Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Luke's Hobby Log
As I own far too many unpainted models, I'm hoping that posting progress will make me commit to actually finishing projects before starting new ones.

The current project is to paint a 1850 point Space Marine Army for July. So, with only 30 Tactical Marines done I've got my work cut out.

I'm not the best of painters, but I'm of the opinion that so long as it looks good at a distance on the table it's fine.
So, progress for this week.

3 Attack Bikes that are 'finished' but I may go back and touch up/add more shade at a later date

Edit: Sorry about the Huge Size of the photo, doing this off the IPad rather than with my camera. I'll update and change this when I can

Attached Files Image(s)

Luke, IMHO if you can 'paint inside the lines', which you clearly can, then using lighter colours and 'quick shade' and the 3' rule is sorted. Look at Stu's minis, they look great... He is Mr Quickshade...
I am doing just that with my latest figures. keep the painting simple and quickshade.

Your bikes as you have them + Quickshade and you will be happy Smile
History is written by the victors - Sir Winston Churchill
(15-05-2016, 10:42 PM)Agincourt Wrote: Luke, IMHO if you can 'paint inside the lines', which you clearly can, then using lighter colours and 'quick shade' and the 3' rule is sorted. Look at Stu's minis, they look great... He is Mr Quickshade...
I am doing just that with my latest figures. keep the painting simple and quickshade.

Your bikes as you have them + Quickshade and you will be happy Smile

I've actually done this some of my LOTR models, and have been really impressed with the result. I'll post some pictures up at a later date when they're finished.

I fully intend to do this with my Space Marines, but have no idea what colour quickshade to use. Suggestions are welcome!
I've managed to finish one Landespeeder this weekend already, and should have another done soon.

But I've taken a break to do some gluing and paintstripping and was really impressed with this guy!

Attached Files Image(s)

(29-05-2016, 11:09 AM)LukeR Wrote: I fully intend to do this with my Space Marines, but have no idea what colour quickshade to use. Suggestions are welcome!

Don't know whether this helps Luke, but I did a very quick(shade) experiment on a couple of Space Marines with strong and dark tone:

http://forum.redwarsoc.com/showthread.ph...0#pid16850
Figures painted in 2016: 4 Blush
"What this game needs is a panda with a chaingun."
If you check my thread Luke, the latest SAGA warrior is STRONG tone and the LoTR pics are DARK tone... not exactly comparing apples with apples, but...
So as 2017 seems to be going by, and while I have painted quite a bit, it hasn't exactly been organised. So I spent part of the Bank Holiday Weekend going through trying to organise my many half complete projects... (To better help me focus Smile)

So here's the list

Lord of the Rings SBG
Mordor Army, approx. 60 models - all undercoated, none painted
Moria Army, approx. 100 models - all undercoated, none painted
Dwarf Army, approx. 30 models - all assembled

Bolt Action Fallschrimjaeger - approx. 50 models - half assembled and undercoated

Guildball Starter Set - 12 Models - need painting

SAGA Romans - got the box of Infantry I picked up Salute which I need to do something with

Bloodbowl
Orcs - painted but need to the basing
Humans - need assembling
Dwarves - converting them out of some Fantasy Leftovers - not started
Vampires - converting the Second Hand Minis I had a few weeks ago from the club - not started
Undead - same as above - not started

Warhammer 40K
Chaos - 200 models approx. - all assembled - 50 are fully painted and based
Imperial Guard - approx. 60 models - assembled bar one squad, 30 models undercoated and some more need stripping
Necrons - boxed until I get the motivation to sort them
Eldar - boxed until I get the motivation to sort them
Imperial Knights - 4 large models - 3 still need assembling

On top of this, I have around 30 Space Marines left to paint and some vehicles. And I need to AoS my High Elf Army at some paint

The plan is to reduce this down - if I restrict myself to finishing two items from the list for every one I add, I should be able to reduce this backlog.
Warhammer 40K - Knights of Saret (Space Marines), Cult of the Damned (Chaos/Daemons), 1st ERF (Astra Militarum), Death Guard & The Purge (Chaos/DG/Daemons), House Landsraad (Imperial Knights)
LOTR - Rohan, Mordor, Dwarves, Moria
Mordhiem - The Wild Rose Company (Dwarves)
Bloodbowl - Humans, Orcs, Dwarves, Undead
Guildball - Brewers, Masons
Dropfleet - UCM, Scourge, Shaltari, PHR
Dropzone - UCM
XWing - Rebels, Imperials
Bolt Action - Fallschrimjager
Gates of Antares - Algoryn
SAGA - Vikings, Irish

Currently Working On - Gates of Anatares - Ghar, Warhammer 40K - Death Guard and Necrons

Dismantle Mines, Yes? Or... you die..." - Variks, House of Judgement
So as the first of these to get to - I picked the Imperial Knights. Here's a WIP shot of what I managed so far.

Attached Files Image(s)

Warhammer 40K - Knights of Saret (Space Marines), Cult of the Damned (Chaos/Daemons), 1st ERF (Astra Militarum), Death Guard & The Purge (Chaos/DG/Daemons), House Landsraad (Imperial Knights)
LOTR - Rohan, Mordor, Dwarves, Moria
Mordhiem - The Wild Rose Company (Dwarves)
Bloodbowl - Humans, Orcs, Dwarves, Undead
Guildball - Brewers, Masons
Dropfleet - UCM, Scourge, Shaltari, PHR
Dropzone - UCM
XWing - Rebels, Imperials
Bolt Action - Fallschrimjager
Gates of Antares - Algoryn
SAGA - Vikings, Irish

Currently Working On - Gates of Anatares - Ghar, Warhammer 40K - Death Guard and Necrons

Dismantle Mines, Yes? Or... you die..." - Variks, House of Judgement
Looking good Luke Smile