Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Midlands Open list
Ok first design at a list for the Midlands Open.

Anointed of Asuryan: Enchanted Shield; Giant Blade. 275
Archmage: Book of Hoeth; Talisman of Preservation; Level 4 Wizard; Lore of Death. 320

Noble: Armour of Caledor; great weapon; Battle Standard. 149

5 Ellyrian Reavers: musician; spears; bows. 105
17 Archers: musician. 180

21 White Lions of Chrace: Guardian; musician; standard bearer (Banner of the World Dragon). 353
21 Phoenix Guard: Keeper of the Flame; musician; standard bearer (Razor Standard). 390

Frostheart Phoenix 240
Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower 70

2,397 points

Death magic seems to be dominating at the moment, and the concept is to have two units with a 2+ward against Death. At the same time, I get to sling my own stuff about. The White Lions can fight all right, and the Phoenix Guard take the characters, and hope to mop up. General gives up 1ld over a Prince, but gets his attacks at S7 with a 3+armour and 4+ward! to keep him alive. BSB is a tad squishy but gets a 2+armour and 6+ward. However unlike whilst running the Dragon Prince bus, which relied on the characters doing the damage, the White Lions do most of it, with at least S4 from the PG and -2armour save granted from the banner.
Star Wars Legion - Rebels
Guildball - Alchemists
Blood Bowl - Lizardmen
i perfer this list over the previous one since it has more meat to it that said i have some issues with it
if phoenix guard the defensive choice (due to the 4+ ward) and sword masters the offensive choice (2 attacks WS6) white lions are the middle of the road with s6 they hit harder but have less attacks will on alot of the time be hitting on 4s and only harder to kill over swordmasters when it comes to shooting (3+save vs it) this maybe a personal perference but i find sowrdmasters to be surpoier to white lions
the only other thing i would change is swapping out the achers and one unit of reavers for lothern sea guard since i found my acher units would get pick off easliy and it provides you with a 3rd combate unit of ground troops that while may no win in combate will hold up units that would otherwise threaten ur flanks the added bonus being that this change helps u vs vampire counts where shooting is almost pointless
but this is a much stronger list than the last
Alan it's your preference, but everyone except you rank the three foot specials as WL>PG>SM. One they get into combat largely unmolested, with only Magic deaths getting them normally. Now that's neutralised. Secondly they are Stubborn. That one rule, tends to add about 2 points per model. To be honest the more I think about it, the more I want to increase the size. Perhaps dropping the Bolt Thrower, but then I have noting really to kill any monsters.

As for Sea Guard they are garbage. Well not really garbage, but your paying a premium for an armour save you rarely get. The reduction in range on Bows, more or less negates the minimal damage your extra rank does. If anyone gets into either unit, it's probably dead, and the reduction in points makes it not too expensive to have die. Besides if a combat unit gets into them or Sea Guard, they are past the two main units. I would rather have the rangeland have them at the back.

To be honest I'm more tempted to drop the Annointed, and see if it can shave points for something similar.
Guildball - Alchemists
Blood Bowl - Lizardmen
well okay
the list im trying out
is archmage
bsb
25 lothern seaguard
25 lothern seaguard
24 pheninx guard
24 sword masters (banner of world)
2 frostheart pheanix
bolt thrower
Alan what's the Archmage doing, and carrying? Obviously I think there are units in your list I would switch, and vise-versa, but would be interesting. You have a knack at oddball ideas, that seem to work, so looking forward to Tuesday.
Guildball - Alchemists
Blood Bowl - Lizardmen
archmage is 4+ward and channel staff not sure wheather lore of shadow/death yet
bsb has great weapon and 4+ ward
the idea is that the list is durable with no units that can be easily pick off the seaguard while would breack vs elite infantry with 4-5ranks (which i didnt see a great deal of at the tounry) can hold up for a turn or 2 thus be surpoted by my heavir elements im not sure about phenix guard and weather they hit hard enough so trying them out
ive cut right back on magic since when i invested in it my whole plan hinge on winds of magic in 1 or 2 critical turns of the game
PG don't kill much, but have a good tar-pit ability, due to the Ward. S4 isn't great, and it doesn't do enough against armour. That's why I took a Razor Standard, they at least hit a -2 armour. BB5 was quite a weak field, and from the interest showing for Midlands it doesn't seem much different. BB5 comp was easy on Ogres, so a lot of players pulled them out again. MO seems to be not to dissimilar to ETC, which is quite tough. If the Monsterous Cavalry take a big hit across the board, PG might get away with being a very good unit, that does damage.
Guildball - Alchemists
Blood Bowl - Lizardmen
when u talk of oddball ideas heres one im gonna use in friendly game somtime
alith anar
prince with 4+ward GW and shadow armour
noble with GW dragon armour and moranion's wayward
mage level2 mount scoll
mage levl2 mount dispell rod
30spearmen FC ambush
5 reavers bow
5 reavers bow
5 reavers bow
5 silver helms FC shields
10 shadow warriors
10shadow warriors
2 frost heart pheanix
2 bolt throwers
Not too bad. I was looking at 30 archers and the wayshard, popping behind the lines. Pew pew, I'm behind you Wink
Guildball - Alchemists
Blood Bowl - Lizardmen
Good discussion!
History is written by the victors - Sir Winston Churchill