Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wood elves in May
Having had my book for a few days (didn't arrive till Thursday) and played my first game today (and won(Just)). I can say the new book is a big improvement over the last one. I don't think its overpowered and it doesn't change the way wood elves play (lots of small units running around controlling the battlefield). That said there are now far more options and you no longer need to play the traditional way (a close combat elf force or magic based army is an option now!).
No real losers as far as units go. Well Dryads having no banner/magician is a bit annoying, and I was annoyed at being forced to ambush glade riders but having used them now its not as bad as I thought.
Big winners in my opinion are the eternal guard, stubborn elves with spears that work even when charging with effectively both the special rules for high and dark elves as long as they stay in a forest!

the big change is that we now have magic arrows which can be given to units to give them different shooting abilities, -3 armour modifier, poisoned shots, multiple shots, no to hit modifier shots and +1 to wound flaming shots against either order or destruction. They are a nice touch allowing you to mess about with different units shooting abilities and make up foe the loss of the asari archery and glade guard longbow special rules. Not so sure about the +1 to wound arrows as it means you have to tailor your list to your opponent if you want to use them.
Always strikes first is good as it means I can actually engage that one warrior of chaos that's left alive after my shooting in Close combat and win!
Access to all 8 book magic laws and high and dark magic is nice, gives lots of options which can change the way the army plays without needing to buy new models. In fact this book works brilliantly with my current army so anyone with wood elf models probably doesn't need to spend a penny to use the new rules and do well. (except the eternal guard models are amazing so I've been unable to resist)

All in all I am happy with this book, its good enough for me to put my beastmen to one side and actually paint/play my wood elves. At least until there is a new beastman book!
Warhammer Fantasy Beastmen, Woodelves; Warhammer 40K Dark Eldar, Blood angels, Tyranids; Battlefleet Gothic Imperial, Dark Eldar; Saga Vikings; Guild ball Masons; Dropzone Commander & Dropfleet PHR, UCM(dropfleet only); Lord of the rings Mordor, Gundabad; Beyond the gates of Antares Ghar Outcast Rebels
Quote:"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain."

Messages In This Thread
Wood elves in May - by manrogue - 15-04-2014, 10:29 AM
RE: Wood elves in May - by Gareth - 21-04-2014, 11:43 AM
RE: Wood elves in May - by will - 26-04-2014, 01:49 PM
RE: Wood elves in May - by Gareth - 26-04-2014, 05:07 PM
RE: Wood elves in May - by will - 11-05-2014, 04:29 PM
RE: Wood elves in May - by jjakaalbinoboy - 12-05-2014, 10:51 AM