Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interest in Lord of the Rings Campaign?
Stu, fine to use arnor and rohan mixed.

Regarding rules, I wa actually assuming we'd just use the older rules as I thought most people have those but won't neccessarily have the newer hobbit rules as it was far less popular.

I have both lotr sbg and the hobbit rules. TBH not a huge fan of the new weapon strikes from the hobbit rulebook that can be made mainly because they overcomplicate things I think. I would prefer to use the 'normal' (older) lotr rules just because I am more familiar with them but I honestly don't think it matters that much and if someone wants to use them as long as they explain what the changes are then that's fine, they seem like they are only very minor changes. I also don't want people to have to go out and buy a new rulebook if they own one version and not the other so it might be best just before each game to clarify which ruleset you're going to use. The older books are probably much cheaper on ebay. Personally I'd be happy to play someone using the new weapon strikes even if I'm not going to use them as they seem a bit meh anyway!

If anyone needs to see pts values for their troops in order to make a list I can take a pic of the relevant lists in Legions of Middle Earth and send it to you.
40K - Dark Angels, Dark Eldar, Necrons; Lord of the Rings - lots; Bloodbowl - Dwarves, Wood Elves; SAGA - Anglo Danes & Welsh; Guildball - Morticians, Engineers; Dropzone/fleet - Shaltari
Had a thought, if anyone wants a refresher of the rules we could all gather round a table with a small warband each (I can provide all models and rules etc) one club night before the campaign starts just to straighten up how to play with a small scale free for all battle!

Perhaps second week in March would be good for this - anyone interested?

Then campaign could start towards the latter part of March until it ends after a set no. of turns - still finalising the campaign rules which I'll post near the end of next week for everyone's perusal.
40K - Dark Angels, Dark Eldar, Necrons; Lord of the Rings - lots; Bloodbowl - Dwarves, Wood Elves; SAGA - Anglo Danes & Welsh; Guildball - Morticians, Engineers; Dropzone/fleet - Shaltari
(19-02-2016, 06:58 PM)jaqenhgar Wrote: Stu, fine to use arnor and rohan mixed.

Cheers Cool

(19-02-2016, 06:58 PM)jaqenhgar Wrote: If anyone needs to see pts values for their troops in order to make a list I can take a pic of the relevant lists in Legions of Middle Earth and send it to you.

I'd completely forgotten about that book. I think I'm looking at The Grey Company allied with Theoden's Host if possible.
Figures painted in 2016: 4 Blush
"What this game needs is a panda with a chaingun."
(18-02-2016, 04:01 PM)jaqenhgar Wrote: In terms of points for a game, what are people's feelings on the points limit you could comfortably fit into an evening? How many pts did you play vs Matt the other evening Stu and did you feel it was a good length? I am initially thinking between 400 - 600pts for a battle. Does that sound about right?

Sorry Chris, only just saw this question. Not sure how many points we played, I'll check with Matt and let you know. The game itself was a perfect length for a evening's gaming.
Hey Guys,
I'm new to the forum and just got back in to LOTR/Hobbit recently. I would also be very interested in playing in the campaign.
I also have tones of LOTR/Hobbit models (about 500). Armies I have; Isengard, Mordor, Harad (with a mumak), Dwarf, High elf, Rohan, Minas Tirith, Fellowship etc. So if any one needs to use any models I'm happy to bring them along for you to use.
I also have PDF's of all the rulebooks and source books if any one needs them.

Regarding rules, I've recently looked at the Hobbit rules and I quite like the new rule set, not too different from the old ones but little changes to (possibly) turn the tide in a fight.

Again I'd love to join in the campaign Smile

Cheers,
Rob
LOTR/Hobbit SBG: Rohan, Minas Tirith, Numenor, Mordor, Moria & Angmar, Isengard, Harad & Umbar, Eregion & Rivendel, Durins Folk, Fellowship, White Council
Welcome aboard Rob!
Hello Rob and welcome!

Chris, second week of March for a rules refresher sounds ace to me. It's been a long time since I played LotR so much needed.
I do have a single rule question; What are the restrictions on putting a force together with the new rules? In the return of the king days you could just have any evil models on one side and any good models on the other, this still the case or is it more split into factions now?
also turns out I only ever got as far as undercoating and putting a couple of base colours on my orcs, more things to add to the paint queue :/
Warhammer Fantasy Beastmen, Woodelves; Warhammer 40K Dark Eldar, Blood angels, Tyranids; Battlefleet Gothic Imperial, Dark Eldar; Saga Vikings; Guild ball Masons; Dropzone Commander & Dropfleet PHR, UCM(dropfleet only); Lord of the rings Mordor, Gundabad; Beyond the gates of Antares Ghar Outcast Rebels
Quote:"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain."

So we're looking at March 8th for a rules refresher? Sounds good to me.
(19-02-2016, 11:33 PM)Stuart Wrote:
(18-02-2016, 04:01 PM)jaqenhgar Wrote: In terms of points for a game, what are people's feelings on the points limit you could comfortably fit into an evening? How many pts did you play vs Matt the other evening Stu and did you feel it was a good length? I am initially thinking between 400 - 600pts for a battle. Does that sound about right?

Sorry Chris, only just saw this question. Not sure how many points we played, I'll check with Matt and let you know. The game itself was a perfect length for a evening's gaming.

Matt says we played just over 500 points each.
For those who don't have the rule books (new & old) here's a drop box link to download them;
CONTACT ME FOR LINK (removed by admin)

I've also included the out of print source books - tons of scenarios for the up coming campaign, current army lists (kingdoms of men, free peoples, mordor, moria & angmar, fallen realms), and a couple of resources that I've created my self to make things a bit quicker in game (army roster sheet, chart sheet).

Hope these are useful!
I've put some of these on my iPad rather than carrying the rule books around, and printed out (and laminated) the army roster sheet, summary rules and quick sheet for ease.

Feel free to pass these around Smile

P.s If the link doesn't work. Let me know and I can always wetransfer a new link.
LOTR/Hobbit SBG: Rohan, Minas Tirith, Numenor, Mordor, Moria & Angmar, Isengard, Harad & Umbar, Eregion & Rivendel, Durins Folk, Fellowship, White Council