Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice for an enthusiastic beginner please
Hi All, after visiting UKGE and seeing the Hawk stand, followed by a quick look at the tournament tables, I'm going all in on Dropfleet. Jason tells me the club players won and placed at the tournament so I was hoping for some advice. I'll be buying the two player starter set but eventually want to compete at the 1250 range. Anyone recommend what else I should be ordering for UCM to reach that level?
Hey,

You'll probably want some command cards (they add a lot to the game and make admirals useful), and maybe a UCM starter fleet box to go with the ships you get in the two player starter box. It wont be enough for 1250pts (probably, depends on what you build) but you'll be able to play slightly higher points and get more of a feel for what ships and tactics you like, as you build towards 1250. Its not required though, as games using just the starter fleets are fun in of themselves!

Welcome to the club/forum.
Warhammer Fantasy Beastmen, Woodelves; Warhammer 40K Dark Eldar, Blood angels, Tyranids; Battlefleet Gothic Imperial, Dark Eldar; Saga Vikings; Guild ball Masons; Dropzone Commander & Dropfleet PHR, UCM(dropfleet only); Lord of the rings Mordor, Gundabad; Beyond the gates of Antares Ghar Outcast Rebels
Quote:"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain."

Thanks Will, I've been looking longingly at buying a battleship - should I hold off?

(18-06-2017, 05:33 PM)will Wrote: Hey,

You'll probably want some command cards (they add a lot to the game and make admirals useful), and maybe a UCM starter fleet box to go with the ships you get in the two player starter box. It wont be enough for 1250pts (probably, depends on what you build) but you'll be able to play slightly higher points and get more of a feel for what ships and tactics you like, as you build towards 1250. Its not required though, as games using just the starter fleets are fun in of themselves!

Welcome to the club/forum.
(18-06-2017, 05:54 PM)Adam Duckett Wrote: Thanks Will, I've been looking longingly at buying a battleship - should I hold off?

If you like the model then I would buy it! The nice thing about dropfleet is that everything can work. Somethings are harder to use than others but their are no real bad/uncompetitive choices.
Warhammer Fantasy Beastmen, Woodelves; Warhammer 40K Dark Eldar, Blood angels, Tyranids; Battlefleet Gothic Imperial, Dark Eldar; Saga Vikings; Guild ball Masons; Dropzone Commander & Dropfleet PHR, UCM(dropfleet only); Lord of the rings Mordor, Gundabad; Beyond the gates of Antares Ghar Outcast Rebels
Quote:"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain."

Thanks Will - I might just buy the starter set to begin with and build from there. Did you compete at UKGE?

(18-06-2017, 06:32 PM)will Wrote:
(18-06-2017, 05:54 PM)Adam Duckett Wrote: Thanks Will, I've been looking longingly at buying a battleship - should I hold off?

If you like the model then I would buy it! The nice thing about dropfleet is that everything can work. Somethings are harder to use than others but their are no real bad/uncompetitive choices.
(18-06-2017, 07:23 PM)Adam Duckett Wrote: Thanks Will - I might just buy the starter set to begin with and build from there. Did you compete at UKGE?

Yeah. Took my beloved PHR and ended up second somehow!

(18-06-2017, 05:06 PM)Adam Duckett Wrote: Hi All, after visiting UKGE and seeing the Hawk stand, followed by a quick look at the tournament tables, I'm going all in on Dropfleet. Jason tells me the club players won and placed at the tournament so I was hoping for some advice. I'll be buying the two player starter set but eventually want to compete at the 1250 range. Anyone recommend what else I should be ordering for UCM to reach that level?

Second Will's comment - it's worth playing a few games to get a feel for what style you want to play.

As a fellow UCM player, I'm not entirely sold on Battleships and prefer the Battlecruisers, but that's just me.
Warhammer 40K - Knights of Saret (Space Marines), Cult of the Damned (Chaos/Daemons), 1st ERF (Astra Militarum), Death Guard & The Purge (Chaos/DG/Daemons), House Landsraad (Imperial Knights)
LOTR - Rohan, Mordor, Dwarves, Moria
Mordhiem - The Wild Rose Company (Dwarves)
Bloodbowl - Humans, Orcs, Dwarves, Undead
Guildball - Brewers, Masons
Dropfleet - UCM, Scourge, Shaltari, PHR
Dropzone - UCM
XWing - Rebels, Imperials
Bolt Action - Fallschrimjager
Gates of Antares - Algoryn
SAGA - Vikings, Irish

Currently Working On - Gates of Anatares - Ghar, Warhammer 40K - Death Guard and Necrons

Dismantle Mines, Yes? Or... you die..." - Variks, House of Judgement
Well congrats to you! I really fancy playing competitively - I've only got back into tabletop gaming in the last 12 months and only been playing campaign Necromunda. The whole Amanda warfare system really interests me. Bit of a noob but committed! Perhaps we could arrange a game sometime?

(18-06-2017, 08:42 PM)will Wrote:
(18-06-2017, 07:23 PM)Adam Duckett Wrote: Thanks Will - I might just buy the starter set to begin with and build from there. Did you compete at UKGE?

Yeah. Took my beloved PHR and ended up second somehow!
Hi Luke, I'm totally sold on UCM - it scratches my Battlestar itch. If you were in my position - and you had £200 to spend what would you buy? It's burning a hole in my pocket! :-)

(18-06-2017, 08:48 PM)LukeR Wrote:
(18-06-2017, 05:06 PM)Adam Duckett Wrote: Hi All, after visiting UKGE and seeing the Hawk stand, followed by a quick look at the tournament tables, I'm going all in on Dropfleet. Jason tells me the club players won and placed at the tournament so I was hoping for some advice. I'll be buying the two player starter set but eventually want to compete at the 1250 range. Anyone recommend what else I should be ordering for UCM to reach that level?

Second Will's comment - it's worth playing a few games to get a feel for what style you want to play.

As a fellow UCM player, I'm not entirely sold on Battleships and prefer the Battlecruisers, but that's just me.
(18-06-2017, 09:24 PM)Adam Duckett Wrote: Hi Luke, I'm totally sold on UCM - it scratches my Battlestar itch. If you were in my position - and you had £200 to spend what would you buy? It's burning a hole in my pocket! :-)

(18-06-2017, 08:48 PM)LukeR Wrote:

The starter set plus an additional starter fleet would be a good starting point - you would have enough to play a 1000 game which would be a good starting point - then you can play a few games and get a feel for what you like.

Command cards would be good as well.

I love the UCM Carriers personally - the Seattle is a great ship as is the Atlantis Battlecruiser.

If you want to go with the Battlestar theme then the New York Battleship seems fittings, it's got a scary amount of launch...
Warhammer 40K - Knights of Saret (Space Marines), Cult of the Damned (Chaos/Daemons), 1st ERF (Astra Militarum), Death Guard & The Purge (Chaos/DG/Daemons), House Landsraad (Imperial Knights)
LOTR - Rohan, Mordor, Dwarves, Moria
Mordhiem - The Wild Rose Company (Dwarves)
Bloodbowl - Humans, Orcs, Dwarves, Undead
Guildball - Brewers, Masons
Dropfleet - UCM, Scourge, Shaltari, PHR
Dropzone - UCM
XWing - Rebels, Imperials
Bolt Action - Fallschrimjager
Gates of Antares - Algoryn
SAGA - Vikings, Irish

Currently Working On - Gates of Anatares - Ghar, Warhammer 40K - Death Guard and Necrons

Dismantle Mines, Yes? Or... you die..." - Variks, House of Judgement