Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wills post cally review and batreps
I thought I would do a quick review and roundup of my games at the Caledonian revolution this year. Really impressed with the venue this year, defiantly a lot better than last year. New carpets, New tables and tv's about for better organisation.

My list ...

Game one. Vs Luke and his bikes on table 16

So first game I was matched up against Luke. All that way to play someone from the club. Lol
The game was hammer and anvil deployment, contact lost maelstrom and crusade as the eternal war.
Also the only game I managed to remember to take pictures for.
Unfortunately for Luke this mission was the one my army was strongest at playing. I managed to grab or contest all of the objectives on turn one so Luke never got to draw maelstrom cards for most of the game. My flyrants went mad and killed his units as fast as he could kill mine giving me a one point kill pointlead. Other highlights, from my side, slaughtering his warlord with the hive tyrant and a lot of friends (he went down as all space marines should, surrounded and outnumbered to the extreme).
End of game standing was 25vps to 3vps. Giving me a 20-0 Tp victory

Game two vs Isaac and his fleshhound, five sorcerers, cypher, karn the betrayer, death star on table 10

Isaac had previously fought Alan and managed a 20-0 victory over him. Needless to say I thought I had the same coming. My singular tactic was to throw gaunts at his death star to hold them off and keep my all important warlord hive tyrant alive.
The game was dawn of war deployment, spoils of war and the relic.
I was pretty outmatched and made a mistake with my flyrants. Landing them turn three to score maelstrom and get into better positions when I could have just flow them off the board to come back on next turn and kill lots more. This lead to me losing a flyrant and that let him split his death star to score extra maelstrom and kill points. I did mange to capitalise slightly on this by picking off his warlord but had the other flyrant been alive I could have picked his separate forces apart. It went onto turn seven and I was second so I landed my last flyrant and contested the relic to rob him of a total victory.

End of game 14vps for me to 23 for him for a 15-5 loss

Game three on table 12
I was up against Byron and his massed ignore cover tau. Oh no.

The table had very little LoS (line of sight) blocking terrain Except in one corner and Byron won the roll of for sides and picked that corner leaving me with no where to hide. Defiantly going to be a hard game.
the game was vanguard strike deployment, the scouring maelstrom and deadlock eternal
This was always going to be the hardest mission for me , as am I reliant on the maelstrom to make up any kill point deficit and a bad draw in this mission can be fatal and tau can just ignore my greatest strength which is my cover save. I had a really bad draw turn one and efficiently was stuck with those cards for the whole game. You can only throw away one card a turn and so I never got to draw new cards.
First turn he killed a unit and a half of gaunts 30 in total and picked off a flyrant before he could take off. I'd let him deploy first but he had the infiltrate warlord trait so I was unable to counter deploy to his main ignore cover units.
Turn two was much the same. His dice where hot and dispite being hard to hit byrons commander and body guard took three wounds off the last flyrant and hit him with five out of six marker lights letting his storm surge finish him off. this allowed Byron to turn the rest of his guns against the horde and blast me back out of charge range. I had figured the flyrant would die but had relied on him taking a lot of firepower to die instead of a tiny amount and give me some breathing room to make a dent in the tau by making it into CQB range.
It was pretty much downhill from there. I couldn't get out of my deployment zone dispite a fair few units coming back and he eventually tabled me turn five when my last set of reinforcements ran out.
20-0 loss I only scored five victory points. Sad

For a while I figured it was just a bad match up and him winning deployment corners giving him the game, but when I got home I suddenly realised I should have reserved the flyrants. He had interceptor but I'd take snap shot interceptor over Losing a flyrant turn one. You live (or not in the case of my gaunts and flyrants) and learn.

Game four on table 23

A new day a new game.
This time I was up against Andy and his iron hands biker death star.

3+ feel no pain and invis on a huge unit of bikers with lots of characters.
The mission was dawn of war deployment, contact lost maelstrom and emperor s will eternal war.
Another contact lost mission good for me. Dawn of war isn't the best for me but a lot better than vanguard strike especially if I get to deploy second.
Andy won the roll off for sides and deployment but let me deploy second, he also took first turn which was key.
My singular tactic for this game was to throw gaunts at his death star lining them up surrounding him but not charging so he couldn't go round and had to waste many many turns just killing single gaunt squads and never getting anywhere near my emperors will objective. He had three whirlwinds and some sisters so the flyrants went after them for the first few turns. He did start to get his death star near to my warlord but I took a risk and landed a flyrant on his home objective so he had to turn around to deal with that. He failed his eight inch charge and off took the flyrant and I'd rebuilt my gaunt wall.
He was also forced to split up his death star a bit to score maelstrom as I had units every where. So the flyrants and gaunts where able to pick a few characters off as the game progressed. We got to turn seven and after counting up points I was ahead by one go with some sortable maelstrom so he took a risk and split his death star and went after some gaunts and some missions. This was a mistake. I was able to land a flyrant and contest his emperors will as well as score maelstrom and get a few extra kill points. Giving me a comfortable victory.
16vps to 6vps giving me a 15-5 win
I think this game went pretty much as well as it could have. Landing a flyrant was a risk but it paid off. I was defiantly outmatched army wise but by playing the mission and with some cheeky tactical road blocking was able to get a good win.

Game five on table 20
Last game phew. The game was hammer and anvil deployment, tactical escalation maelstrom and big guns never tire eternal
I was against Michael and his white scars. This was Michael from the st Andrews blog that Chris linked to a while back but it didn't click till after the game when someone mentioned it. S their will be a more detailed report from him sometime with cool pictures and all.

On turn one I thought the game was going to go the way of the tau game when he killed 30 gaunts. A unsuitable loss rate. Priority targets where the centurians with a hunters eye chaplain in them. So the flyrants went up and did there thing. I was cleaver and positioned them in cover with one so that if I was lucky I would pick off the chaplain. Figured I could pick off one centurian per flyrant with a bit of luck. Didn't kill any centurians, his 2+ were hot but I did get the chaplain and hunters eye. That done the centurians where no longer priority target.
Second turn was just as pain full as the first even with the ignores cover gone from the centurians. I'd kept my warlord and venoms out of grav range so they were safe. In my turn the flyrants wreaked his left flank and like that the game turned. I pumped his right with fleshborers and got a few marines their but the left was now wide open.
His turn most of his firepower turned on the flyrants but no wounds were lost, although one had to jink. In return the flyrants once again went to town and my recycled gaunts came into reinforce the right push.
With that most of his army was neutered. Only Kahn and his bodyguard where an major threat and I charged them with fourty gaunts turn four killing most of the unit and finishing them off turn five. He still had a lot of part units all over the board so was able to secure three of five objectives at the end of his turn
We ran out of time to play so the game ended on turn five. So knowing the game was over Ianded my flyrants and contested one objective and positioned the other to contest another if he could kill five objective secured scouts. I also contested another objective with a lot of gaunts but he had a drop pod on it so i couldn't score it. I had two objectives totally to myself though. The flyrant failed to kill the scouts so Michael had an objective and I had two and the other two were contested.

13vps for me and 12 for him for a 11-9 victory.

My mistake in this game was holding onto a scour the skys card that I got turn one, as I figured his flyer would come on turn two or three at latest so I might as well keep it as an easy maelstrom point to score but his flyer didn't turn up till turn four. Had I got rid of it I could have scored four or five more vps. Was also a shame the game only went till turn five. Had it gone to six or more I think a much higher score was within my grasp possibly even a twenty nill.

All in all a great weekend, no easy games, every game pushing my tactics and skills with luck helping or hindering but never really deciding anything except maybe the tau killing the flyrant. Learnt a lot (again). And the cherry on top was I won best tyranid player (by default, but don't tell anyone)

My overall standing was 32 out of 75, I'm very happy with that, considering the craziness of some of the armies I faced, with some more practice and less mistakes I think I could improve on that by quite a bit, and although I was best nid player by default I was the second best player with Tyranids in a list and only 9 Tournament points away from beating the best hive mind player (hive mind was Tyranids and allies).

Now all I have to do is figure out what I can spend my ill gotton £5 element games voucher on. Big Grin

Warhammer Fantasy Beastmen, Woodelves; Warhammer 40K Dark Eldar, Blood angels, Tyranids; Battlefleet Gothic Imperial, Dark Eldar; Saga Vikings; Guild ball Masons; Dropzone Commander & Dropfleet PHR, UCM(dropfleet only); Lord of the rings Mordor, Gundabad; Beyond the gates of Antares Ghar Outcast Rebels
Quote:"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain."

Pics from my game vs Luke game

Warhammer Fantasy Beastmen, Woodelves; Warhammer 40K Dark Eldar, Blood angels, Tyranids; Battlefleet Gothic Imperial, Dark Eldar; Saga Vikings; Guild ball Masons; Dropzone Commander & Dropfleet PHR, UCM(dropfleet only); Lord of the rings Mordor, Gundabad; Beyond the gates of Antares Ghar Outcast Rebels
Quote:"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain."

great report and well played! Although we had a good catch up on the saturday night, it was great to read the reports.

You didn't play any rubbish lists! So it finish 30th and Best (2ndbest) Nids is impressive! Was a unique list as well which is great to see!

Do you have many changes planned for future events/games?

(21-07-2016, 03:27 PM)Embolden Wrote: great report and well played! Although we had a good catch up on the saturday night, it was great to read the reports.

You didn't play any rubbish lists! So it finish 30th and Best (2ndbest) Nids is impressive! Was a unique list as well which is great to see!

Do you have many changes planned for future events/games?

With this list. I think I would drop the adrenal glands on the gaunts and regeneration on the warlord either for poison on the hormagaunts or more devourers in the termagants. Poision would have been so useful against the death stars as even though I got hits on (even against invis) I just couldn't convert then to enough wounds as I needed sixes to wound against most things.
I'm thinking of a future list that makes use of the skyblight formation instead of endless swarm for a future army. Bigger units of gargoyles instead of gaunts which will be faster and objective secured. The FMC's I have to take in the formation are not brilliant apart from the flyrant but I may be able to get them to work.

Edit: P.S. thanks for the kind words Smile

I like the endless gants, how about another CAD detachment with a 2 min squads of Termgants and a couple of Flyrants over the Tyrant Node Detachment?

More bodies, objective secured bodies at that and 2 more Flyrants (4) that seemed to do most of the killing?

Would that leave any/much room for a couple of the Venomthropes that give you shrouded?

(21-07-2016, 06:08 PM)Embolden Wrote: I like the endless gants, how about another CAD detachment with a 2 min squads of Termgants and a couple of Flyrants over the Tyrant Node Detachment?

More bodies, objective secured bodies at that and 2 more Flyrants (4) that seemed to do most of the killing?

Would that leave any/much room for a couple of the Venomthropes that give you shrouded?

Yeah if I dropped the furious charge off the hormagaunts I could get a pair of venomthropes into that list. I did consider that exact list. The big problem that it has is limited synapse outside of flyrants. As the flyrants are off up front the only back field synapse holding all the gaunts in place is three warriors from the endless swarm. Although I can think of a few ways to make use of the flyrants to keep the swarm together its not as robust as the tyrant on foot with his body guard hiding at the back with a 24' synapse bubble. Will have a bit of a play test and see if I can make it work. Smile

Hmm, whats the cheapest Synapse thing you can get? If you can get another unit to hold the line with the Warriors, maybe more warriors? 2 or 3 min units? Literally in there pants holding the line together (think IG commissars)

Zoanthropes @ 50pts per single model unit. They also usefully give warp charges. Warriors or shrikes are next @ 90pts for a unit of three. I'm thinking a tyranid prime could do a similar job to the tyrant in the list I took. As he is an independent character I could bury him in a large unit so he should be relatively safe. He is very expensive points wise though for what he brings

Zoanthropes could be a good shout, just a couple of them dotted about to support the Warriors in the Synapse at the back of the board while the Tyrants push up providing coverage at the head of the army.