Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Midlands Open list
Why nobody plays prince on moon dragon or at least anointed on phoenix?
WFB (DE) 2014...W-D-L...2-0-0
Because moon dragon is garbage. Star Dragon gets used, mainly because it's hard as nails in combat, and can't get cannoned off. S6 can be reached by quite a few armies, and S5 is quite common. However T7 is a big number, meaning most often your getting wounded on 6s.
Star Wars Legion - Rebels
Guildball - Alchemists
Blood Bowl - Lizardmen
(03-03-2014, 07:03 PM)Gareth Wrote: Because moon dragon is garbage. Star Dragon gets used, mainly because it's hard as nails in combat, and can't get cannoned off. S6 can be reached by quite a few armies, and S5 is quite common. However T7 is a big number, meaning most often your getting wounded on 6s.
Take Star dragon on next tournament then, loads of reavers, some dragon princes, phoenix, 3 RBT and support them with 2x2 level mages. You can take some chariots as well.
Don't want to paint one at the moment, so it's not going to feature in the midlands list. I intend to run everything in the book at some point, so will do in the future. Although I probably will go to Pompey Pillage which is run by a friend. That has a Best Dragon award, so it might well make the cut there (or I take a Dragon Mage and hide it all game.)
Guildball - Alchemists
Blood Bowl - Lizardmen
The only infantry i would deploy in this edition is high T and high As infantry like chaos warriors/saurus/inferal guards, light shooting units or some unbreakable or expendable cannon foder like skavenslaves, zombies or night goblins. In this edition cant see other infantry to be usefull anymore. I think its now all about mobile, high level magic users, loads of war machines and powerfull monsters. Good example, Chaos dwarf army with very resistant IG, some deadly war machines like magma cannon or iron deamon and Khadai for combat. HE on big points without dragon are fragile.
SM, PG, and WL are all better than Temple Guard, which are useless unless harbouring a Slann. Monsters are not great in 8th. They had seven versions of the game to shine, now they just get shot off the board. Infantry are safer points, when held in a big block. If I stick 400 points in a unit of 25 men, you need to kill 25 men. Stick 300 points on a dragon, it will run away from the 25 men from static combat resolution most of the time, and get shot / magiced off the table before it gets into combat normally. If your general is sat on top and a cannon hits both, it's usually 500 points for your opponent, or you have a severely under protected general running about without a mount. The most powerful spells in the game are designed to either wipe out a unit (pit/purple sun etc) or buff a unit to unbelievable levels (mind razor being the extreme.)

As for your comment on HE being fragile without a dragon, all Elves are fragile Andy. If you don't spend 500 points on a lord, you get 500 points more to spend on bodies. (Alan's T7 Elves are not fragile.)
Guildball - Alchemists
Blood Bowl - Lizardmen
SM,PG or WL will never see a combat with my army unless i want it bro, are T3 and apart from PG (ward)have got low save. Even cavarly T3 with 2+ save is nothing. You know what rules in this edition? Skullcrushers, monstrosus cavalry with many attack and high T and As, HE elite infantry is joke now.

(03-03-2014, 10:21 PM)Gareth Wrote: As for your comment on HE being fragile without a dragon, all Elves are fragile Andy. If you don't spend 500 points on a lord, you get 500 points more to spend on bodies. (Alan's T7 Elves are not fragile.)
Thrones of vines and Flesh of stones on it, i will give them my 5 DR to kill over whole game.

PS. template kill about 15 infantry low As models Smile and his T7 is still nothing against high ld if i have got mindrazor from shadow Smile
lol i play a nice army vs u andy cause i never played agasint u before so didnt want to come with a porper hard list perhaps i should of
now admittedly without massive magic support my elite infantry blocks as fragile as hell but even without it my swordmasters killed a chirmea (monster) and a chariot in their flank
and i love to see skullcrushers they are my dream (maybe cause i have always had banner of world dragon) but often take one or 2 out befroe their attacks
the only list i really struggled agasint was brettoians the other loss vs woc was a massive mistake by (proven by the fact i have a harder woc army and won)
anyway i argee magic is big but the difference is i love the buff/hex spells they are massive and help fragile units win
example i can make it so ur hitting me on 6s or im T7 etc etc all big games i have had so far involed one massive swordmaster horde no dragons or phenix and yet have done very well (trounceing dark elves, deamon, orcs and goblins and orges)
sorry i ranted but i love HE infantry (bar white lions but thats just me) and think ur seeing game in a very narrow aspect ( ie i always try different lists to get a grasp on how it works out in irl rather than theory)
The DE book is more powerful than the HE one is. However both are not to dissimilar, unlike the 7th iterations. That asside Andy sees thr game going one way, I see it going another. At the club Monsters would rule, but we don't have anyone that plays Empire, competitive Deamons, Ogres (I'll ignore Steve because well......) full on O&G, all of which would ruin a monster based army. Chuck in the new Dwarf book, and all the cannon love that's coming, they become even more fragile. But that's across everything, out club environment is far different than a tournament game, with the meta out there at the moment. That is currently being dominated by Monstrous Cav, and the one thing that deals with them are foot troops and some ranged attacks. Monsters such as a dragon don't do enough. Typical Dragon type creature suffers 3 or 4 wounds against a Skull Crusher unit, and does 1 or 2 in return. That's normally broken if not dead, then it's die to see if it gets taken away. On the other hand infantry are either tying them up (slaves, undead etc,) or hitting back. DE infantry doesn't do anything (unless it's got a MR on it,) where as WL/SM have usually killed one or two before they get to attack. PG don't kill as well (S4 is pants which is why I took the Razor Standard,) but in essence they are 2 wound infantry. The other thing to consider is base size. It's hard to get a full quantity of attacks on a unit 5 wide. That then means your wasting points on ablative wounds that do nothing in combat.

All in all though this is an interesting discussion, but seeing as it's divulged from it's intended use, can we get back on track (discussing mine, Alans and Terry's list,) rather than what you would put in an army none of us are using.
Guildball - Alchemists
Blood Bowl - Lizardmen
I killed Your whole SM unite mate and i will do it again. I have got too many points in flyers and monsters, my lightcavalry units and rxb are bait for You. I had 1 DR unit on flank of Your 250 pts of LSG unit and You make a reform to shoot them...what for??? But You had a choice go for 100 pts unit or for 75 hahaha Its funny for me mate. Catch me if You can. HE and Bretonians are the easiest opponents for me. I hate Lizards, WoCH, WE and NG.