Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Example space marine army lists
Couple of the newer guys have asked about example army list so i thought i would create a thread with example army lists and there roles. All are 1500 point lists.
Horde control army
This list has served me well against orks on multiple occasions, can be modified to work against tyranids as well.
HQ
Chapter master with artificer armour,melta bombs, lightning claw and storm bolter= 163
Troops
10 man tactical squad,plasma cannon, flamer, sergeant with power fist and storm bolter, Razorback =243
10 man tactical squad, plasma cannon, plasma gun, sergeant with power fist and bolter= 210
Elite
5 man Terminator squad with either cyclone missile launcher or assualt cannon= 230
Dreadnought with assault cannon, close combat weapon and heavy flamer= 125
Heavy support
Whirlwind = 85
land raider crusader, multi melta= 260
7 man Devastator squad with 4 missile launchers= 182
total= 1498
If i was facing orks would leave as is, tyranids i would change something to get some scouts with camo cloaks and sniper rifles in.
This is a very shooty army, and if deployed right can kill alot of foot models or light armour vehicles. I think the whirlwind is a must as it ignores cover saves and and has ap 5, ignoring most ork saves. Deploy this behind some line of sight blocking terrain.
split everthing bar devs into 5 man tactical squads, putting the one 5 man with flamer and serg with power fist and storm bolter in razorback with chap master. They are your reactionary force, and can shoot with flamer and storm bolter before assaulting, so use them to tie up units at a distance allowing you to pick off other units. If you can use your orbital bombardment nice and early on either a heavy vehicle or some elite infantry(s 10 ap 1!)
Depending on the mission, you can have your terminators in the land raider or if its is objectives put a 10 man in the landraider and objective camp with it.
Deploy your devs with a good line of sight, in the open if need be. Orks are rubbish shots, and if you can hit squads with 4 frags a turn or a light vehicle squad with 4 kraks, they won't last long! if they do get hit, you have two spare models to take off as wounds and would take off the serg to keep the 4 missiles going as long as poss.
Set your to 5 man combat squads with plasma cannons in areas with good line of sight on any elite infantry, plasma cannons are ap2 blast weapons, great at killing heavy armour models.
your other 5 man with power fist and bolter and plasma gun can be used to press forwards and hold squads up or sit back and react to danger.
Use your dreadnought as a distraction, to try and ward away anything from getting at your squads.
Its hard to go into to much detail, as alot will depend on your tactical thinking and reacting to your opponents tactics but that should be a reasonable foundation to work off. You may want change things about to suit your own style of play, or you might be happy just to take that list. You'll discover more as you play and i am always happy to talk tactics at the group or on here, and remember, if you want to try something out, proxy it first then buy the model, or you could end up with something you don't like!
40k- Space marines(5000 pts) Imperial guard (3000 pts) Tau (3000 pts)
Epic 40k-Space marines/Imperial Guard(2000 pts)
Infinity Yu jing (Aprox 1000 pts)
Necromunda Escher Mad capsules Avalanche
Blood bowl Skaven
try that list against me next time i dare u with ur ''hord control'' list in truth theres only ever been 2 space marine armies i fear to play agasint and have a tough time beating
(28-09-2011, 01:54 PM)sprogmcjob Wrote: try that list against me next time i dare u with ur ''hord control'' list in truth theres only ever been 2 space marine armies i fear to play agasint and have a tough time beating

Lol, as mentioned more of a ork horde control list, would go different against tyranids. Also reasonably cheap model wise. And already have a nice list planned for our next game. Tongue
Blood bowl Skaven
Shame no-one else does dark eldar atm, would be nice to have someone to leech knowledge off. no idea if i'm doing any good or not so far lol.
Seem to be doing okay to me, use your fast vehicles effectively to stay out of range/sight and then disembarking at the right times to assault.
Blood bowl Skaven
guess its down to practice really, its a bit of a complex army sometimes. A single bad shooting phase can make things very interesting....and by interesting, i mean desperately trying to salvage some form of workable battle plan while half your vehicles are burning wrecks, and your troops are either stranded or dead ^_^ pretty damn fun to play though, i must admit
Lol, thats why i wanted to do a mechanized eldar list, looked fun.
Opted instead to go shooty but mechanized tau instead. Plan to go quite devilfish heavy and zip about a bit markerlighting people!
Blood bowl Skaven
Thats what Matt was using last night, was a very mobile force alltogether, and he had a pretty strong firebase regardless. He set up really well, presented me with lots of targets that he knew i couldnt afforde to leave unchopped