Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WFB 8th rule queries
Can a standard bearer wield a two-handed weapon?
40K - Dark Angels, Dark Eldar, Necrons; Lord of the Rings - lots; Bloodbowl - Dwarves, Wood Elves; SAGA - Anglo Danes & Welsh; Guildball - Morticians, Engineers; Dropzone/fleet - Shaltari
I think the rulebook lets you, but most army books restrict what the BSB can hold. except beastmen whos BSB's can hold two handed great weapons and huge magic banners.
Warhammer Fantasy Beastmen, Woodelves; Warhammer 40K Dark Eldar, Blood angels, Tyranids; Battlefleet Gothic Imperial, Dark Eldar; Saga Vikings; Guild ball Masons; Dropzone Commander & Dropfleet PHR, UCM(dropfleet only); Lord of the rings Mordor, Gundabad; Beyond the gates of Antares Ghar Outcast Rebels
Quote:"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain."

A Battle Standard Bearer can be equipped with a Great Weapon or a Weapon that requires two hands. Just imagine he plants it before fighting. However if given a Magical Standard, they lose the ability to take magic weapons.

If equipped with a Great Weapon they gain Always Strikes last, so will then attack at initiative order, as ASF and ASL cancel. Not that if they gain either a second case of either ASF or ASL it does not benefit/hinder them, as the game checks do they have a case of ASF (yes or yes twice,) and do they have a case of ASL (yes or yes twice,) both are yes, they cancel. Also note that if equipped with a Magical Two Handed Weapon, that you do not automatically gain ASL, unless the weapon specifically states that you do. In that case its possible to attack at ASF speed.

Of further note Magical Weapons DO NOT gain benefits from magic banners such as Razor Standard or Flaming Banner. Also having a two handed weapon does not prohibit equipping a shield, but any benefits granted from the shield (+1 Armour, Ward or whatever,) cannot be utilised whilst in combat. Whilst on shields a Magical One Handed weapon cannot be used to parry.

Finally the order of combat (Initiative) is as follows.
  • Always Strikes First - regardless of a models initiative they all strike in this step. Note that having a higher initiative does not grant rerolls against others at this step.
  • Initiative 10 - Either base 10, or ASF and ASL with an I 10
  • Initiative 9 - Either base 9, or ASF and ASL with an I 10
  • Initiative 8 - Either base 8, or ASF and ASL with an I 10
  • Initiative 7 - Either base 7, or ASF and ASL with an I 10
  • Initiative 6 - Either base 6, or ASF and ASL with an I 10
  • Initiative 5 - Either base 5, or ASF and ASL with an I 10
  • Initiative 4 - Either base 4, or ASF and ASL with an I 10
  • Initiative 3 - Either base 3, or ASF and ASL with an I 10
  • Initiative 2 - Either base 2, or ASF and ASL with an I 10
  • Initiative 1 - Either base 1, or ASF and ASL with an I 10
  • Always Strikes Last - Regardless of a models initiative, they all get to strike at this step even if killed first.
Star Wars Legion - Rebels
Guildball - Alchemists
Blood Bowl - Lizardmen
OK thanks both, so a High Elf noble with BSB and great weapon is quite a bit cheaper than one with an ogre blade and just loses ASF but is still hitting at I7, although the great weapon option cant use shield in combat....hmm...
40K - Dark Angels, Dark Eldar, Necrons; Lord of the Rings - lots; Bloodbowl - Dwarves, Wood Elves; SAGA - Anglo Danes & Welsh; Guildball - Morticians, Engineers; Dropzone/fleet - Shaltari