Poll: Fancy coming along and helping out?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yep, count me in.
70.00%
7 70.00%
Might be able to, not sure yet.
30.00%
3 30.00%
Total 10 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gloucester MiniCon 2012 - Sunday 29th January
I'm picking up Si R, Justin, Gaz and a few sausage and egg muffins on the way in the morning - we'll see everyone else in Gloucester!
Figures painted in 2016: 4 Blush
"What this game needs is a panda with a chaingun."
A huge THANK YOU to everyone who came along to the Gloucester MiniCon today, and especially to those who put a massive amount of effort into getting the particpation games and scenery ready. It really helped put our club on the map and establish a relationship with other local clubs. Pats on the back all round.
Big well done on the table as well, as i said there it looks fantastic!
40k- Space marines(5000 pts) Imperial guard (3000 pts) Tau (3000 pts)
Epic 40k-Space marines/Imperial Guard(2000 pts)
Infinity Yu jing (Aprox 1000 pts)
Necromunda Escher Mad capsules Avalanche
Blood bowl Skaven
Thank you so much to RedWarSoc and its members for such a tremendous showing on Sunday. It's been great getting to know you all and we looking forward to working with you guys on plans for 2013 in due course.

R.
Cheers Robie, thanks to you and Chris for getting it off the ground. Hopefully the first of many!
Robie has posted some pictures from the event on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/#!/media/set/?s...455&type=1

(Hope you can see these, if not I'll repost them here or in the gallery forum).
Wrap up letter from Chris:

Quote:The first Gloucestershire Mini Con held on the Sunday 29th January 2012 has been viewed by all as a huge success on its first year. Robey saw this years event as a ‘soft launch’ of an idea we had around six months ago and I am sure it passed all of our expectations. So first off, I would like to extend our heartiest thanks to everyone who supported the event with running games, supporting prizes and actually coming along and throwing some dice!

The format of the day wasn’t actually that rigid, the space was used well and we even managed to squeeze in Ainsty Castings at the very last minute as Andy was passing back through on his way back from the Crusade Event. I have had nothing but kind words from him since and it was definitely worth his while dropping by on the off chance we had some spare room. This was a common thread of the day for the commercial participants at the Mini Con. Everyone I had spoken to said that it had been a worth while visit and they had all sold product to cover more than their costs for attending. Now while we didn’t charge for space this time due to the events concept and size, I am positive this will change with future events with regard to retailers.

The event had a great atmosphere from the opening and the buzz carried on all throughout the event. Lots of new gaming friends and connections were made by everyone contributing to the event and this was obviously one of the main objectives of the day. We have been commended on our mix and balance of games, something that some other events do not manage to achieve.

The two tournaments that were arranged were a success even though they were slightly reduced in size. The Shuuro tournament overseen by our ‘special guest’ Alessio Cavatore was quite an intimate affair with all participants from the Games Bunker. One of our new members Jo Cage won with the competition and a nice new shiny chess clock came his way. Having Alessio there was fantastic, everyone enjoyed meeting and chatting to him and I think Shuuro was a great addition to the exhibited games, and seeing some of the concept greens for the forthcoming miniature range for Wrath of the Elements was a bit of a treat too. Signed copies of the Kings of War rulebook were everywhere, which is nice.

The Combat Patrol 40K competition was a close affair with the possibility of the winner being decided in the whole of the last round, not just on one game. The guys from Dice and Decks were slugging it out against Father and Son from the Bunker. The winner was Mark Roberts who put up an amazing result with his Genestealer / Hormagaunt list against his own son Will Embling’s Space Marines in the final round. It was brutal, Will did everything right but the dice did let him down massively. This included rolling two Perils of the Warp consecutively on two attempts to krump his own Librarian. The dice were not with him. The spoils of war brought Mark a spanking new Warpath: Fate of the Forgestar box set generously donated by Mantic. I unfortunately didn’t have time to take detailed notations of each round as I was bouncing around the event as well as marshalling the competition, but I can assure you it a cracking little tournament.

The painting competition attracted some superb miniatures. Sponsored by Precinct Omega the theme was ‘Poor Bloody Infantry’ and I think the three winners were well placed in this concept. A big thank you to Chris from the Evesham Wargaming Association for manning the competition, Robey for arranging it and providing a copy of Skrapyard and some of his Miniatures as prizes but also our main prize contributors John Harrison from the Cheltenham Warchiefs and Shieldwall Miniatures and Stuart Mack from Terrain Geek. These guys contributed a full 4 point Saga War band from Shieldwall Miniatures and a Gripping beast Saga Paint set from John, and some vouchers for use at Terrain Geeks web store from Stuart. The winner of the competition was David Holmes and rightly so with a fantastic Death Korps of Krieg infantryman.

Cheers to Robey and Alessio for judging the competition.

It seems that there wasn’t one specific highlight of the day, everyone I spoke to had a fantastic time for different reasons and tried different games, but a special mention must go to the REDWARSOC guys for their Cutlass table. It was absolutely cracking and we were so pleased you brought it down as the initial idea was to showcase it at Salute this year. Kings of War and Shuuro were well received by people who had never tried them before. Operation Squad ran by Steve and Dom from Thinkwargames looked like it had plenty of takers as did Skrapyard, Infinity and Bushido ran by Precinct Omega and Square Orange Games respectively.

We all hope you had a fantastic time; there have been immediate calls for next year’s event to be bigger and better. I guarantee it will be, bigger venue, more contributors and more importantly more time to arrange the event. We want the Mini Con to grow as an event along with the partners and contributors who made this first one a success.
We have the foundations of a hub for the Mini Con which will benefit us all.

So finishing off, I will again thank everyone for their time, effort and contributions that made the 29th such a success.

Cheers and see you all soon.

Regards

Chris Averiss
Chairman
Gloucestershire Mini Con.
Financial statement:

Quote:Financial Breakdown

We took £163.50 in entry ticket sales and tournament entry tickets sales. Also included is £3.50 for tea and coffee charged to non-volunteers.
Tournament entry amounts were £25.00 for the 40K Combat Patrol
And £20.00 for the Shuuro competition.

This means £120.00 was raised on the door on the day. 48 Tickets sold.

Only £10.00 of this total amount was paid in advance of the event. This was for two 40K tournament tickets.

The only cost that has been applied to this total amount is £18.00 reimbursed to Robey for the Trophy for the painting competition. The Receipt for this has been submitted.

Net amount is £145.50

I recommend from this amount that £75.50 is given over to the Gloucestershire Deaf Association as a donation for the use of facilities and £70.00 is held by the MiniCon Committee and the Games Bunker to be used for MiniCon 2013. If there any objections please forward them to me for circulation amongst the group.

Donations to the Event:

Hand stamp for Event donated by Chris Averiss Retained by MiniCon Committee for further events.
Saga 4 Point Warband donated by Shieldwall Miniatures (J Harrison) for Painting Competition First Prize.
Gripping Beast Paint Saga Paint Set donated by Gripping Beast for the Painting Competition First Prize.
Copy of Devils Reach and several Skrapyard Miniatures from Precinct Omega for Painting Competition prizes.
Chess clock donated by River Horse (Alessio Cavatore) for the winner of the Mini Shuuro competition.
£20.00, £15.00, and £10.00 web store vouchers donated by Terrain Geek (S Mack) as prizes for the Painting Competition.
Warpath: Fate of the Forgestar donated by Mantic Games as First prize of the 40K combat patrol tournament.

I hope this is acceptable from this, our first event.

Many thanks.

Chris Averiss
Final message from Chris regarding next year:

Quote:I have started putting information together for the next MiniCon and 2013 will be a bigger event so we need to find an appropriate venue. Over the next few weeks I will arrange a meeting to start planning the event, please let me know if you want to be involved in the organising committee. I have had half a dozen people over and above the organisations involved this year who want to attend next year, and I think Sunday 27th January 2013 is a favourite date for next years event.