Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GT Heat 2 Report:
Morning guys,

So after a very fun weekend of hard gaming, I had a lot of fun and learnt a ton about my army and where I want to go in future events with this build type.

Heres a brief run through of my games:

To save time.. assume I got Invisibility in every game!

GAME1:
Vs Blood Angels, Assassin and Imperial Knight.
Libby in pod with Centurions, Culuxes Assassin in Drop Pod, FW tank with 7" blast, str10, AP1 range 36"... Imperial Knight with Melta Cannon, 5 Marines in Pod with Meltagun and Combi-melta and 2x5 Scouts.

I got passed turn1.. so castled up in a corner, cast invis, the assassin came down and removed all my powers.. the Centurions came down in the midfield, the Knight and Tank moved into range, after the dust had settled the ravenwing command squad had largely been killed, but I had survived.. so charged and killed the Assassin and Centurions! (Yay Rad Grenades)

The Knight then charged the Star and D punched a Cyberwolf (lol) and then got smashed by a Wolfguard Battle Leader and Iron Priest, only for them both to be stomped out with a 6!! As they both struck @ I1, But I had killed 3/4 huge threats to my list and Invisibility was still around.

So I cast Invisibility on the star in my turn3 so the FW tank with its huge blastr couldn't target it and cleared the table bar a couple of Pods and the tank which was in his backfield. I used the Pods to protect the scouts from the huge blast (cannot target my models if the blast would intentionally hurt his own unit(s), so the scouts stayed 1" away from them and within range of objectives (obsec ftw!).

Huge win 30-1

GAME2 vs Eldar
I was facing a list I'd actually had idea about, but didn't think it'd work,

4 Aspect Hosts of Warp Spiders!!! 65 Warp Spiders in total and a Culuxes assassin..

So this game was over turn1..

I deployed on the line and so did my opponent, with him going first until I seized the initiative, I had to kill the Assassin to get Invis or the 130 shots per turns from the Spiders, hitting on 2's and wounding on 2's would ruin me.. I moved up and needed 8" (5" on the dice thanks to my +3" charge distance) to charge the Assassin which had infiltrated, I rolled a double1.. so my star never got invisibility and despite some pretty epic rolling by the ravenwing command squad it took 5 turns to leave me with a scout to claim linebreaker..

I went for the win.. I could have castled around my objective and he wouldn't have done anything to me for 3 turns, which gives me time to defend my objective with the remnants of the star which would have continued to fall back until it was time to clear my objective of Spiders.

Went for it and lost.

Lose 30-2

GAME3:
vs Ad Mech, Skitarii, Flesh Tearers Blood Angels

My opponent had stuff.. 2x3 Ad Mech Grav Squads, 2 squads of Skitarii in pods, 1 unit of Marines with Librarian in Pod, 1 unit of Scouts, 2 empty pods??? POD THE SCOUTS!! anyway.. Bunker with escape hatch and that was about it??

Basically I still have no idea about Ad Mech or Skitarii, they are huge weakness in my 40k knowledge..

I took turn1 and moved into the midfield to charge the scout squad that had infiltrated... but failed another charge I needed to roll a 5.. in the end I basically tabled my opponent by turn4, the Ad Mech stuff shoots a lot, but cannot take any punishment in combat..

But it was a Maelstrom mission.. I won on the last turn 7 to 6.. which gives me another big win!

I still don't know much about Admech or Skitarii! haha

Win 29-2

Game4 vs Necrons
Overlord with Immortals in Nightscythe, 3x10 Warriors on Ghostarks, 3x Tomb Blades, 3x3 Tomb Blades. (exactly the same list as my practice game on wednesday last week)

This game was super close, I killed all but the Nightscythe, 1 unit of Warriors in the Ark and 2 units of Tomb Blades, I needed a turn7 as I couldn't stop his units contesting objectives (he had end of turn after giving me turn1)

I could have played much better, but in the end we drew! 1 objective each, should have played in the midfield more, but went for the 3 objectives (had to clear off 15 Deathmarks, 20 Warriors and 2 Arks, which were bubble wrapping each other in his corner! I managed to clear that lot but the Tomb Blades turbo boosting on objectives turn5 and 6 and the squad out the Nightscythe splitting up from the Overlord to contest 2 objectives, needed a turn7 and I would have cleared the Tomb Blades and given me the win 3-1 but alas, it wasn't to be!

My opponent played the perfect game and I didn't

Draw 15-12 in my favour

Game5 vs Nids

As Will posted, not a great match up for me as I cannot touch flyers in the Kill Point mission, so I faced 3 Flying Tyrants, Barbed Hydrodule, 12 Termagaunts, 1 Malenthrope and 2 Mucolid Spores.

That limits me to 3 KPs, 1 of them being a Gargantuan Creature with Stomp so I have to risk lots of Kps for one.

I killed the Malenthrope and the Termagaunts, he killed my Scouts.. we drew..

Nothing much I could have done, I could have charged the Barbed Creature but risked stomp! but wasn't worth, both of us thinking a Draw would put us through, 2 Wins and 2 Draws at this stage.

Draw 14-12 in my favour

Game6 vs
Eldar with 3 Wraithknights, 5 units of Jetbikes and a unit of Ranges with Warlocks as leaders of each his 3 Cads.

The game was all but over turn2.. I moved the star up so that only one of the Wraithknights could charge the star, he did, I killed it but he stomped got 3 stomps and rolled 2 6's killing all the Ravenwing, an Iron priest and DA Libby plus 4-6 Dogs..

Turn2 consolidated my position and prepared for the 2 Wraithknights to charge, I killed both Wraithknights, only for Stomps to continue to gut the star.. leaving just Tiggy, 1 Librarian the Inquisitor and 2 Cyberwolves..

My opponent had bottom of turn and could hide until it was time to commit to the objectives, which he turbo'd onto all the objectives for a big win. I've done this so many times, as he was playing exactly how I would have played.

Again, it was down to the Stomps, not much more I could have done.

Loss 30-2

In the end I finished 25th? needed to be 23'd to qualify for the final.. gutted! Undecided I didnt deserve to qualify. Not the best match ups games 4 and 5, but that was my own fault and should have played much better game4 against the Necrons! Much to learn from!

Looking forwards to the Allies of Convenience Podcast tournament next month! Big Grin

Nice write up. Shame you just missed out on qualifying.

Sounds like it was stomps that ruined your deathstar. Anything you would change to fix that or is it just a case of avoiding superheavy walkers and gargantuan creatures in case they roll that dreaded six?
Warhammer Fantasy Beastmen, Woodelves; Warhammer 40K Dark Eldar, Blood angels, Tyranids; Battlefleet Gothic Imperial, Dark Eldar; Saga Vikings; Guild ball Masons; Dropzone Commander & Dropfleet PHR, UCM(dropfleet only); Lord of the rings Mordor, Gundabad; Beyond the gates of Antares Ghar Outcast Rebels
Quote:"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain."

Plenty I can change mate, but not at 1500pts, this is about as good as the star gets at this points level, I could drop the Banner and a few other bits and bobs to get a tactical squad in a Rhino for better scoring, which having my time again, I would probably do.

My main fears going into the event were FMCs, things that Stomp, in particular armies with things with Multiple stomps, not getting invis or the Culexes Assassin, Oh and MSU on multiple objectives, especially the scouring, my weakest mission. I faced all of these and most them at least twice over 6 games, so it was an amazing test. I came up short, which was a shame, but it, it was it is. I learnt a lot.

The next 2 events are 1850pts. Next is 3 source, Cally in Jan, I'm going battleforged, which is going to be crazy! But unlimited sources.

The Deathstar is pretty much as good as its ever going to get, but it needs support, Scouts did nothing for me and pretty much died in 4/6 games with nothing I could do to protect them, as the star needs to be all up the opponents face, cannot spread too thin, as Azrael, Tiggy and the Inquisitor or liable to being snipped out, even with Invis.

I will however be dropping the DA libby, he did nothing, I should have gone Chaplain, even on foot over him, dropping a Fenrisian Wolf or something.

I'm sure I will be posting plenty of lists up tonight/tomorrow.