Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Now reading...
Ruckmarsch Then and Now - John Paul Pallud

Documents the German retreat from Normandy in 1944. I'm a major fan of the After the Battle publications and this is an essential buy for any military history buff.

Rifleman: A front line life

Although I'm only half way through this, you couldn't make up half of what happened to Victor Gregg. An amazing life.

Si
Halo: Glasslands

I'm a sucker for any media-related/tie-in novels. Next on the list is Halo: Primordium which turned up the other day.
Warmachine (Retribution of Scyrah, Khador), Hordes (Trollbloods, Blindwater Congregation), Bolt Action (IJA Infantry Section, Soviet Russia Armoured Platoon), SAGA (Norse-Gaels (WIP)), Deadzone (Enforcers, Forge Fathers)
Honeywell 2020/3820/3820i Cordless Barcode System Programming Guide. Riveting stuff.

Couple of books I (still) need to finish are A Game of Thrones (first volume of A Song of Ice and Fire) and Fulgrim. I really must set more time aside for reading stuff other than rulebooks and programming texts.
Figures painted in 2016: 4 Blush
"What this game needs is a panda with a chaingun."
I agree Si, the after the battle are supeb, and could be a great insperation for game ideas.
I've just finished Terry Pratchett's Raising Steam and I'm just about to start on Raymond E. Fiest's magican series - yet more ideas gathering I think
(12-01-2012, 10:23 AM)Stuart Wrote: Couple of books I (still) need to finish are A Game of Thrones (first volume of A Song of Ice and Fire) and Fulgrim. I really must set more time aside for reading stuff other than rulebooks and programming texts.

Funny that Stu, I also started GoT and am about half way through Fulgrim. Most of my "reading" is done via listening. Physical reading time is more devoted to gaming manuals / army books etc, but I can easily knock off 4-5 hours at work, ploughing through an audio version. I avoid abridged stuff though, there really is no point to it. It's more akin to watching Jackson butcher a film than hearing a story. I must finish the Ian Irvines three worlds books, seeing as I got half way through sometime in the 90s and again to the same point audibly two summers ago.
Star Wars Legion - Rebels
Guildball - Alchemists
Blood Bowl - Lizardmen
Cracking read by a good mate of mine but I can be objective.

Attached Files Image(s)

" Target Stop!"
The Crusades: The War for the Holy Land
Thomas Asbridge, 2012

Figures painted in 2016: 4 Blush
"What this game needs is a panda with a chaingun."
Just finished 'Pegasus Bridge'.
History is written by the victors - Sir Winston Churchill
Creating a larger collection of Norse reference material for my leatherworking

Currently I have

Viking Art (James Graham-Campbell)
Great selection of images and history running throughout 775-1125 and how the style and carving etc. changed over the centuries.

Viking Age Costume Guide (Pieter J. Pierot)
Bought this from Poland. The Author has amassed illustrations (quite historically accurate) over 20 years and compiled them into a reference book with a few patterns and basic descriptions though it is more a visual reference than anything else!

Vikings: The Battle At The End Of Time (Tony Allan)
Just started reading it. Gives a brief overview into various aspects of Norse culture, roles and beliefs.

Anglo-Saxon Britain (Grant Allen)
Haven't yet started but the book attempts to give a brief sketch of Britain under the early English conquerors, rather than from the social than from the political point of view. I.e. there is not much information regarding the kings and statesmen, but the attention has been towards the less obvious evidence afforded by the existing monuments as to the life and mode of thought of the people themselves.

As far as Fantasy goes, i'm halfway through the rather dark trilogy of Prince/ King/ Emperor of Thorns