this edition rules
BUT zombies hav always been a unit to summon with magic in the back lines of the enemy rather than have on the front lines
also dont have any comands at all with your basic core units
but these tips are from the past so haps with rules changes i could be wrong
Zombies get no champions, and both skeleton warrior units have full command upgrades, hence why i said champion, standard and musician for both, why would you think otherwise? Plus summoning zombies relies on actually rolling to take the spell, something i dont want to leave to chance, so i'd rather take the more reliable route of putting in some squads, and just keep replacing losses through the basic spell of the Lore of Vampires, which i can always choose to take instead of rolling for a spell. The basic spell of Lore of Vampires replaces lost units or wounds to any undead model within 6", and for zombies it would replace 2D6 + the casters magic level. In my case it would be 2D6 + 3, meaning an average of 10 units replaced per magic phase, and they can be increased beyond the starting size, so after just a few magic phases, i should have a nice big horde of them, without them increasing the points value of the army.
Yes and no Alan. Yes you can still summon a fresh unit, however there is now no way to guarantee that you get the relevant spell, at such a low points level. As for the no portion, in a lower points value army, I feel that Zombies are a useful tar-pitting unit. At 3 points per model, it is now easier to take a larger unit. Zombies still suck, but a big unit, can certainly get in the way, and possibly hang around for a while. I would look at dropping the 2 units and taking one, big 40 model unit, having also dropped the musician. Get them into a vital unit of your opponent, and get something with more punch into the flank.
Star Wars Legion - Rebels
Guildball - Alchemists
Blood Bowl - Lizardmen
Thanks for the advice, i was just going to keep my vampire with them though, and just keep spamming the Invocation of Nehek to keep adding units to them, so within 2 magic phases i should have 2 units of 40, rather than 2 units of 20. And looking at the rules for Vargheists, Hexwraiths and Black Knights, i dont think getting harder hitting stuff into the flanks would be a massive problem.
Add a Wight King Battle Standard Bearer into the force. Never underestimate the power of re-rolling a Frenzy test.
Guildball - Alchemists
Blood Bowl - Lizardmen
Would it be worth adding a Vampire standard bearer for a higher points force? Thought it might be worth the points, seen as he can double as another Wizard too. Really want to take a Coven Throne, but it would put a Vampire Lord's cost to close to 600 points, more if i want decent wargear and vampiric powers, so i cant take it for smaller games than about 2500 points. What size games do you normally play at the club, and i'll sort out something around that size?
http://www.manticgames.com/Shop-Home/Sal...inued.html
^ 10 skeleton warriors for £5.99 on there, plus some other undead bits that you might like....
40k- Space marines(5000 pts) Imperial guard (3000 pts) Tau (3000 pts)
Epic 40k-Space marines/Imperial Guard(2000 pts)
Infinity Yu jing (Aprox 1000 pts)
Necromunda Escher Mad capsules Avalanche
Blood bowl Skaven
Mantic skeletons are awkward. Half come Spear equipped and hame Sword equipped. As Fantasy units cannot contain mixed weapons, it means you are causing a WYSIWYG issue. I can't imagine anyone having a problem at the club, but if Nick ever fancied going to a tournament, he would need to consider that. Sometimes cheap doesn't mean the best.
Guildball - Alchemists
Blood Bowl - Lizardmen
Buy two box sets of the mantic ones and you then have the option of having either with more models, at half the price of the GW ones!
: P
40k- Space marines(5000 pts) Imperial guard (3000 pts) Tau (3000 pts)
Epic 40k-Space marines/Imperial Guard(2000 pts)
Infinity Yu jing (Aprox 1000 pts)
Necromunda Escher Mad capsules Avalanche
Blood bowl Skaven