Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Warhammer Armies: Warriors of Chaos - Help!?
(23-04-2013, 10:13 AM)Gareth Wrote: The game is much better, and it became a two player game. However I think JJ is struggling with a 1-7ed combat system, and changes to 8ed combat, means units have to be fielded differently. Once he's happy with mechanics, we can have a chat about how things have changed, and what you need to be aware of with the changes. Justin your WoC input would be helpful too.

Well first two games got pounded. In both cases I lost a third of my army in one combat against a unit that shouldn't have even made them blink let alone die.
Dropfleet Commander: UCM
Dropzone Commander: UCM
Star Wars X-Wing: Rebel Alliance
Magic the Gathering
LotR SBG: High Elves
Warhammer 40,000 7th ed.: Astra Militarum & Eldar
Halo Fleet Battles: Covenant
BFG: Imperial Navy & Eldar Corsairs
Warhammer Fantasy 8th ed.: Warriors of Chaos

Element Games referral code JAS173.
The game against me, I got a flank charge against a unit MUCH weaker than mine, if I was in your flank with any sort of magical augment. The fact that you may have in the past been better than me, that's not the case in the current edition. What happened in your second game I cannot comment on, but the combat against me, I was on a 7 static combat to your 1 to start. Unless you killed 6 guys you never stood a chance in that combat.

Charge - 1
Ranks - 3* *this is likely to drop to a 2
Flank - 1
Standard - 1
Battle Standard - 1

You had 4 men with 4 attacks, hitting on 3, so 11 hit, wounding on 4s so 6 wound I save on 6s so 5 die, on a slightly better than average rolls on your side. My side 10 hit 5 wound 3 die. Any kills on my side I start win combat, and pumping out 17 attacks back, hitting on 4 so 8 hits wounding on 3 so 6 wound your saving on 6s, 5 should die in return. You lose frenzy that turn, you may or not run, I may or not catch you, either way you loose 1 attack per man, your combat threat is gone.

Unlike 40k there are a huge number of modifiers, and combats are not solved purely on kills (that might not be 6th ed cannot remember combat change.)
Star Wars Legion - Rebels
Guildball - Alchemists
Blood Bowl - Lizardmen
OK but how do I avoid being charged?! I can't stand an wait as I have no missile weapons...

What would you recommend? I figure getting three ranks of 5 an a std/btl std would help the warriors.
Magic the Gathering

(24-04-2013, 05:35 PM)jjakaalbinoboy Wrote: OK but how do I avoid being charged?! I can't stand an wait as I have no missile weapons...

What would you recommend? I figure getting three ranks of 5 an a std/btl std would help the warriors.

In 8th edition chargers gain +1 to combat result, blows are struck in Initiative order. So You might be charged by somebody with lower Initiative and You still hit first. To avoid being charged use some cheap units as a bait and use them wisely to change Your opponets unit position and angle and charge flank with Your combat unit. Im goingt to show You few trick on tuesday.
WFB (DE) 2014...W-D-L...2-0-0
That's more or less what happened on our game. You charged my 45 point swarm, knowing that frenzied troops over run, exposing their flank to my big combat block.

You also want a counter threat. If you held back with a chariot, I wouldn't charge, as you then follow my charge with your chariot in my flank.

Finally mark of Khorne is not the greatest mark. In fact I would probably rank it 2nd at best, and as low as 4th best mark on certain units. Careful selection of marks of chaos, in the right units, is a big key to a WoC army.
Guildball - Alchemists
Blood Bowl - Lizardmen
a big thing i consider is this charging only get 1 plus modifier so not worrying about if u have a big unit that can easily kill more than an opernant to this units should really be 20 or more men and as already mention units in reserve - held back as the 'crack back' (counter charge) positioning has always been key in this game and nothing has change that
My usual 'core' unit is 30 warriors in 5 ranks of 6 with additional hand weapons shields and mark of khorne, shields for 3+ save from shooting, add weapons and khorne for 4 attacks each at I 5 so mostly hitting first except for elves, I also make use of warhounds as cheap charge blockers and general cannon fodder
WARHAMMER/AGE OF SIGMAR:  khorne warriors of chaos
WARMACHINE: Khador, mercenaries 
BOLT ACTION 51st highlander division (in progress)
KILL TEAM: Adeptus mechanicus

How do you keep your frenzied units from charging anything the enemy puts in front of them? Also, to you both, how does the frenzied charging anything "in range" bit work when charge distance is random??

Current Plan (themed):
Lord - Valkia 405 pts
Hero - Scyla Anfinngrim 105 pts
Hero - Battle Standard Bearer (Mark of Khorne) 145 pts
Hero - Chaos Sorcerer 110 pts
Core - 19 Warriors (Mark of Khorne, Full Command, Extra HW & Shields) 391 pts
Core - 20 Marauders (Mark of Khorne, Full Command, Light Armour & Shields) 230 pts
Core - 5 Marauder Horsemen (Musician, Javelins & Shields) 90 pts
Special - 5 Chaos Knights (Mark of Khorne, Full Command, Ensorcelled W) 255 pts
Rare - 3 Skullcrushers of Khorne 264 pts

Total - 1,995 pts
Magic the Gathering

1 - your list has no mark on the Maruder Horsemen. If you sit them in front of a frenzied unit, that unit cannot charge anything, so it gives you a degree of control. If you had a few units of chaos war hounds, you again can do the same.

2 - frenzy works like this. You CAN declare a charge at your will, against any unit that it is possible to complete the charge against. So if you are withing 12"+M" and you could make one wheel of 90* which doesn't count as part of the movement (must be used to get past blocking units and terrain, and maximise models in combat.) and it lies within the forward arc of sight of a unit, you MAY declare a charge. You choose which unit if there are more than one, potential target.

If you CHOOSE not to, and you have a target that it is possible that you COULD complete a charge (so again you COULD roll 2 or more 6's) then you must first pass a Ld test. If the test is failed you then HAVE to declare a charge against the NEAREST viable unit.

So again if you have a unit in front of your frenzied unit, then it could not complete a charge because its 'free' wheel would hit a friendly unit. Or if your unit was further in front, the free wheel would take it on a path, that when it then moves in a straight line it would fail to contact it's target.
Note that this tactic will not protect Valkia, because she has FLY, and will move over intervening units.

However the most important thing is that you have a Ld 10 general and a Battle Standard Bearer. As such any unit within 12" of both Scyla and the BSB will only have to charge a unit on a 1/144 chance. The most difficult part would be controlling Scyla seeing as he has random movement, but again holding him back behind your lines, would do that for you.
Guildball - Alchemists
Blood Bowl - Lizardmen
Cheers Gaz, sounds good. Would it be worth me dropping the marauders on foot in exchange for some warhounds then?

Does anyone have a PDF of the printed WoC army book??
Magic the Gathering