Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
40k 7th Edition is up for pre order 17th, releases 24th May
Well sounds like there is enough interest then - might have to get my thinking cap on!
40K - Dark Angels, Dark Eldar, Necrons; Lord of the Rings - lots; Bloodbowl - Dwarves, Wood Elves; SAGA - Anglo Danes & Welsh; Guildball - Morticians, Engineers; Dropzone/fleet - Shaltari
Sorry double post
40K - Dark Angels, Dark Eldar, Necrons; Lord of the Rings - lots; Bloodbowl - Dwarves, Wood Elves; SAGA - Anglo Danes & Welsh; Guildball - Morticians, Engineers; Dropzone/fleet - Shaltari
(29-05-2014, 09:52 PM)Baalborn87 Wrote:
(29-05-2014, 12:30 PM)GreyKnight Wrote:
(29-05-2014, 07:38 AM)jaqenhgar Wrote:
(28-05-2014, 06:10 PM)GreyKnight Wrote: Interesting read.

This is what concerns me the most about 7th Edition really. I love the fluff surrounding 40K, I love the novels and the imagery. When I design my army lists I create an army that is in keeping with what the fluff says is "normal" for that race/army. I don't care about winning at any cost, what I do care about is having armies that have plenty of troop choices (because troops are what most armies are made up of in real life) and only fast/elites/heavies etc that are likely to be in that army for good reasons. Eg, I have Iron Warriors in 40K. They should have plenty of Havocs, Vindicators and long range fire power, that's what the Iron Warriors do. I limit things like fast attack because Iron Warriors are known for their siege warfare and big guns, their tactical preferences would make them shun bikes and Raptors etc.

The trouble is, I'm in a serious minority here and would never win a damn thing against players who just build the most fiendish lists, plus I guess that most players wouldn't want to agree to play me using "in character lists". It looks like 7th Edition is just going to make that even more of an issue.

I for one would be happy to play an in character list. Played a 3rd company dark angels with limited ravenwing and armory support against Peachy's Salamanders the other week and it was one of the closest most fun games I've had in a while. I have been thinking for a while about running a small campaign with a few players where there are serious limitations on FOC etc to make fluffy characterful lists. Might see if I can sort it out for the summer once work calms down. Don't know if it would get enough interest though?

Count me in! Just need a few more models as I can only make 1000 points at the moment.

I also like this idea. Have been considering getting the Planetary Empires expansion which would fit a "character list" army campaign. Mabey will get it with the new rulebook.

We have a copy of planetary empires that i bought for the club, will sort it out if wanted.
40k- Space marines(5000 pts) Imperial guard (3000 pts) Tau (3000 pts)
Epic 40k-Space marines/Imperial Guard(2000 pts)
Infinity Yu jing (Aprox 1000 pts)
Necromunda Escher Mad capsules Avalanche
Blood bowl Skaven
I like the idea of a campaign over tournaments and the battles part of a bigger story.

I agree with the new rules you need more communication when arranging games even its just agreeing whether to use unbound or battle hardened. I've experienced games similar to unbound when you used to only have percentage limits on each unit group like still exists in fantasy. I many versions of 40k ago used to field a marine army with 7 devastator squads with armoured support. Sat back on overwatch and just wiped out so many armies as soon as they tried to do anything. now a days because of the minimum 6 troop and 3 HQ choices it would take to just field the dev's it would be such a large points cost that id expect my opponent to send a lord of battle or 3 at me lol .

A great example of playing to win rather than following fluff was when a high elf opponent of mine had it pointed out the 25% he could spend on support options meant he could filed over 10 repeater bolt throwers and so went round borrowing any he could find. would have been lethal to play against if he hadnt put them all on the same hill so i dealt with them in one turn with dropping a terror causing greater daemon into the middle of them .
No you are right I dont need any more models......but it's so shiney

40K & WFB - Chaos daemons, BFG - Imperial, Warmachine - Cygnar,Retribution and Skorne. Blood Bowl - Chaos,dwarves,humans.