Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WHFB Campaign? FAQs page 4
I'm up for joining in on this Smile
40k - Dark Eldar /// Fantasy - Warriors of Chaos
(06-01-2014, 07:02 PM)Agincourt Wrote:
(05-01-2014, 10:24 PM)Etched Oracle Wrote: I may be interested in taking part if the games are being limited to 1750 points as that should be a comfrotable amount to play a game in 1 evening.

Hi Simon,

Yup, 1750 is the plan for this one to ensure time for a completed battle. I am assuming one battle a month. We can learn from experience, add a final all-day Armageddon, as we go if required... Smile

Is that the starting force size Paul?

Although I have Lizards and are currently painting High Elves, I'm tempted to use Deamons. I just don't have them yet (or what I do, built.)
Star Wars Legion - Rebels
Guildball - Alchemists
Blood Bowl - Lizardmen
1750, and one battle per month will be fine for me. i should be all moved by end of Jan. and i can breakout the unpainted dwarfs to use.
Simian aka Ben
Interests
40k Death Guard, Nurgle and Space Wolves, Malifaux (Guild, Gremlins & Ressers), In Her Majesties Name (Professor Berengei's Circus), Bolt Action (Big Red One), Dredd (Robots), OGaM, Necromunda (Redemptionists)

Hooting into the Abyss
Cool - I am working through and amending format etc to suit smaller armies.
Not quite got through all the what-if campaign maths yet... but I am going to try and work around a 1500 point army being 'standard army' which leaves expansion for bonus units of an extra 250 points to the 1750.

My current plan is we will kick off last Tuesday in Jan.

We will roll for our territories, fill data sheets in, etc (probably take about an hour) then I suggest our first set of battles is a skirmish of about 1000 points so we can fit it all in that night. Then Feb will be 1500 points +/- bonus / losses, etc...

Anyway will be posting the blurb soon...
History is written by the victors - Sir Winston Churchill
Id certainly be up for the idea of a campaign over a tournament, and my daemon army certainly needs to be used more often. now christmas is over work has died off enough i can think about coming back to the club and battling too :-)
No you are right I dont need any more models......but it's so shiney

40K & WFB - Chaos daemons, BFG - Imperial, Warmachine - Cygnar,Retribution and Skorne. Blood Bowl - Chaos,dwarves,humans.
Paul had a quick looksie at your Warlords. I take it we are running without lords, and only promotion to that status is possible. As for the rest of the force is it fluid, or are we writing an army list to stick too?
Guildball - Alchemists
Blood Bowl - Lizardmen
Ok spent more money and have enough for a very small 1k army. At least gets me playing. Daemons it is.
Guildball - Alchemists
Blood Bowl - Lizardmen
Hi folks,

Right, we will kick-off on Tuesday.

Don’t be put off by the rules. All will become clear…

First you will establish your campaign territories, capital + 4 random tiles.

For Tuesday you need an army list based on standard rules for army composition total 1,500 points.

Your army will evolve through the campaign, i.e. you can change its composition from turn to turn, some units will gain and lose abilities after each battle.

Events may see you gain re-enforcements, but the maximum size your army can grow to is 1,750 points.

25% of your 1,500 point army can be made up from allies per main rule book.

Initial restrictions. You can have a total of two units chosen from Heroes and Special, i.e. 2 x Heroes, or 2 x Specials, or 1 of each, (or just one or none of the above).

You start with a maximum of 2 magic items.

Now, in the first game you need to split your force in to two. An attacking force of 900 points and a defending force of 600 points. You can ignore % splits for this…

(If you only have 1000 points of figures (Gaz) then with some creative thinking you can still cover a 1500 point army given that only 900 or 600 will be in use...)

You will nominate one of your territories to go with each force attacking and defending. This is what's at stake win or lose.

You will all roll for initiative and the Lord (or ruling Hero) with highest initiative will choose whether he wants to attack or defend, and will choose his opponent (8 players).

This choice goes down the initiative pecking order until 4 battles are paired up.

Each table will be 4 x 4. On one half there will be six buildings (a village) randomly positioned, one in each of six of the eight 1 x 1 foot squares.
The defending side starts anywhere in the village half. The attacking side starts a minimum of 12” away. One random house in the village contains a vortex that teleports to ‘The Isle of the Dragon’. Objective is to get your units to enter the house and teleport them. Max of 1 per turn. A defender with 6 units could start the game with one unit entering every house in turn one and automatically find it… then race his other units across. Attackers may need to divide and conquer… or…???

Army with most teleported units in 6 turns wins. A draw is a draw...
Note: Not all units can enter buildings as per the normal rules.

After Turn 6, every unit that is teleported will be on the 'The Isle' and something may or may not happen to it, they may find something, they may fight something, it's a surprise...

That’s all you need to know in advance…
Ok Paul, few questions. 1st one repeated from the weekly thread.

Are we restricted on number of Lords and / or Rare?

You said that armies evolve. Does that mean we write an initial list, and then it varies from that, or do we more or less get to pick a fresh army each campaign round?

I'm mainly asking as Today I have been building a rare unit, and I wasn't expecting to be able to take a Lord, but did expect to be able to include rares. Secondly I can always pick up some more models, but again need to know in what way. I need extras because of the Deamonic Table, and could go one unit of each Core, but `I wasn't looking at the 1500/1750 list until need month. If I am stuck with the core of what I take this week, I need to look further in advance, particularly if I am going to have to duplicate units, (i.e. Bloodletters* in Attack, Bloodletters* in Defence, combined army now has two units of Bloodletters*, which it might not have to start.)

*Don't expect Bloodletters Tongue

Further question, what happens with mounted units / chariots / monsters that cannot enter a building?
Guildball - Alchemists
Blood Bowl - Lizardmen
FAQs !!!

Q - Paul you have restricted the number of Heroes and Specials. Are we restricted in anyway with regards to Lords and Rare?
A - All your army compositions (except where exceptions are stated per turn) must still comply to:

Lords, upto 25%
Heros, upto 25%
Core, minimim 25%
Specials, upto 50%
Rare, upto 25%

The initial restriction is only on number of units, not their points. So you could still have 75% of your initial 1500 point army made from Heroes and Specials, however, their combined 1075 points could only be fielded as two units. So if High Elves want a 750 point unit of Swordmasters plus a Loremaster of Heoth (330) with some 45 point magic armour (total 375), they can.

In Round 2, you can spend some GOLD, and buy army upgrades to increase the number of heroes and specials units.

Q. You said that armies evolve. Does that mean we write an initial list, and then it varies from that, or do we more or less get to pick a fresh army each campaign round?

A. At end of each battle the losing (or drawn) sides can choose one unit to have a veteran upgrade. The winning side can have 2 upgrades. A random roll on a table, they may gain +1 toughness. This then stays with that unit. Ideally units will have names like, e.g. Skullspliters Swordmasters, and it starts with lets say 20 figs. That identified unit, can be maintained throughout the campagn, but it can't go from 20 figs one week to 40 figs the next. Otherwise you can pick a fresh army-ish.

Q. What happens with mounted units / chariots / monsters that cannot enter a building?

A. Tactically they might be better utilised to prevent the enemy gaining access to the teleoprt building. In other scenarios if there is a teleport point it might be on top of a hill and anyone can go through them. But in this case it is an added headache for you as a General to consider. I will write a brief background to the storyline...

Q. Ok if units persist does this mean random rewards will stay the same or be rerolled each game? Daemons can buy gifts as magic items which is a roll on a table so would this stay the same each battle normally or only if they get 'upgraded' at the end of the a battle ?

A. The rewards are gained after the battle and stay with that specific unit for rest of campaign. One unit can gain a maximum of three bonuses. (They can also lose them if they are defeated in battle!). In certain armies, e.g. Chaos Warriors, where Heroes et all can gain bonuses during a battle, they too will keep their bonus through the campaign. When they get to stage where they transmogrify into some higher form then will do so at whatever stage in the campaign they are at. Heroes et al can have a maximum of 4 such bonuses running. (By the by - Heroes et al have to have identifying names. e.g. Boris the Chaotic, etc... On Daemons (I don't have their codex) if as you state a gift is classed as a magic item (similar to a dwarf rune is cast on an item and that item becomes a magic item) then yes it is a permanent thing. You would not have to pay the points again in the next game. However, these non-magic item magic items are still limited to 2 for the first game. You can spend GOLD SPICE to buy more 'slots' after game 1. Races like Daemons for after the battle upgrades use their special tables and again max out at 4 and eventually grow into some horrible nasty daemon lord or something... All these extras come at no extra point cost.

Q. Do we need to declare a specific Lord at some point? One guy you must take as your general? Or is the player the Lord and sends different generals as req'd?

A. Every force requires a Lord or Hero as its Expeditionary Force Leader. That Leader represents you the player. You do not have to field him/her in battle. You have to pay GOLD SPICE upkeep for him every campaign turn or he can't be fielded that turn. If your Leader is a mage of level 3+, then instead of fielding him in battle you can wield these Winds of Magic to do a mighty spell, roll 2d6 on table. Various results mostly good but some bad (or deadly)! You may gain a bonus Lord at some stage...

Q. Presumably then (Scenario 1), there can only be one BSB across the 2 forces. If only 2 characters are taken, and 1 is a BSB, does this mean one of the forces cannot have a general? Or is the usual rule regarding BSB not being a general lifted?

A. Just 1 BSB and in this campaign he CAN be the 'General'. Further in this campaign, where scenarios are such that no Lord or Hero is available in an army, then a unit champion with highest leadership will gain temporary title of Captain and lead the battle.

Q - Also, regarding the 2 magic items you can take. If I choose not to take any items at all, are my characters locked into having no magic items until I find / earn them?

A - Magic Items and Army Composition. In terms of what can go between home world and the Sand World, you start off with 2 magic item slots available (This is all the magic your wizardly folk have so far been able to send through the void.) However, as you gain GOLD you can buy additional slots, representing a 'break-through'. This is also true for number of special units, heros, etc.

Magic Items found locally (and some allies) are purely bonus and do not affect your 1500 point and/or slots limits.

In theory, you can send units home from the front and replace them with fresh units. This is also possible for Home-World magic items.
However, it's not that simple. Assuming you have a full 1500 point compliment, then you have to send 'stuff' home, leaving a 'hole', then send stuff back out from home. There is always a chance stuff doesn't go, or is delayed in transit, and then the same applies to replacement stuff coming back the other way. This is a unit by unit and magic item by magic item roll, basically roll a d11-66, 11-13 means it is delayed in transit (until after next battle), 14-16, means it doesn't go at all. If you wanted to send a 100 point unit of archers home and replace them with 2 x magic items worth 100 points, three rolls are required.

Losses on the battlefield may not equal deaths. After a battle, units that take losses are rolled for. Basically on or off the field if they have zero models left roll a d6, on a 1-2 they are unsavable and their value is now available to be replaced from home world or local allies. Units that fall below 50%, roll d6, on 4-6 they recoup in time for next battle, on 1-3 they are unable to recoup in time for next battle and cannot be fielded (they are 100% OK for battle after that). Half units still count as full original unit point value. So you may want to try to send half units home, etc.

All the chopping and changing can be done with me during the weeks between games.

On battle nights (after the first) once you know what you are doing and who it's against you can pay GOLD for one emergency transport both ways (risk still applies).