Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Xbox One
Following on from a conversation a few of us were having at t'club last night, Microsoft have issued the following update today:

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/update

Quote:Last week at E3, the excitement, creativity and future of our industry was on display for a global audience.

For us, the future comes in the form of Xbox One, a system designed to be the best place to play games this year and for many years to come. As is our heritage with Xbox, we designed a system that could take full advantage of advances in technology in order to deliver a breakthrough in game play and entertainment. We imagined a new set of benefits such as easier roaming, family sharing, and new ways to try and buy games. We believe in the benefits of a connected, digital future.

Since unveiling our plans for Xbox One, my team and I have heard directly from many of you, read your comments and listened to your feedback. I would like to take the opportunity today to thank you for your assistance in helping us to reshape the future of Xbox One.

You told us how much you loved the flexibility you have today with games delivered on disc. The ability to lend, share, and resell these games at your discretion is of incredible importance to you. Also important to you is the freedom to play offline, for any length of time, anywhere in the world.

So, today I am announcing the following changes to Xbox One and how you can play, share, lend, and resell your games exactly as you do today on Xbox 360. Here is what that means:

An internet connection will not be required to play offline Xbox One games –
After a one-time system set-up with a new Xbox One, you can play any disc based game without ever connecting online again. There is no 24 hour connection requirement and you can take your Xbox One anywhere you want and play your games, just like on Xbox 360.

Trade-in, lend, resell, gift, and rent disc based games just like you do today –
There will be no limitations to using and sharing games, it will work just as it does today on Xbox 360.

In addition to buying a disc from a retailer, you can also download games from Xbox Live on day of release. If you choose to download your games, you will be able to play them offline just like you do today. Xbox One games will be playable on any Xbox One console -- there will be no regional restrictions.

These changes will impact some of the scenarios we previously announced for Xbox One. The sharing of games will work as it does today, you will simply share the disc. Downloaded titles cannot be shared or resold. Also, similar to today, playing disc based games will require that the disc be in the tray.

We appreciate your passion, support and willingness to challenge the assumptions of digital licensing and connectivity. While we believe that the majority of people will play games online and access the cloud for both games and entertainment, we will give consumers the choice of both physical and digital content. We have listened and we have heard loud and clear from your feedback that you want the best of both worlds.

Thank you again for your candid feedback. Our team remains committed to listening, taking feedback and delivering a great product for you later this year.
Figures painted in 2016: 4 Blush
"What this game needs is a panda with a chaingun."
'U' turn 'R' Us.
Dropfleet Commander: UCM
Dropzone Commander: UCM
Star Wars X-Wing: Rebel Alliance
Magic the Gathering
LotR SBG: High Elves
Warhammer 40,000 7th ed.: Astra Militarum & Eldar
Halo Fleet Battles: Covenant
BFG: Imperial Navy & Eldar Corsairs
Warhammer Fantasy 8th ed.: Warriors of Chaos

Element Games referral code JAS173.
Lots of "Xbox 180" headlines doing the rounds last night Smile

Shame to see some of the game sharing features sacrificed in the process though.
Figures painted in 2016: 4 Blush
"What this game needs is a panda with a chaingun."
Absolutely no reason to buy a console this generation. Get a PC, so much cheaper in the long run. A gaming rig that can run any game on good settings can set you back maybe £500, and you will make all of that back over a console due to much much MUCH cheaper games, steam sales, and free to play and indie titles.
I've heard that said every time a new console comes out Nick. Tongue
Most people prefer the ease of use of console vs PC, myself included, plus the fact that you don't have to upgrade on a regular basis to get the most out of the latest PC games.
The console cycles are getting a lot longer before they are updated, so the cheaper in the long run argument is flawed. To get a really good PC set up you are talking £600 plus i believe? Then in 6 months time it is out dated!
Personally i like both for different genres, can't beat PC for RTS and Footy manager, but prefer my Fifa, FPS, Racing and Rpgs on consoles.
40k- Space marines(5000 pts) Imperial guard (3000 pts) Tau (3000 pts)
Epic 40k-Space marines/Imperial Guard(2000 pts)
Infinity Yu jing (Aprox 1000 pts)
Necromunda Escher Mad capsules Avalanche
Blood bowl Skaven
My current rig cost £600, it will run anything out at the moment on max settings, it won't need upgrades for at least 2-3 years. You can easily get a cheaper rig and still be able to run anything that's out there. Secondly, games are due to increase in price to over £50 for consoles, which is a huge amount considering i buy everything in steam sales, or play free to play titles. Thirdly, you can get racing games, football titles for PC and just use a wired 360 controller, and as for RPG's and FPS's, the PC is their true home. Controllers over a mouse for an FPS? Blegh! And lets not forget Mod support, i think anyone who bought Skyrim on console was outright robbed to be honest, and you can play PC games without spending a penny nowadays as the Free2Play scene is now massive. If you have heard this said every time a new console comes out, MAYBE you should listen. The cheaper in the long run arguement is not flawed. Say you spend £500 on a PC. That's less than hundred more than the new xbox. Say each xbox game is £50, but each PC game you buy is only £10-15. Which saves you money over 5 years? This is not meant to be a "PC is better than consoles" rant, i'm trying to save people money.
Just as a point, they have already said game prices will stay the same as they are now. The £50/60 rumour started because of Amazon putting place holder prices up for pre-orders.
I would love to spend £600 on a high end PC, but can't (as most) justify it. You could get a cheaper set-up but they need upgrading sooner (my laptop was mid-range, cost £350 and struggles, its only 2 years old)!
A console will last me 6-7 years on current life cycles. A PC by your own admission needs a upgrade every 2-3 years to get the best out of games. Also, as you have said you need to buy wired controller, so there is an additional expense to get set up. Tongue
The Xbox one will cost around £400 i believe when released (and will get a price drop within 12 months), if you shop online smartly you should get new games for £35-40. most new PC games are £25-£30. You can also then trade those games in which you can't do with PC games.
Also i would argue that the best RPG's have been on consoles, there is nothing the PC has that even compares to Zelda. Yes that includes skyrim. Tongue
If you said better, it would probably be a better argument because of Mods and stuff, but cheaper is the wrong argument.
edit put the price in wrong Tongue
40k- Space marines(5000 pts) Imperial guard (3000 pts) Tau (3000 pts)
Epic 40k-Space marines/Imperial Guard(2000 pts)
Infinity Yu jing (Aprox 1000 pts)
Necromunda Escher Mad capsules Avalanche
Blood bowl Skaven
My point is you don't EVER buy new games. Stuff gets dropped to £15 within 6 weeks normally, you don't need trade ins. And you are totally glossing over F2P. F2P is the way forward, i spend most of my gaming time on World of Tanks, League of Legends, Tribes or Mechwarrior, and i spend no money on them. And you don't NEED an upgrade every 2-3 years, only if you want to stay cutting edge. And your laptop struggles because they are overpriced and underpowered compaired to an equivalent PC. http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/06/13/six-re...inning-e3/

And we may not have Zelda, which i can live without, but we have a rather large selection of MMO's, along with every other console-released RPG (at least the main titles) and our own PC exclusives. PC games, especially the non AAA titles usually have a much longer lifespan too, rather than having to buy a brand new version of the same game because publishers demand a yearly release schedule.
I think we're starting to get into a bit of a argument over opinion here rather than facts. There pro's an con's of both platforms. I have a PC and a Console, I use the console for multiplayer games because quite simply, its easier. All of my friends have consoles so if I wish to play online with them then I have to do it on a console. Ideally I keep to RPG, RTS and flight games on the PC and FPS & Racing games on the console, but thats personal preference. For the most part PC games are cheaper (I'm talking mainstream games, not free to play), PCs processing power per £1 usually tends to be better but does require fairly regular upgrading (like every 2-4 years or so), again consoles games are more expensive but I have a lot more PC games than console games but I have to upgrade it more regularly than I would replace my console.

All in all my opinion would be that financially there is little in it (for mainstream gamers), it comes down to personal preference, who you play with and what kind of games you play at the end of the day.

I will be buying an Xbox One, it won't be on release as £429 is just too much for something I don't use often enough but within a year or so I will. I won't be buying a PS4, theres simply more games I'm interested in on the Xbox range and I can't afford both. I will most likely be upgrading my PC during the lifespan of the Xbox one too.
Dropfleet Commander: UCM
Dropzone Commander: UCM
Star Wars X-Wing: Rebel Alliance
Magic the Gathering
LotR SBG: High Elves
Warhammer 40,000 7th ed.: Astra Militarum & Eldar
Halo Fleet Battles: Covenant
BFG: Imperial Navy & Eldar Corsairs
Warhammer Fantasy 8th ed.: Warriors of Chaos

Element Games referral code JAS173.
Consoles are the much easier option. Getting a good PC that's cost effective does mean building your own, and researching what parts are going to be the best fit, as ideally you want them to last a while. I bought stuff that i can overclock, so after 2-3 years i can bump up the power by overclocking, meaning i might not need any upgrades for another year or so. I've been mostly a console gamer up until around 4 years ago, and i can honestly say that PC has been the far cheaper option for me. Steam sales alone mean that you never really pay above £15-£17 for a game, even a mainstream title like the Assassin's Creed series, or Tomb Raider or something like that. I don't really like mainstream big titles much anymore, they bore me something fierce. F2P stuff isn't scared of trying something new, or demanding a high skill level from its players. I admit that there are advantages to both, and a PC player will miss out on certain series of games...but to save what i feel is a substantial amount of money, and have access to a lot of things that consoles do NOT have, i feel its a great trade.