Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wills First Tournament Thread
I am facing
James Jenkinson – High Elves
Prince
(Lance, Dragon armour, Shield, Star Dragon)
Noble
(Battle Standard Bearer, Lance, Heavy armour, Shield, Elven Steed, Ithilmar barding)
Mage
(Level 2 Wizard, Lore of Light)
Mage
(Level 2 Wizard, Lore of Light)
11 Silver Helms (Shields, Full command)
15 Archers (Musician)
5 Ellyrian Reavers (Bow Swap)
5 Ellyrian Reavers (Bow Swap)
25 White Lions of Chrace (Full command)
Frostheart Phoenix
Eagle Claw Boltthrower
Eagle Claw Boltthrower

I'm up against 136 points of Magic Items. I. Hoping to snipe out the Banner with Magic. My 3 Bolt Throwers can take on his Star Dragon, and unsung Bow Fire to take a charmed shield. However I would like to have had one more chaff drop, so I'm on Warmachines after his characters. As it is, I'll be hoping he wins first drop. If he does the game could go well for me, on the placing of units.
Star Wars Legion - Rebels
Guildball - Alchemists
Blood Bowl - Lizardmen
I'm facing all mark of slannesh stuff! whoo my jabberslythe's aura of madness has a chance of doing something. I don't see anything too scary in the list I'm facing.
Warhammer Fantasy Beastmen, Woodelves; Warhammer 40K Dark Eldar, Blood angels, Tyranids; Battlefleet Gothic Imperial, Dark Eldar; Saga Vikings; Guild ball Masons; Dropzone Commander & Dropfleet PHR, UCM(dropfleet only); Lord of the rings Mordor, Gundabad; Beyond the gates of Antares Ghar Outcast Rebels
Quote:"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain."

Mark of Slannesh is on the whole the best mark for most of the stuff in the book. It means his stuff will not run, and is reliable away from General and BSB. As for Lev 4 on Slannesh it's not the standard mark in a Deamon Prince, but gets him around the comp. It also means he had access to two spells that can stop your army moving (or rather moving d6") however your not going to get your buggies cannoned off.
Guildball - Alchemists
Blood Bowl - Lizardmen
Slanesh is just the same as immune to physiology but without the having to hold for charges isn't it? and yeah I've just looked through the empire lists most of them have two cannons and I've seen a couple that are two cannons and a steam tank. so if I end up against them it will be....interesting (stuff is gonna go splat).

That star dragon will be interesting for you to face garath, esp as its combined with a frostheart. Suppose it depends on how reliable your bolt throwers are going to be.
Warhammer Fantasy Beastmen, Woodelves; Warhammer 40K Dark Eldar, Blood angels, Tyranids; Battlefleet Gothic Imperial, Dark Eldar; Saga Vikings; Guild ball Masons; Dropzone Commander & Dropfleet PHR, UCM(dropfleet only); Lord of the rings Mordor, Gundabad; Beyond the gates of Antares Ghar Outcast Rebels
Quote:"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain."

Thing is my Magic is Better than his. I'm going to struggle without a scroll during the event, but last weekend, it never really got used early. My White Lions will hit his Dragon First, even with the Frosty, as long as I stop it getting ASF. Then it will be dead before it gets to strike. However I need to nuke the BoTWD to stop it being Stubborn.
Guildball - Alchemists
Blood Bowl - Lizardmen
Right results are in and the following places were contested within the club.

Gareth Parfitt 64th out of 106. 75/120 points.
Alan Joynes 68th out of 106. 71/120 points.
William Francis 102nd out of 106, but runner up for best in race. 48/120 points.

Run down of my Games.
Rd 1 James Jenkinson/HE - 8/12
Magic was *****, couldn't kill the dragon because of it, meaning I lost out on nearly 600 vp (Got General but not points for him, as he survived.) Net of Amyntok messed up my plan, and panics followed without general and BSB support. Entertaining though.

Rd 2 Alex Lunt/WE - 13/7
Spent the early turns removing stuff from bow fire, at an alarming rate. Charged Durthu with Phoenix, and held him off for a few turns. Lions got in, killed Durthu, and his Draicha killed herself. Enough for a win.

Rd 3 Rupert Read/Dwarfs - 9/11
He castled, I spread thin. He got first turn, and took out 2 Bolt Throwers and some reavers. I ran to my corner, but did take out the Grudge Thrower, with one Bolt Thrower, before some miners cleared it out. Played Rupert at BB5, nice lad, but I just made the best choice for the event, Non-game, over in under 40 minutes, as I just refused to die crossing the board.

Rd 4 Simon Cliffton/Skaven - 7/13
Brilliant fun, but couldn't get the Lions into his Stormvermin. Spent the game never rolling more than 6 magic dice per phase, and casting Fiery Convocation. He spent it, removing Stormvermin, and dispelling Fiery Convocation in his turn. Charged Phoenix into a Doomwheel, learnt my mistake. Storm Banner, and his spells meant my shooting was poor and the Phoenix spent two turns walking. Awesome opponent though.

Rd 5 Matt Sewell/Skaven - 10/10
First better player I have faced at an event (although he wasn't doing awesome at this one.) He got stuff, my Lions go his Stormvermin, which saved me. Brass Orb got the Phoenix, before it could do much (Howling Warpgale again.) I with left with 2 Reaver Units, and my Lions plus Loremaster and Archmage. Couldn't get his units to break (had Slaves to my flank,) and thought game was going down. But a Horde of Stormvemin, must cost enough to keep it to the draw.

Goal was 50/100 Battle Points. I got 47, which means my hobby target is unlikely to be completed. However 47 points is a damn sight better than I expected going into the event, and to be not near the bottom end, is a great improvement on the other events I have played. Good weekend.
Guildball - Alchemists
Blood Bowl - Lizardmen
Yay no wooden spoon for me.

I had a lot of fun. Learnt a fair bit. Although I lost most of my games I didn't lose them all.

Quick run down of my games

Game One Vs warriors of chaos Joshua Stylianou 20-0 to him

His army was almost all slannesh, multiple chariots, daemon prince, some ogres, a small unit of warriors and 3 Juggernaghts.
In the centre I managed to bait his 3 of chariots and daemon price into my wyssans/savage beasted horde in turn two and proceded to smash the chariots and bring the deamon price down to two wounds
My left flank collapsed after he fireballed off my jabbersltythe in turn two and the ghorgon along with the razorgor chariot had a stand off with the juggernaughts he magiced off the razorgor and charged the ghorgon late game running me down when I failed my stubborn Ld10 . A risky charge lost me the bestigor. I charged a unit of marauder horsemen needing an overrun of 5 to get into an ongoing combat around a building to then occupy said building and be safe from ghorbeast chariots and I rolled a 4.
The daemon prince in later rounds proceed to soul feeder back up to full and then get reduced back down to one before managing to kill my level 4. No general no BSB what’s left of my army legs it off the board on the last turn of the game.

Game Two Vs Vampire counts Adam Lake (table 52) 10-10 Draw

This was a bit of a chaff removal game he had lots of zombies, a big knight unit, lots of dogs and a terrorgist. Of note terrogist taking off Ghorgon turn one and jabber turn 3 Undecided (he rolled a 11 for his scream against the ghorgon and a 9 against the jabber).
He charged his main vampire bus into my supporting block of gor that had two wyssans on them. The vampire lord and hero did a fair few wounds but the knights didn't (I wanted to challenge out the vampire or his champion to keep more of my gor alive but opponent argued champions can't challenge and a TO also said champions couldn't checked later, champions can challenge, next time will look up in book first, as I would have won some of the later rounds through ranks)
Counter charged with my main block into his flank, my savage beasted up great bray ate most of his unit and what was left of the unit crumbled from res leaving the vampire lord on one wound. The horde was took out of combat by this ( I wanted to move things around so the horde stayed in combat as that’s what I though the rules said, opponent again argued, TO's didn't seem to know either but ruled against, had them all around the table. I'm not sure but I think the situation was covered in the tournament pack in my favour but oh well)
Couldn’t get the last wound off the vampire as my support unit had lost too many ranks to win combat in later turns. Late game it was a scramble for points. as We had been in combat from turn one only managed 5 turns.

Game Three VS Brettonia Paul whitehead (Table 46) 11-9 to him

Brettonians! 7th edition book playoffs.

This was a very fun game. A failed frenzy test in his turn one lead to his knights errant charging off unsupported. I counter charged with my horde and it just turned into a slugfest in the centre which beastmen excel at. I won a large advantage killing all his support units but a double charge from his remaining lances was enough to break my horde swinging the game back. (I forgot at lance of knights would have more ranks than my horde, if I had realised I'd have reformed ranks and been steadfast.
Once again in a running theme I got his general down to one wound and trying to get that last wound off cost me my ghorgon and jabberslythe to heroic killing blow! The ghorgon was at 9 WS4 S7 attacks and he passed all his saves!
Again combat was from turn one so we only got in 5 turns.

Game four VS Warriors Of chaos Chris appleford (Table 42) 20-0 to him

Warriors again two chimeras and a daemon prince on slannesh. Some chariots, some marauders and marauder horsemen.
I deployed mostly on the left. In an attempt to tie up his daemon prince for the game I charged him with my support unit and moved my horde up aggressively to pull his chimeras away so I could deal with them, and separate his army into small detachments. He decided to support his daemon prince which led to the chimeras wasting a turn getting into position and then charging. Unfortunately I wasn't able to take advantage as I planned as he kept on using his magic to give my horde random movement although I got into combat and cleared the chaff from around me out. My jabber once again died to fireball (this time it took four! turns) and my ghorgon took a hellcannon round to the face causing six wounds. My centigor found themselves suddenly unsupported and where unable to threaten his left anymore and being out of combat were hellcannoned off.
In the late stages of the game the daemon prince and the chimeras finished off my supporting unit and charged my horde, he kept getting 11 dice winds so I was stuck with random movement otherwise would have got out of dodge and conserved the points for my horde. I managed to hold for a while with wyssans up killing getting his daemon prince down to one wound, killing one chimera and getting the other down to one wound. I challenged with my level 4 in an attempt to keep steadfast, fluffed my attacks but survived the thunderstomps. Unfortunately the unit and a chariot couldn’t get the last wound off the last chimera so he tunderstomped away my steadfast. with my BSB dead from a severe case of directed attacks, I failed my break test and my general and what was left of the unit were rundown.
At the end I still had a razorgor chariot and some bestigor but although I had taken a hellcannon, a chimera, an exalted champion and his daemon prince all down to one wound all I had killed was two chariots some hounds and some marauder housemen.

Despite it being my not very tournamenty list against a proper warriors list I still had a lot of fun, I also learnt I need to remember that a daemon prince will have a charmed shield and to chuck something to get rid of it before you accidently irresistible amber spear at the high level (Doh!)

Game five VS SKAVEN! Rob smith 15-5 to him

I played this game with the mind-set of just having fun and pushing straight up. Rob was a brilliant opponent and I look forward to hopefully playing him again at Worcester Warhammer!

I stuck most of my army in the centre; Rob deployed his all within BSB range opposite
Turn one he irresistible dreaded 13th against my 25 gor and rolls.....4! Yes 4 sixes. 24 gor gone! A champion and a wizard are suddenly looking very scared. the wizards legs it to the ungor raiders who are suddenly a useful unit and the Campion legs it to a table corner to hide, he wasn't fast enough and was 24' away from the vermin lord next turn getting warp lighting off.
He also tried to doom rocket my horde but double wyssans means minimal damage was done.
my chariots rampage through a unit of slaves from turn two to turn three, he charges with his deathstar and I flee, over the rest of the game he manages to catch them but it pulls his BSB/general away from the rest of the army, I'm unable to capitalise on this as he keeps passing his LD rolls.
Meanwhile my horde for lack of targets charges the flack of a hellpit along with bestigor into the front. my wizard goes first, fluffs his attacks, and the hellpit gets S6 (D3 W) to all in base to base killing only two gor (double wyssans again) he then rolls a 5 to wound my general I fail my ward and he rolls a six for the number of wounds and goes to collect the spot prize for being the first person to kill the enemy general) The bestigor finish off the hellpit though.
my horde isn't really ever in a position to do anything again for the rest of the game. (In hindsight I had a possible charge in turn 4 on the vermin lord and wish I'd taken it instead of going into point’s preservation mode)
The bestigor move into his back field and start to chew up his clanrats.
The jabber uses his flying moves to go and kill the warp lighting cannon.
meanwhile the ghorgon moves up the centre and is charged by a suicidal assassin he takes 5 wounds and then tries to swallow the assassin, fails but then thunder stomps him. I charge some slaves and manage to swallow one getting 3 wounds back (Tasty slave snacks). Unfortunately his second hell pit finishes off the centigor that where tying it up and charges the ghorgon. Managing to take four wounds off him over two combat phases for a few in return. He then used the fact he had random movement to charge the jabber killing him in one turn (spurting bile blood did loads of return wounds but he passed almost all of his regen, jabber almost did well)
The bestigor who were doing well in combat against the clanrats were dreaded thirteenth twice (in turn 4 and 5) killing them all (if I had charged the vermin lord with my horde I don't think he could have cast it at them)

This was a fun game and the jabber and ghorgon did things! My opponent getting three dreaded 13th spells off irresistibly was just plain nasty as was losing my level 4 general so early on, so all in all I'm happy with the result as it could have been a lot worse.
Once again something (the last hellpit) was left with one wound that I couldn't kill despite throwing loads of stuff at it. I even got four wounds from feast of crows but he passed all his regens!

All in all I had a really good weekend with fun opponents (picking who to put as best sport was really hard) and I'm looking forward to my next tournament:-D

What would I change in my army I'm not sure, I think replacing the ghorgon and jabber with razorgor or Minotaurs and adding a beastlord would be good start. The big beasties where there to keep magic and hellcannons away from my big blocks and targeted against them while they caused some chaos. The first part of that plan worked but they die so quickly they can't do anything. Minotaurs or razorgor can look scary like the big beasties but are cheaper points and have more overall wounds!
I would also add a dispel scroll and some sort of ward to my level 2 and add a wargor to his unit. The bestigor where a surprise. I've never been able to use them well, but by game 3 I had learnt what they can and can't do, and was starting to use them better. I had some recommendations from some other players as what to put in a "hard" beastmen list so may give some different things a try. Look out for flying doombulls and slugtounge the famine fiend in the future!

my aim in this tournament was to have fun and not be last. so Whoo! Not last! :-D

Bad Dice have put out a YouTube video.

My Phoenix (along with James's) are featured, Will is pleasantly on screen, but can anybody spot Alan?

Guildball - Alchemists
Blood Bowl - Lizardmen
Video two is up

[video=youtube]http://youtu.be/nwskIKDUimo [/video]
Guildball - Alchemists
Blood Bowl - Lizardmen