Poll: Fancy coming along and helping out?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yep, count me in.
70.00%
7 70.00%
Might be able to, not sure yet.
30.00%
3 30.00%
Total 10 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gloucester MiniCon 2012 - Sunday 29th January
Right-o, I've offered our services to the event organisers. Cheers chaps.
Figures painted in 2016: 4 Blush
"What this game needs is a panda with a chaingun."
(25-08-2011, 02:03 PM)Gareth Wrote: Way out idea, but plenty of time to arrange it if people don't think it's too crazy. We could run a huge Warmahordes unbound game. With 4 activation groups per side, then you could get 8 people participating per battle. Run along side a few demo tables, we would have a sizable presence.
Only down side would be the amount of figures to paint up, and the waiting around between a players activation, could prove tedious. But it would be quite spectacular to see.

It would be great to a see a game on that scale, although I would guess that the intention of the participation games is maybe to just give people who are unfamiliar the game a quick intro, so 1 on 1 might be better suited to that purpose. Depending on the attendance it might also be tricky to drum up 8 players for the duration of the game.
Well I wasn't thinking of rounding up 8 people and throwing them into a game. More the way it works is the sides get split into 4 sections. If we took a few people down, they could be playing the unbound game, and if people wanted to participate they could take over one of the groupings, and join in or drop out as they see fit, without it really effecting the flow if the game too much.
I'm thinking along the lines of a Games Day participation game. You often see people standing around waiting to play, but not many stay until the completion. But when they wander off someone else takes over their squad/unit/vehicle etc. Depending on numbers you could have say two or more people running demos, and several others playing unbound. It might even work on a mini graduation scheme. Play a demo so you know how to allocate use focus / fury, move a unit, attack etc, then you can join the larger battle.
Anyway plenty of time to think about what we are doing, although with terrain creation and model painting to consider, getting the discussion flowing ASAP is a good idea.
Star Wars Legion - Rebels
Guildball - Alchemists
Blood Bowl - Lizardmen
That kind of dipping in could work, and it sounds like the "pulsing" nature of the turns wouldn't leave players hanging around for an age as they might if it were 40K Apocalypse.

We'd need a lot of models though - and who knows, Maelstrom may even have stock by January.
Just made contact with the event organiser, and it sounds like our offer of hosting a Warmachine table would be of interest.
Are you talking about the Unbound game, because I have been giving it a little more thought? Whilst not strictly correct by the rules, the two sides could be split, Hordes vs Warmachine, with several factions representing each game system. Throw Mercs and Minions in as the casterless/warlockless activation and then painting the models up becomes far easier.
Star Wars Legion - Rebels
Guildball - Alchemists
Blood Bowl - Lizardmen
I pitched both the suggestions of the 2-player battlebox and the Unbound game, but having just heard back from the event organiser with more details of what they have planned, we may have to scale it down:
  • The participation games are intended to last between 30 and 45 minutes, supported by a minimum of 2 and maximum of 3 people, and provide a simple intro to the game for those unfamiliar with it.

• In light of the above he has suggested we could even consider just running games of 1 warcaster with a couple of warjacks, and possibly Warmachine vs. Hordes to provide a flavour of each.

• Tables are allocated in the first instance as one per club, with a second round of proposals for remaining tables; Bushido, Malifaux or Infinity perhaps? The latter would be a popular choice with the event organiser, as he is a keen player but otherwise engaged on the day.

• There will be a series of three meetings before the event; one to finalise the activities, one to clear up any financial implications and remaining business, then finally a dress rehearsal day where we put on a game for other volunteers to get feedback.

• Those running the games get free entry, and they are also seeking volunteers to help manage the door, run the trading stand and generally just help out.

It was also suggested that one or more of our number consider applying to become a Pressganger (I know one or two have toyed with this idea) since they could get credit for this event.
i can offer my hordes army if needed then although cricle are a tough frist fraction to get into hordes
Cheers Alan, it's good to have as many options as possible.

From talking it through with some of you tonight it sounds like we can certainly host a Warmachine table at the very least, and knock up some nice scenery based on something from Iron Kingdoms history.

There's also scope to host an Infinity table if anyone is interested.

And we need t-shirts!

Let me know if you're definitely interested in supporting this event, and we can start to move our plan forward.
Added a poll to this thread, just to make it easy to get an idea of who's up for this. Volunteers get free entry, but I'm not sure how many places we'd be able claim.