Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stay classy GW (re. GCN affiliation)
GCN update -

“Hello everyone, we have a quick update for you all. Games Workshop have informed all of their managers to remove any and all GCN Club adverts from their stores and to not inform the clubs themselves. As we have found this out we have decided to keep you informed as to whats happening especially as we know there are some of our clubs who rely on the advertising Games Workshop have at times provided. If you have any questions let us know through here and we will do all we can to answer them”

GCN credit the advertising space that GW gave them in stores and in White Dwarf for keeping some of their clubs alive. Presumably from GW’s point of view, they do not wish to expose their customers to non-GW games, and especially to be responsible for it by advertising the club.

If this is true, then it's a bit of a crap move from GW
Simian aka Ben
Interests
40k Death Guard, Nurgle and Space Wolves, Malifaux (Guild, Gremlins & Ressers), In Her Majesties Name (Professor Berengei's Circus), Bolt Action (Big Red One), Dredd (Robots), OGaM, Necromunda (Redemptionists)

Hooting into the Abyss
Just to make people aware the statement is in the quotation marks, speculation as to why is not the part of the GCNs communication over this. Just in case anyone links the two together, and potentially causes the GCN any issues, as their FB comment later was positive towards their involvement with GW.

I'm a little confused as to their reasoning as the stores have been trying to push people away towards clubs. This could be a shift in company policy, although with the praise they had over reaching out to the community with the AoS release, will probably be eroded with this.
Star Wars Legion - Rebels
Guildball - Alchemists
Blood Bowl - Lizardmen
It's an odd one, on one side GCN have put this up on their Facebook page but on the other they seem to be trying to distance themselves from it.
Simian aka Ben
Interests
40k Death Guard, Nurgle and Space Wolves, Malifaux (Guild, Gremlins & Ressers), In Her Majesties Name (Professor Berengei's Circus), Bolt Action (Big Red One), Dredd (Robots), OGaM, Necromunda (Redemptionists)

Hooting into the Abyss
They are just not trying to burn their bridges, in case this decision gets reversed. I have no idea what else the machine does for the GCN, but if they go about slagging them off, whatever else could get removed.
Guildball - Alchemists
Blood Bowl - Lizardmen
From the GCN Facebook page yesterday:

Quote:A Statement from the GCN President

This morning, I was informed of a thread within a forum which stated that Games Workshop was ordering the removal of GCN posters from all GW stores. Having checked the validity of this, it is fact that this had been promulgated in an internal GW store newsletter.

The GCN had already agreed to a meeting with GW management to discuss future relations, which included such areas as advertising and child protection policies. As far as I was aware any changes would rest on the decisions of that meeting (which in the case of the GCN would have required a vote of the general membership) and this statement has come as a complete surprise.

This is especially disappointing considering the tumultuous year the GCN has endured following the sudden death of the last president which has involved a complete restructuring and creation of a new website, due to come online by the Autumn. We have also expanded the number of companies and manufacturers we are involved with to whom we have a policy of favouring no one over any other.

The meeting on the 8th August has not been cancelled and we will, of course, inform you of any developments.
Figures painted in 2016: 4 Blush
"What this game needs is a panda with a chaingun."
So having read through the latest GCN Facebook status, it would appear that the instruction to remove club adverts, is down to a failure on the GCN to ensure that member clubs are DBS checked. The GCN are looking into what is required with regards to DBS, but in the time being it would appear that GW acted in an entirely appropriate way, with regards to child protection.
Guildball - Alchemists
Blood Bowl - Lizardmen
Announcement just posted:

Quote:ANNOUNCEMENT REGARDING THE CESSATION OF THE GAMING CLUB NETWORK AND GAMES WORKSHOPS AFFILIATION

Following an internal review, Games Workshop has expressed concern over the extent of the Child Protection Policy required by the GCN for its member clubs. In short, they believe it does not go far enough when compared to their own child protection policies.

Therefore in order to remain as an affiliate they have requested that the GCN do the following:

1. That all Council Members and Committee members of clubs be asked to undergo DBS checks.
  2. That these should take place even within clubs that do not allow members under 18.
  3. That the GCN sign an undertaking to do this.
  4. If the GCN does not agree to the above, GW requested they instead change their membership requirements to only accept clubs whose members are 18 and over.
The GCN has examined the request and refused on the following grounds:

1. That it would be illegal for the GCN to request its members to undergo DBS checks. For this reason alone it could not be voted on by the membership. This was even before administrative and legal costs were taken into consideration
  2. That to sign undertakings of this nature would open both the Council members and Club Committee members to legal action.
  3. In addition it was felt that the GCN has already has a stringent Child Protection Policy that equals and exceeds any of the equivalent hobby organisations including model railway and chess.
  4. The GCN cannot agree to a restriction of the types of clubs that can become members as it is in opposition to the GCNs mission statement to support and encourage the activities andinterests of Clubs and Individuals in the Gaming Community in the UK and to promote best practice within the Gaming Hobby and Community.
After a final meeting, both parties agreed to end their affiliation as neither was able to move from their positions as given above.
It was agreed that a joint statement, agreed by the GCN Council and GW Management would be issued to prevent any negativity from either side against the other.

A preliminary statement incorporating modifications as suggested by the full GCN council has been completed and will be presented to GW next week. Once GW has agreed to that statement, it will be formally presented for final approval by the GCN Council at a special meeting on the 10th October 2015.

If you have any questions or concerns please contact us either through this site or through one of our Facebook pages.

Dan Carroll
Figures painted in 2016: 4 Blush
"What this game needs is a panda with a chaingun."
That's that then.
Dropfleet Commander: UCM
Dropzone Commander: UCM
Star Wars X-Wing: Rebel Alliance
Magic the Gathering
LotR SBG: High Elves
Warhammer 40,000 7th ed.: Astra Militarum & Eldar
Halo Fleet Battles: Covenant
BFG: Imperial Navy & Eldar Corsairs
Warhammer Fantasy 8th ed.: Warriors of Chaos

Element Games referral code JAS173.
I can't decide if I'm just being biased against GW, but it seems like they created a situation they knew the GCN couldn't comply with, causing the affiliation to dissolve. But then that could be my bias showing.
Warmachine (Retribution of Scyrah, Khador), Hordes (Trollbloods, Blindwater Congregation), Bolt Action (IJA Infantry Section, Soviet Russia Armoured Platoon), SAGA (Norse-Gaels (WIP)), Deadzone (Enforcers, Forge Fathers)
(22-09-2015, 12:23 PM)Etched Oracle Wrote: I can't decide if I'm just being biased against GW, but it seems like they created a situation they knew the GCN couldn't comply with, causing the affiliation to dissolve. But then that could be my bias showing.

Yeah seems like it to me too, sure they have had some of their legal guys on this to find a way.
40K - Dark Angels, Dark Eldar, Necrons; Lord of the Rings - lots; Bloodbowl - Dwarves, Wood Elves; SAGA - Anglo Danes & Welsh; Guildball - Morticians, Engineers; Dropzone/fleet - Shaltari