Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RedWarSoc Tournament (Maybe)
Depending on Robs choice i know a few guys from a club in Rugby that might play! Could also invite the good the bad and the Dudley :p gaz and ryland might turn up!
I would be worried about expanding it further on the first event :p would rather keep it smaller in house for the first one to test the waters, terrain etc, then if that's a success later on in the year I will organise another event a try to get say 20 people involved.

Will try to get a date sorted asap I don't think the 5th of April is good for me )wifes birthday on the 4th) so might have to be weekend before/after...

Thats fair enough dude Smile ive always wondered how difficult it would be to run a tournament! Seems to some good money made lol 60 players at £25 is £1500, minus £200ish for prizes etc and then just the cost of renting somewhere! Ohh and food!!
Problem you have with going to large, is storage costs, ontop of hall rental. I havnt been to a full scale event which has used boards cut like ours. So you need room for 60+ 6x4 boards, plus terrain for said boards. Then you'll have whatever transport costs, when it comes to taking said boards and terrain to event, which will probably set you back a few hundred (I'm assuming that no one has a decent sized box van.)

It's not unfeasable, but you do need to consider other things than costs you will experience on the day. And if your building terrain, given how well we do with donations, I would start now.
Star Wars Legion - Rebels
Guildball - Alchemists
Blood Bowl - Lizardmen
Well yeah, I guess the boards and scenery would set you back a handsome sum initially although once you have them it would save cost for future events (assuming the 1st was reasonably successful). Would take a lot of planning to run something reasonably large scale which means committing a lot of time. A lot of events usually take more than one person to set up and run too!
Definitely start small and work up. Try organising a tournament at our current location first with a cap of around 20 players. You won't need to charge too much per head as we already have the boards, we'll just need to up the terrain first so every table can look good.
Warmachine (Retribution of Scyrah, Khador), Hordes (Trollbloods, Blindwater Congregation), Bolt Action (IJA Infantry Section, Soviet Russia Armoured Platoon), SAGA (Norse-Gaels (WIP)), Deadzone (Enforcers, Forge Fathers)
(23-01-2014, 11:35 PM)Etched Oracle Wrote: Definitely start small and work up. Try organising a tournament at our current location first with a cap of around 20 players. You won't need to charge too much per head as we already have the boards, we'll just need to up the terrain first so every table can look good.

Reason I mention boards, is that quite a few people I know (outside of our club) get frustrated with board nudge. It was something I didn't like when I did my 4 for my Malifaux event, where boards get knocked, boards shift, models move, and placement becomes a little pointless. I can get a 2x4 into my attic. The same size at the club, means that we can store them easily.

If you invest in 6x4, which might be something that attendees prefer, you are then looking at external storage, it being someones garage, a rental unit, or whatever, but where we currently store boards, wouldn't be big enough (even if we had the same number of boards, just bigger,) and I doubt the council would be happy with us storing everything upstairs.

Just a quick google of the area, shows up Astwood Storage, which offer storage from £16 a week. No idea on size, but if thats a reasonable price you are at over £800 per year. Now if the club gets into tournament running, you need to look at multiple events, and the costs obviously get dispersed, but I would be wary of saying 60 folks £25 each, look how much we can make.

I would echo starting small, but if your long intentions are to expand, and I certainly would be happy to assist in doing so, running such an event, requires very careful planning.
Star Wars Legion - Rebels
Guildball - Alchemists
Blood Bowl - Lizardmen
Could there be a joinery solution to connecting the 2' boards together more securely, perhaps slotting the boards into some sort of frame beneath? No idea really, just throwing it out there.
Figures painted in 2016: 4 Blush
"What this game needs is a panda with a chaingun."
(23-01-2014, 05:01 PM)Nick1988 Wrote: Thats fair enough dude Smile ive always wondered how difficult it would be to run a tournament! Seems to some good money made lol 60 players at £25 is £1500, minus £200ish for prizes etc and then just the cost of renting somewhere! Ohh and food!!

There is money to be made that for sure, I bet Tim and Harry rake it in! Tongue

(23-01-2014, 05:42 PM)Gareth Wrote: Problem you have with going to large, is storage costs, ontop of hall rental. I havnt been to a full scale event which has used boards cut like ours. So you need room for 60+ 6x4 boards, plus terrain for said boards. Then you'll have whatever transport costs, when it comes to taking said boards and terrain to event, which will probably set you back a few hundred (I'm assuming that no one has a decent sized box van.)

It's not unfeasable, but you do need to consider other things than costs you will experience on the day. And if your building terrain, given how well we do with donations, I would start now.

(23-01-2014, 06:52 PM)Nick1988 Wrote: Well yeah, I guess the boards and scenery would set you back a handsome sum initially although once you have them it would save cost for future events (assuming the 1st was reasonably successful). Would take a lot of planning to run something reasonably large scale which means committing a lot of time. A lot of events usually take more than one person to set up and run too!

Storage might not be sooo bad, just depends on who has a garage/shed with space :p, I know Harry stores all his at his mum n dads.

Terrain, yeah that will take a looooong time to sort, especially to a decent standard.

(23-01-2014, 11:35 PM)Etched Oracle Wrote: Definitely start small and work up. Try organising a tournament at our current location first with a cap of around 20 players. You won't need to charge too much per head as we already have the boards, we'll just need to up the terrain first so every table can look good.

I was thinking 8-10 to start with, just to test the terrain we have at the club and to actually get experienced enough to run an event, even Tim a seasoned pro and runs the biggest and arguably the best 40k events ran a small test event before Cale this year, he was aiming for 10-15people at most, but 40 turned up lol.

(24-01-2014, 12:50 AM)Gareth Wrote:

Reason I mention boards, is that quite a few people I know (outside of our club) get frustrated with board nudge. It was something I didn't like when I did my 4 for my Malifaux event, where boards get knocked, boards shift, models move, and placement becomes a little pointless. I can get a 2x4 into my attic. The same size at the club, means that we can store them easily.

If you invest in 6x4, which might be something that attendees prefer, you are then looking at external storage, it being someones garage, a rental unit, or whatever, but where we currently store boards, wouldn't be big enough (even if we had the same number of boards, just bigger,) and I doubt the council would be happy with us storing everything upstairs.

Just a quick google of the area, shows up Astwood Storage, which offer storage from £16 a week. No idea on size, but if thats a reasonable price you are at over £800 per year. Now if the club gets into tournament running, you need to look at multiple events, and the costs obviously get dispersed, but I would be wary of saying 60 folks £25 each, look how much we can make.

I would echo starting small, but if your long intentions are to expand, and I certainly would be happy to assist in doing so, running such an event, requires very careful planning.

I think a bit of tape on the underside/sides will stop any table nudges.

At £16 p/w thats a lot of events just to cover costs, it would probably be worth just all chipping in to purchase a shed/storage box or two that is dry enough to store the boxes and boards.

Basically year1 would be zero profit and all hard work and most likely a loss to all involved.

Year2 basically all profit bar hall hire and food costs, a man with a van is £25 in the advertiser, we got one to collect a ebay win about 6months ago, I suppose we could that from storage to location on say a friday night and then sunday aftertoon from location to storage.