Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SAGA 4pt tournie evening
Justin made the splendid suggestion of a SAGA tournie evening one week. We should be able to squeeze in 3 "Clash of Warlords" 4pt games without too much trouble I think.

Who'd be interested in this?

Rules Shizzle

This event will take place on Tuesday 1st July and will be very straightforward with the emphasis on quick, bloodthirsty and above all "fun" encounters.

The Games

The evening will consist of 3 x 4pt Clash of Warlord games for each player. Each game will last a maximum of 45 minutes or 5 turns. The final turn may start and run to completion if there are 5 minutes or more left in the encounter.

First round opponents will be drawn at random with the subsequent rounds drawn according to a Swiss-system based on performance so far.

For each game each player rolls a D6 to see who starts deployment (in case of a draw the player with the most impressive facial hair wins, or failing that roll again). We'll call the winner PLAYER 1 for now:

PLAYER 1: deploys Warlord within L of a long table edge of his choice.
PLAYER 2: deploys Warlord within L of the opposing table edge followed by all his Levies, again within L of that table edge.
PLAYER 1: deploys all his Levies and then all his Warrior units within L of his table edge.
PLAYER 2: deploys all his Warriors and then all his Hearthguard units within L of his table edge.
PLAYER 1: deploys all his Hearthguard units within L of the opposing table edge.

Each player then rolls another D6 to see who starts. Second player gets to roll and place 3 SAGA on their board during their opponents first turn. All these dice are discarded after that turn.

Tables & Scenery

Tables and scenery will be laid out in advance. Don't mess with 'em!

4' x 3' boards will be provided so we don't have to adjust for initial placement based on the standard club 4' x 4' boards.

Victory Conditions

The primary objective of each game is to slay the opponents Warlord with aplomb, or failing that sheer blind luck.

A player that kills the enemy Warlord (without having his taken out in the same action) gets 3 VP’s and his opponent gets 0 VP’s. Otherwise (if both warlords die together or neither have been killed) the player with the most kill points (calculated below) for that game gets 2 VP’s and his opponent gets 1 VP.

Every single Hearthguard killed is one Kill Point (rounded up).
Every two Warriors killed is one Kill Point (rounded up).
Every three Levies killed is one Kill Point (rounded up).

Kill Points will be used as a tie-breaker to determine overall event placement should there be a tie on Victory Points at the end of the evening.

Warbands

Each participant can bring along a 5pt roster of troops from the factions listed below (no mercenaries, banners or characters permitted) from which they can field 4pts in any one game. Each roster will be declared on the night prior to games commencing.

Factions permitted are any of those from the core rulebook or the Northern Fury, Raven's Shadow or the Varjazi & Basileus supplements. For reference the full list of qualifying factions is:
  • Anglo Danish
  • Anglo Saxons
  • Bretons
  • Byzantines
  • Franks
  • Irish
  • Jomsvikings
  • Normans
  • Norse-Gaels
  • Pagan-Rus
  • Rus-Princes
  • Scots
  • Steppe Tribes
  • Strathclyde
  • Vikings
  • Welsh
Figures painted in 2016: 4 Blush
"What this game needs is a panda with a chaingun."
(12-02-2014, 04:54 PM)Stuart Wrote: Justin made the splendid suggestion of a SAGA tournie evening one week. We should be able to squeeze in 3 "Clash of Warlords" 4pt games without too much trouble I think.

Who'd be interested in this?

Yes.
History is written by the victors - Sir Winston Churchill
I would be interested. I would, however, need to learn how to play first and purchase a warband.
40k - Orks
I'd be interested as well in a month or two once I've had a chance to learn the rules!
40K - Dark Angels, Dark Eldar, Necrons; Lord of the Rings - lots; Bloodbowl - Dwarves, Wood Elves; SAGA - Anglo Danes & Welsh; Guildball - Morticians, Engineers; Dropzone/fleet - Shaltari
(12-02-2014, 09:24 PM)nothin_but_the_rain Wrote: I would be interested. I would, however, need to learn how to play first and purchase a warband.

(12-02-2014, 11:57 PM)jaqenhgar Wrote: I'd be interested as well in a month or two once I've had a chance to learn the rules!

Happy to take you both through an intro game whenever you fancy it.
I'd be up for this, but I'm now back on shifts, so can only make every other week !
Flames of War- Irish Guards    Bloodbowl- Orcs, Humans
Cutlass- Teddy Bear Pirates     Warhammer- Bretonnia, Ogres
6mm WW2- XXX Corps            28mm WW2- Rules of Engagement, Bolt Action, Chain of Command
28mm Zulu War- Still painting !!  SAGA Normans, Saracens
Bolt Action - German and British Infantry
Malifaux - Gremlins
Guildball - Butchers,Hunters, Farmers
There looks to be enough interest in this to make it viable so I'll press ahead and get it arranged. How does Tuesday 1st July sound for this?

So far there's:
Paul
Justin
Dan
Chris
Steve
Myself (will stand in should there be an odd number).

I'd like to keep this initial event very straightforward with the emphasis on quick, bloodthirsty and above all "fun" encounters, so the evening will consist of 3 x 4pt Clash of Warlord fixtures for each player, each lasting a maximum of 45 minutes or 5 (maybe 6) turns.

Each participant can bring along a 5pt roster of troops from a faction of their choosing (no mercenaries, banners or characters permitted) from which they can field 4pts in any one game.

Factions permitted are any of those from the core rulebook or the Northern Fury, Raven's Shadow or the Varjazi & Basileus supplements. For reference the full list of qualifying factions is:
  • Anglo Danish
  • Anglo Saxons
  • Bretons
  • Byzantines
  • Franks
  • Irish
  • Jomsvikings
  • Normans
  • Norse-Gaels
  • Pagan-Rus
  • Rus-Princes
  • Scots
  • Steppe Tribes
  • Strathclyde
  • Vikings
  • Welsh

A few things still to work out (scoring system, etc.) and I've undoubtedly missed something so please ask questions or make constructive suggestions.
#wave
Star Wars Legion - Rebels
Guildball - Alchemists
Blood Bowl - Lizardmen
Excellent. John - are you up for this too?
I think I am actually free that week !!
Flames of War- Irish Guards    Bloodbowl- Orcs, Humans
Cutlass- Teddy Bear Pirates     Warhammer- Bretonnia, Ogres
6mm WW2- XXX Corps            28mm WW2- Rules of Engagement, Bolt Action, Chain of Command
28mm Zulu War- Still painting !!  SAGA Normans, Saracens
Bolt Action - German and British Infantry
Malifaux - Gremlins
Guildball - Butchers,Hunters, Farmers