Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UK Games Expo
Does anyone who has been before have any advice for the UK Games Expo? I have not been before and plan on taking two teenagers with me on Friday to shop and mooch around, before doing the tournament on Saturday.
What is car parking like? Is it easy enough to get from car park to venue?
Are there big queues to get in? Would we be best turning up later on Friday to avoid the early arrivals and rush hour traffic on the motorway?
Are the food outlets good?
Cheers.
LotR SBG - Isengard, Gondor, Dwarves; Bolt Action US Airborne, German Heer; SAGA - Anglo Danish; Dropfleet Commander - UCM, PHR
Not been on the friday before but I've heard it is usually a little quieter than the weekend. Car parking is at the NEC, short walk or shuttle bus to venue. Pretty straightforward. Food-wise I have always taken a picnic so don't know. EDIT - I tell a lie, ate there last year, food was good but a bit pricey.

There are lots of opportunities to sit down and play games, the family zone is too young for teenagers so I would just head for the main bit where you can mooch around th evarious companies, most of whom will have tables set out for people to sit down and try games. My fave bit is the games library where you can choose a game, garb a table and play. then return for another game. this does get very busy though.
40K - Dark Angels, Dark Eldar, Necrons; Lord of the Rings - lots; Bloodbowl - Dwarves, Wood Elves; SAGA - Anglo Danes & Welsh; Guildball - Morticians, Engineers; Dropzone/fleet - Shaltari
I tend to get there early on the Friday. It is busy , but not as busy as the weekend. Most of the crowd tend to head straight for the traders, so if your just looking to try games there is plenty of opportunity. They do have a good court outside by the hotel, but I've usually taken food. Plenty of parking not too far away, just pricey!
Flames of War- Irish Guards    Bloodbowl- Orcs, Humans
Cutlass- Teddy Bear Pirates     Warhammer- Bretonnia, Ogres
6mm WW2- XXX Corps            28mm WW2- Rules of Engagement, Bolt Action, Chain of Command
28mm Zulu War- Still painting !!  SAGA Normans, Saracens
Bolt Action - German and British Infantry
Malifaux - Gremlins
Guildball - Butchers,Hunters, Farmers
I'm looking at getting the 7.12 train from Redditch. Get there about 8.30. Queuing for tickets seems to take longer than queuing for entry! Gives me plenty of time for unforseen events, brekkie and a sit down!
6mm WW2- XXX Corps            28mm WW2- Rules of Engagement, Bolt Action, Chain of Command
Malifaux - Gremlins
I think Will and I will be drive up on the Friday for a look round the day before the Dropfleet tournament too, probably car-share to spread the parking/fuel cost too. It's usually like a tenner for the day. Food there is pretty decent, theres a spoons and a subway too, can be pricey though.
Dropfleet Commander: UCM
Dropzone Commander: UCM
Star Wars X-Wing: Rebel Alliance
Magic the Gathering
LotR SBG: High Elves
Warhammer 40,000 7th ed.: Astra Militarum & Eldar
Halo Fleet Battles: Covenant
BFG: Imperial Navy & Eldar Corsairs
Warhammer Fantasy 8th ed.: Warriors of Chaos

Element Games referral code JAS173.
I am lookung to head up on Friday. Was going to drive just in case the inevitable happens. Would happily take others or car share up.

May have one already going with me. I find out Thurs if it me or two
Malifaux - All (Mainly Guild, Outcasts)
40k - Death Guard (2k)
Necromunda - Goliaths (Van Saar)
Bloodbowl - Skaven
Star Wars Legion - Imperials (have reb)
The Walking Dead: All Out War, Star Wars: Living Card Game
We’ve always tended to go on the Friday, as it’s a bit quieter than the weekend. We’re going along with some friends on the train this year.

Official parking is expensive (the signs will try and direct you to this) with the option of a shuttle bus or 10 minute walk to the venue. Various other parking options are available, listed on the Expo website.

It’s worth purchasing your tickets in advance for collection, as the queue for the ticket office was quite long last year.

The street food marketplace outside the entrance to The Hilton is worth checking out for food. Some good options there, and not massively expensive. Some of the stalls from Digbeth Dining Club make an appearance there.
Figures painted in 2016: 4 Blush
"What this game needs is a panda with a chaingun."
Oh, and good luck to those taking part in the tournaments - fly the flag for RedWarSoc! Smile
Figures painted in 2016: 4 Blush
"What this game needs is a panda with a chaingun."
I'll be there all day friday.
Simian aka Ben
Interests
40k Death Guard, Nurgle and Space Wolves, Malifaux (Guild, Gremlins & Ressers), In Her Majesties Name (Professor Berengei's Circus), Bolt Action (Big Red One), Dredd (Robots), OGaM, Necromunda (Redemptionists)

Hooting into the Abyss
I'm now here at the expo and got my ticket ready for the go. Queues for tickets already pretty big, and very busy here.
Malifaux - Gremlins