Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UCM Fleet Advice
I am going to take the plunge and get the UCM Battlefleet. I need a bit of advice on what I should make with the kit. From my game with Luke I can see:
1. Burn through lasers are good and I should make sure I have some of these.
2. I need more capacity to launch fighters(particularly) and bombers.
3. The little ships can be really effective up close.

It also looks on paper like the Corvettes should be really useful as they can go into atmosphere.

The kit contains a battlecruiser, 6 cruisers, 8 frigates, 3 corvettes.
(I have the UCM from the starter box made up as suggested)
Any and all advice much appreciated.
Tony.
LotR SBG - Isengard, Gondor, Dwarves; Bolt Action US Airborne, German Heer; SAGA - Anglo Danish; Dropfleet Commander - UCM, PHR
(21-08-2017, 08:52 PM)Walters Wrote: I am going to take the plunge and get the UCM Battlefleet. I need a bit of advice on what I should make with the kit. From my game with Luke I can see:

It also looks on paper like the Corvettes should be really useful as they can go into atmosphere.

Tony.

Glad you enjoyed it Tony, my comments are;

1. Burnthrough Lasers are good, but are a gamble - the ability to miss with both shots on the standard Cobra Laser is quite high.
2. UCM Carriers have lower launch than other factions, as the are also really effective combat ships - I love the Seattle and recommend at least two.
3. Look up the Taipei in the rulebook - it's the UCM close action frigate and one of my favourite ships.

UCM Corvettes are pretty average - the main role I seem to find for them is killing enemy corvettes.

Recommend at least one San Francisco, the UCM Troopship and one Madrid, the Bombardment ship.
Warhammer 40K - Knights of Saret (Space Marines), Cult of the Damned (Chaos/Daemons), 1st ERF (Astra Militarum), Death Guard & The Purge (Chaos/DG/Daemons), House Landsraad (Imperial Knights)
LOTR - Rohan, Mordor, Dwarves, Moria
Mordhiem - The Wild Rose Company (Dwarves)
Bloodbowl - Humans, Orcs, Dwarves, Undead
Guildball - Brewers, Masons
Dropfleet - UCM, Scourge, Shaltari, PHR
Dropzone - UCM
XWing - Rebels, Imperials
Bolt Action - Fallschrimjager
Gates of Antares - Algoryn
SAGA - Vikings, Irish

Currently Working On - Gates of Anatares - Ghar, Warhammer 40K - Death Guard and Necrons

Dismantle Mines, Yes? Or... you die..." - Variks, House of Judgement
(21-08-2017, 08:52 PM)Walters Wrote: I am going to take the plunge and get the UCM Battlefleet. I need a bit of advice on what I should make with the kit. From my game with Luke I can see:

Tony.

Hi Tony,

Glad to see another Dropfleet Commander player joining the ranks!

My advice is very similar to Luke's:

1. Burnthrough Lasers can be very good, but are very much a gamble - the ability to miss with both shots on the standard Cobra Laser is quite high. The better versions on the St Peterburg and Avalon are better but still a gamble. I personally prefer the reliability of mass drivers.
2. UCM Carriers have lower launch than other factions, as they are also very effective combat ships - I also love the Seattle and usually take at least two.
3. The Taipei close action frigate is easily one of my favourite ships (with probably the highest kill-count too).
4. UCM Corvettes are very average - the main role I seem to find for them is killing enemy strike carriers. I'm still very much learning how to make the most of these as I've only had a handful of games with them to-date.
5. I also Recommend at least one San Francisco, the UCM Troopship and one Madrid, the Bombardment ship (even though I kind of detest taking them, always underwhelm me but can't complete the missions without them).
Dropfleet Commander: UCM
Dropzone Commander: UCM
Star Wars X-Wing: Rebel Alliance
Magic the Gathering
LotR SBG: High Elves
Warhammer 40,000 7th ed.: Astra Militarum & Eldar
Halo Fleet Battles: Covenant
BFG: Imperial Navy & Eldar Corsairs
Warhammer Fantasy 8th ed.: Warriors of Chaos

Element Games referral code JAS173.
Get a set of command cards for ucm dropfleet as well - they have an amazing card that allows the ucm bombers to go into atmosphere for a turn which is fantastic.

I think the new cairo's are pretty nice - although a bit squishy. However I have not played as UCM yet - will know more after tonight's game of swapfleet with jj!
40K - Dark Angels, Dark Eldar, Necrons; Lord of the Rings - lots; Bloodbowl - Dwarves, Wood Elves; SAGA - Anglo Danes & Welsh; Guildball - Morticians, Engineers; Dropzone/fleet - Shaltari
The first addition to my UCM has arrived, the battleship (I realise it probably wont get used in that many games). I am planning on building it as a New York. Is this a good/bad idea?
Cheers.
LotR SBG - Isengard, Gondor, Dwarves; Bolt Action US Airborne, German Heer; SAGA - Anglo Danish; Dropfleet Commander - UCM, PHR