Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chaos warriors & Halberds
General question.. I see alot of Chaos Warriors taking Halberds & shields but in the rulebook it states a Halberd is a 2 handed weapon but then in the Codex it doesn't mention anywhere that if Halberds are taken then you can't take a shield.

Can anyone clarify this for me?

Sorry if it sounds a bit garbled, lol..
40k - Dark Eldar /// Fantasy - Warriors of Chaos
(07-09-2013, 04:19 PM)CheZZoR Wrote: General question.. I see alot of Chaos Warriors taking Halberds & shields but in the rulebook it states a Halberd is a 2 handed weapon but then in the Codex it doesn't mention anywhere that if Halberds are taken then you can't take a shield.

Can anyone clarify this for me?

Sorry if it sounds a bit garbled, lol..

first thing that comes to mind is that you take both so you have the option of using the halberd for strength, or use the hand weapon and shield for a better save and parry save against strength 6/7
40K: Orks and Chaos Space Marines

standard deffwing tactic: rush fast and hit like a runaway freight train with a rocket booster on the last carriage...
remember kids, never trust an ork who shows his teeth
The Shield is used against Shooting attacks to increase the Armour Save but once you're in combat as per the Weapons rules, the models will use their 'best weapon' upon which they'll switch to using the Halberds.

So the Shield is vs. Shooting whilst marching up.
Halberd is for once the unit is in combat.

Hope this clears it up for you.
Warmachine (Retribution of Scyrah, Khador), Hordes (Trollbloods, Blindwater Congregation), Bolt Action (IJA Infantry Section, Soviet Russia Armoured Platoon), SAGA (Norse-Gaels (WIP)), Deadzone (Enforcers, Forge Fathers)
(07-09-2013, 04:37 PM)Etched Oracle Wrote: The Shield is used against Shooting attacks to increase the Armour Save but once you're in combat as per the Weapons rules, the models will use their 'best weapon' upon which they'll switch to using the Halberds.

So the Shield is vs. Shooting whilst marching up.
Halberd is for once the unit is in combat.

Hope this clears it up for you.

Simon is correct. Shields and Chaos Armour grant you a 3+ save against shooting, but the Halberds mean your reduced to 4+ in combat. They are really useful on Chaos Warriors, as you want to get as many into combat as possible, and against most bonfire, or stone thrower non-direct hits, higher T and the extra pip of save means they get there.

The reason you'll see an awful amount of Halberd wielders is because of enemy armour saves. It's not so prevalent in the club, but many other clubs / tournaments are populated by Demigriffs (1+) Skull Crushers (1+) Steam Tanks (1+) Mournfangs (2+) etc. The extra Str, mean you find it easier to wound and the saves happen less, without losing the benefit of a high I, that a great weapon would cause.

@Sam - As Simon pointed out, once you have a model not equipped with only Hand Weapon, that must be used. If you have a choice (I.e. Great Weapon, and Two Hand weapons,) you can choose, but get locked into that choice for the entire duration of the combat. That choice effects the entire unit (characters excluded.) Magic Weapons must always be chosen over any other 'special weapons.' As is often the case, there is an exception to the rule, and that comes in the form of Black Orcs, who can use HW, 2HW or GW for the duration of a combat, giving them the option of using a HW over special weapons (if you were crazy.)
Star Wars Legion - Rebels
Guildball - Alchemists
Blood Bowl - Lizardmen
Ah I see. I thought you would have to choose one or the other so to speak. Like in 40k if you armed your warrior with a heavy weapon he couldn't switch to an assault weapon while on the move etc. Hope you understand what I mean.. It's difficult to explain what i'm thinking >_<

Thanks for clarifying though.

Edit: And i'm annoyed, as if the miniatures weren't expensive enough you don't even get the Halberd upgrades in the box of warriors, you have to buy them seperate at £9 for 10... Means it's gonna cost me an extra £27 to arm my 24 warriors..
40k - Dark Eldar /// Fantasy - Warriors of Chaos
(07-09-2013, 06:56 PM)CheZZoR Wrote: Edit: And i'm annoyed, as if the miniatures weren't expensive enough you don't even get the Halberd upgrades in the box of warriors, you have to buy them seperate at £9 for 10... Means it's gonna cost me an extra £27 to arm my 24 warriors..

Yeah, it blows! I was just looking at doing this.... Sad
Dropfleet Commander: UCM
Dropzone Commander: UCM
Star Wars X-Wing: Rebel Alliance
Magic the Gathering
LotR SBG: High Elves
Warhammer 40,000 7th ed.: Astra Militarum & Eldar
Halo Fleet Battles: Covenant
BFG: Imperial Navy & Eldar Corsairs
Warhammer Fantasy 8th ed.: Warriors of Chaos

Element Games referral code JAS173.
(02-05-2014, 07:55 PM)jjakaalbinoboy Wrote:
(07-09-2013, 06:56 PM)CheZZoR Wrote: Edit: And i'm annoyed, as if the miniatures weren't expensive enough you don't even get the Halberd upgrades in the box of warriors, you have to buy them seperate at £9 for 10... Means it's gonna cost me an extra £27 to arm my 24 warriors..

Yeah, it blows! I was just looking at doing this.... Sad

Do you get axes in the box at all? Just thinking you could get some plastic / brass rod, drill and convert.
Star Wars Legion - Rebels
Guildball - Alchemists
Blood Bowl - Lizardmen