Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wood elves in May
Now guard are done, wood elves are next-

Here are rumours from faeit212:

Quote: anonymous source on Faeit 212 wrote:Wood Elves are out in May. They get only a two week release - armybook, magic cards and three plastic kits. It is not a total overhaul and their finecast kits - even the cavalry plastic-finecast-kits - stay valid. The only exception is the eternal guard. They are dropped completely. The models can be used as war dancers.

One of the new kits is special because it can be used for several different units. You can build either three hawk riders, which are one hawk and two surfers now, or three giant owl-like monsters called stonefeathers and six waywatchers. On top of that you can build a hero on hawk or on foot.

The second kit is a war dancer combokit. The second unit wears varying animal masks and shields made of pelt on wooden frames. They have animal claws as weapons.

The last kit is tree ancient and meadow hag. The former is a giant-sized tree man with a huge beard made of bark. The latter has a crown of leaves and she has a skirt of roots instead of legs. Her hands grow into a web of thorns.

The rest of the range stays as it is, the finecast kits probably mail order only.

The wood elves have very dynamic poses because almost all their units are skirmishers again and the sculptors didn't have to worry about spacing. Skirmishers work seamlessly with other regiments in 9th edition, so there will be no problem with this play style.

Some Warseer rumours from March:
Spoiler:

Quote:antaonix over at Warseer wrote:my korean Local shop manager posted that next fantasy release will be wood elves and they will take 3 boxes that maybe replace some current models, and also there will be one monster kit too. he didn't say anything about plastic characters or exact release date. he just confirmed about GW's second quarter release schedule and i never saw he post a wrong information

Quote: Plebian wrote:I heard that the three elven books were developed at the same time. If this is true, then it is very likely that there will be similarities between them. It makes sense thematically as well, since they are all based on the Elven Military shortly before the Sundering.
Quote: O.G-Palmer wrote:I don't come in here often as to many seem to argue rather than discuss. Anyway a little birdy (well ok not that short in-case she reads this) mentioned Orion and Ariel, and is adamant about a forest dragon and treeman kit.

Most of the current plastic wood elf range will remain the same, no mention of anything being in finecast.

Quote: BTJ wrote:Again, I just wanna say I got an eyeful of a Dragon being worked on at GDUK 2011. This was after the DE dragon's release and CAD, so I'm guessing it could be a WE Dragon that was being worked on.

Quote: SteveW wrote:All I've heard is they're getting a set of lore cards and eternal guard are going to be op.

Quote: TheKingInYellow wrote:Has anyone else heard the rumour about the alternate Treeman build being more like a building than a monster, with platforms in the branches manned by Waywatchers?

edit: Trying to remember where I read it, but it would be immobile, but moveable by Tree Singing, possibly as a bound spell on the 'tower' itself.
40k- Space marines(5000 pts) Imperial guard (3000 pts) Tau (3000 pts)
Epic 40k-Space marines/Imperial Guard(2000 pts)
Infinity Yu jing (Aprox 1000 pts)
Necromunda Escher Mad capsules Avalanche
Blood bowl Skaven
Teasers up.
Star Wars Legion - Rebels
Guildball - Alchemists
Blood Bowl - Lizardmen
I've just pre-ordered the book! might have to paint those glade guard that have been sat on my painting table for the last two months. The new treeman looks nice as well.
Just noticed the wardancers are metal though. I didn't think games workshop were doing metal anymore?
Warhammer Fantasy Beastmen, Woodelves; Warhammer 40K Dark Eldar, Blood angels, Tyranids; Battlefleet Gothic Imperial, Dark Eldar; Saga Vikings; Guild ball Masons; Dropzone Commander & Dropfleet PHR, UCM(dropfleet only); Lord of the rings Mordor, Gundabad; Beyond the gates of Antares Ghar Outcast Rebels
Quote:"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain."

(26-04-2014, 01:49 PM)will Wrote: Just noticed the wardancers are metal though. I didn't think games workshop were doing metal anymore?

Yes that is a strange one. Assumption is they have a new set of models on the way, and rather than start recasting in resin, they are trying to sell off existing metal stocks. Only the character (which is available separately,) is in resin, and all the wardancer models character included, are 6th edition models.
Star Wars Legion - Rebels
Guildball - Alchemists
Blood Bowl - Lizardmen
Having had my book for a few days (didn't arrive till Thursday) and played my first game today (and won(Just)). I can say the new book is a big improvement over the last one. I don't think its overpowered and it doesn't change the way wood elves play (lots of small units running around controlling the battlefield). That said there are now far more options and you no longer need to play the traditional way (a close combat elf force or magic based army is an option now!).
No real losers as far as units go. Well Dryads having no banner/magician is a bit annoying, and I was annoyed at being forced to ambush glade riders but having used them now its not as bad as I thought.
Big winners in my opinion are the eternal guard, stubborn elves with spears that work even when charging with effectively both the special rules for high and dark elves as long as they stay in a forest!

the big change is that we now have magic arrows which can be given to units to give them different shooting abilities, -3 armour modifier, poisoned shots, multiple shots, no to hit modifier shots and +1 to wound flaming shots against either order or destruction. They are a nice touch allowing you to mess about with different units shooting abilities and make up foe the loss of the asari archery and glade guard longbow special rules. Not so sure about the +1 to wound arrows as it means you have to tailor your list to your opponent if you want to use them.
Always strikes first is good as it means I can actually engage that one warrior of chaos that's left alive after my shooting in Close combat and win!
Access to all 8 book magic laws and high and dark magic is nice, gives lots of options which can change the way the army plays without needing to buy new models. In fact this book works brilliantly with my current army so anyone with wood elf models probably doesn't need to spend a penny to use the new rules and do well. (except the eternal guard models are amazing so I've been unable to resist)

All in all I am happy with this book, its good enough for me to put my beastmen to one side and actually paint/play my wood elves. At least until there is a new beastman book!
Warhammer Fantasy Beastmen, Woodelves; Warhammer 40K Dark Eldar, Blood angels, Tyranids; Battlefleet Gothic Imperial, Dark Eldar; Saga Vikings; Guild ball Masons; Dropzone Commander & Dropfleet PHR, UCM(dropfleet only); Lord of the rings Mordor, Gundabad; Beyond the gates of Antares Ghar Outcast Rebels
Quote:"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain."

Was a tough/close game Will. Took me down to man. (be it a Daemon Prince)
Dropfleet Commander: UCM
Dropzone Commander: UCM
Star Wars X-Wing: Rebel Alliance
Magic the Gathering
LotR SBG: High Elves
Warhammer 40,000 7th ed.: Astra Militarum & Eldar
Halo Fleet Battles: Covenant
BFG: Imperial Navy & Eldar Corsairs
Warhammer Fantasy 8th ed.: Warriors of Chaos

Element Games referral code JAS173.