Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Club Case Study for GW
Bek Hawkby, the community coordinator for Games Workshop, is seeking case studies for clubs within the GCN.

Quote:I will be re writing the Club Toolkit – a guide which explains how to set up and run clubs. It has practical advice on the factors that need to be considered when setting up a gaming club. As part of this guide I like to have case studies of clubs for people to read and be inspired by.

I am asking GCN clubs if you can write me a case study. I will need the case study by 1st September 2013. It really helps others to take the plunge and start a club if they have read about how other people did it.

The length of the case study should be around 800 -1000 words.

The text should be about how the club formed, how long it has been running. The main body of the text should focus on what the club does Games Workshop hobby wise – what cool armies are people collecting, what projects has the club got planned and what happens on a normal club meeting. The final part should talk about why running a club is great and your top tips for anyone wanting to set one up.

The general tone of the article needs to be upbeat and positive and keep it light and conversational as if you were talking to someone who wanted to join the club.

We need photographs for articles and packs. The images need to be good quality photos of people enjoying the hobby. This means good clear and well lit shots of your club members playing Games Workshop games (it does not have to be huge special games) and painting or modelling. If you take photos of any club members under 18 remember that you will need to have photographic permission forms for them before we can use their pictures. (I can send these out to any club who needs them)

It is best to send as many photos as you can so that we can select the best ones for the packs.

Make sure that the club name and the name of the person who wrote the article are passed along to me as well.

I'll throw some words together accordingly, but may need some input from the 40K and Fantasy players on the specifics of forces currently being fielded. If you have any events planned (40K league, etc.) then let me know and I'll include those.

If anyone is willing to have their photo taken in the throws of dice rolling nirvana then please make yourselves known. I will always seek the permission of anyone in a given photo before submitting it.
Figures painted in 2016: 4 Blush
"What this game needs is a panda with a chaingun."
Nice bit of free advertising there then!
Dropfleet Commander: UCM
Dropzone Commander: UCM
Star Wars X-Wing: Rebel Alliance
Magic the Gathering
LotR SBG: High Elves
Warhammer 40,000 7th ed.: Astra Militarum & Eldar
Halo Fleet Battles: Covenant
BFG: Imperial Navy & Eldar Corsairs
Warhammer Fantasy 8th ed.: Warriors of Chaos

Element Games referral code JAS173.
Can we touch them up for a bit of prize support for the various Warhammer Fantasy / 40K leagues we have been running?

Also what is GSN?
GCN is the Gaming Club Network Rob.

No chance with prize support either i think, not something they are interested in anymore.
40k- Space marines(5000 pts) Imperial guard (3000 pts) Tau (3000 pts)
Epic 40k-Space marines/Imperial Guard(2000 pts)
Infinity Yu jing (Aprox 1000 pts)
Necromunda Escher Mad capsules Avalanche
Blood bowl Skaven
(19-08-2013, 11:15 AM)Stuart Wrote: I'll throw some words together accordingly, but may need some input from the 40K and Fantasy players on the specifics of forces currently being fielded. If you have any events planned (40K league, etc.) then let me know and I'll include those.

If anyone is willing to have their photo taken in the throws of dice rolling nirvana then please make yourselves known. I will always seek the permission of anyone in a given photo before submitting it.

I think part of our success has been our location. Nearest weekly meeting clubs to ourselfs are in Dudley and Sutton, which involve quite a travel commitment on a huge majority of our attendees.

The next major thing is that there is plenty to take part in. Started with Simons WM/H league, there are plenty of things to take part in. Rob and his leagues and knock out events, my WFB 500 one days, the BB league, and the Necromunda and soon to start BFG campaigns. Even Amelia's painting challange, got a huge number of people, who rarely get a paintbrush out, involved in a further aspect if the hobby.

All in all it gives people plenty of options for games, and reasons to keep coming back. I also think keeping an active forum, certainly helps. Most people know when they get here, there is a game for them, so their trip, particuarly if your traveling from further out, is not a waste. It also means that when people are looking to find a local gaming club we show up. Wyvern Wargamers for an age, didn't have a very accessible Internet presence, so it's hard to find that they exist.

But the key to running a successful club, is a good core of people, and plenty of reasons to keep coming back.
Star Wars Legion - Rebels
Guildball - Alchemists
Blood Bowl - Lizardmen
What Gaz said, spot on!

If people take the time to look around tonight, you'll see such a massive variety of games! It's what impressed me the most when I finally attended.

I would also add that the atmosphere is great, full of laugher, ooing and aring, you can get a sense that people are their for fun, rolling dice and hanging out with mates.

Maybe you could mention how there is an enormous following for the games that GW apparently can't be bothered with any more... Tongue

(BFG, Necromunda etc)
40K - Chaos Space Marines BloodBowl - Dark Elves & Ogres
Battlefleet Gothic - Chaos Necromunda - Redemptionists

Iron within, Iron without!
(22-08-2013, 09:14 AM)GreyKnight Wrote: Maybe you could mention how there is an enormous following for the games that GW apparently can't be bothered with any more... Tongue

(BFG, Necromunda etc)

Yeah, I was wondering how to convey that Big Grin
Figures painted in 2016: 4 Blush
"What this game needs is a panda with a chaingun."
(22-08-2013, 09:17 AM)Stuart Wrote:
(22-08-2013, 09:14 AM)GreyKnight Wrote: Maybe you could mention how there is an enormous following for the games that GW apparently can't be bothered with any more... Tongue

(BFG, Necromunda etc)

Yeah, I was wondering how to convey that Big Grin

Spot on.
Dropfleet Commander: UCM
Dropzone Commander: UCM
Star Wars X-Wing: Rebel Alliance
Magic the Gathering
LotR SBG: High Elves
Warhammer 40,000 7th ed.: Astra Militarum & Eldar
Halo Fleet Battles: Covenant
BFG: Imperial Navy & Eldar Corsairs
Warhammer Fantasy 8th ed.: Warriors of Chaos