Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Warhammer: Age of Sigmar
(06-07-2015, 06:51 PM)jaqenhgar Wrote:
(06-07-2015, 12:12 PM)Simian Wrote: a friend of mind did a fair amount of testing over the weekend and has posted a review.

https://ideaswithoutend.wordpress.com/20...pts-setup/

https://ideaswithoutend.wordpress.com/20...onclusion/

Good review!

Yeah i think it was pretty balanced, he did say as he was writing it that underneath he was mutter "what the f**k are you thinking GW?" but he holds it back fairly well.
Simian aka Ben
Interests
40k Death Guard, Nurgle and Space Wolves, Malifaux (Guild, Gremlins & Ressers), In Her Majesties Name (Professor Berengei's Circus), Bolt Action (Big Red One), Dredd (Robots), OGaM, Necromunda (Redemptionists)

Hooting into the Abyss
What I don't get are all the people online defending it and trying to make it work
40K - Dark Angels, Dark Eldar, Necrons; Lord of the Rings - lots; Bloodbowl - Dwarves, Wood Elves; SAGA - Anglo Danes & Welsh; Guildball - Morticians, Engineers; Dropzone/fleet - Shaltari
I can't believe they'd destroy the old world setting when they could have put there efforts into exploring it more. Still got some of the really old white dwarfs where they'd detail the background to the empire and some of the great battle reports like the alliance of wood elves and dwarves against the empire where Karl franz was taken out by a wood elf on an eagle with a frost blade. Ahhh, those were the days...
40K - Dark Angels, Dark Eldar, Necrons; Lord of the Rings - lots; Bloodbowl - Dwarves, Wood Elves; SAGA - Anglo Danes & Welsh; Guildball - Morticians, Engineers; Dropzone/fleet - Shaltari
(06-07-2015, 11:27 PM)jaqenhgar Wrote: I can't believe they'd destroy the old world setting when they could have put there efforts into exploring it more. Still got some of the really old white dwarfs where they'd detail the background to the empire and some of the great battle reports like the alliance of wood elves and dwarves against the empire where Karl franz was taken out by a wood elf on an eagle with a frost blade. Ahhh, those were the days...

Me neither, seems like an awful waste to me...
Dropfleet Commander: UCM
Dropzone Commander: UCM
Star Wars X-Wing: Rebel Alliance
Magic the Gathering
LotR SBG: High Elves
Warhammer 40,000 7th ed.: Astra Militarum & Eldar
Halo Fleet Battles: Covenant
BFG: Imperial Navy & Eldar Corsairs
Warhammer Fantasy 8th ed.: Warriors of Chaos

Element Games referral code JAS173.
lovely to see they literally have added a pay to win clause

Take ogres, offer your opponent a fiver, if he accepts his unit is yours, win the game.......
Simian aka Ben
Interests
40k Death Guard, Nurgle and Space Wolves, Malifaux (Guild, Gremlins & Ressers), In Her Majesties Name (Professor Berengei's Circus), Bolt Action (Big Red One), Dredd (Robots), OGaM, Necromunda (Redemptionists)

Hooting into the Abyss
Maybe a time to establish the Redditch club set of WFB oldRules and just continue with our own 9th edition? Big Grin
Though I don't think I've seen many people play Warhammer recently
W40K: Blood Ravens / Orks / Inquisitor / Imperial Guard
Warhammer: Dwarfs
Warmachine: Protectorate of Menoth / Khador / Cygar / Circle
Malifaux: Started Neverborn and Outcasts
from http://natfka.blogspot.co.uk/2015/07/gw-...tions.html :

An official representitive was Forgeworld answering questions directly, and not shying away from the hard ones. Need to know about the future of points in AoS? Here are the answers.

thanks to a reader for sending this in.

Shared via Luca Pinsuti
"GW had a guy camped out at the Forge World open day whos entire job was to answer questions and talk to people about Age of Sigmar. His entire job is to go to shows and talk to people about the new game. For the first time I think ever they're taking Age of Sigmar to Gencon, Comic Con, all the major wargames conventions in Europe etc. They're throwing a considerable amount of money at putting this in front of new audiences who have never played fantasy before. He was also brutally honest and didn't dodge any questions and answered everything he could. I'll start with the negative stuff first.

This is it. There categorically will not be a '9th' edition of fantasy. Age of Sigmar is the only thing fantasy related GW will do for the considerable future.

He acknowledges that the 'funny' rules are rather silly and don't make for a great intro to the system for new people. His response was that the armies in the box set don't have the silly rules. They're there as kind of a celebration and final send off of the old warhammer armies, and he said you might notice the new armies don't have the stupid noises or imaginary friends. This is deliberate, its designed that you'll only generally play the old stuff with your mates since it's a bit embarassing to play in a public place.

The new races will look different to the old ones. Ooruks will not look the same as the orcs we currently have. As such, when they get round to releasing Ooruks, the old models will cease production. He did say that you can still use your old models as ooruks, but you won't be able to buy normal orc boys again.
There will never be points values.

On to the slightly positive stuff then.
They are going to fully support all modes of play, and will be releasing rules to balance armies against each other. There will be narrative campaigns where your forces are picked for you for specific missions, and there will be a system for tournament players to balance lists that isn't based on model count. He did not know the specifics of this, but said it is definitely coming.
The rules will always be free. He said that they are very very aware that fantasy had a massive buy in for someone to get started, as such the game was designed with the ability to play it with one box of models. There will be army books, but every rule in them will be available, for free, online. The books will just have extra background info and scenarios.

GW really are trying harder than they ever have before to make this work. If you're at one of the shows go and talk to them. They want to talk to you about this, but especially they want your feedback on it. As he said, this is totally uncharted territory for them and they are totally open to rules revisions as they go.

I forgot probably the best/worst bit. I asked him if he knew that it was possible to win the game first turn with the screaming bell/fateweaver thing. 'Thats deliberate' he said. 'You can do whatever you want in this game, but if you do stuff like that you probably wont have many people to play against."
Yes I think for playing with current armies we'll have to stick with 8th or house rule it
I never had any issues with core 8th ed so I'm happy to go back to it for any games played in the future.
I'm sure not everyone agrees of course Big Grin
W40K: Blood Ravens / Orks / Inquisitor / Imperial Guard
Warhammer: Dwarfs
Warmachine: Protectorate of Menoth / Khador / Cygar / Circle
Malifaux: Started Neverborn and Outcasts
Seems like comparing 8th to AoS is like comparing an iphone 5 to an ngage.
For the Angelic Horde!