Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Warhammer fantasy 9th edition rumours and rumoured release schedule
Spotted this and thought i would drop it here for you Fantasy players.
Hi,
while Harry still thinks that 9th edition comes next year, Hastings changed his mind and now is certain that it will come 2015, a year later.
Here the Fantasy release schedule according to Hastings:

2013:
High Elves
Lizardmen

Dark Elves
Dwarfs
Wood Elves

Bretonnia
Orks&Goblins
9th edition

Harry is certain that 9th edition will be more than a quick fix, featuring big changes. A new wave of job openings in the design studio last month (rules, background, painters) could be a sign of things to come. Here some recent quotes from Warseer:

75hastings69 wrote:
I was actually discussing with Harry about a month or so ago that next WFB is not till 2015.

An extra year would allow all armies to get treatment before new edition in 2015.

HE
Lizardmen

DE
Dwarfs
Brets(?)

WE (?)
Skaven (?)
9th edition

Personally I'd swap WE & Brets around and change Skaven to O&G....... but that's just me

Harry wrote:
Avian wrote:
NatTreehouse wrote:
9th edition rumors
Major overhall and not like all the other "major" ones - radical rethink. Ricks gone so other people want to get their hands on it.
All army books gone and Ravening Hordes replacement
Timeline moves forward
So many changes won't come out before 2015, not next year (Memphis got panties in a bunch about this)

This is essentially a repeat of the rumours we had before both 8th edition and 7th edition. They are made up this time as well, which should be blindingly obvious from the suggestion that they are redoing all army books.
Just nonsense. Move along.

Says you. Based on what?

Avian wrote:
Yeah, the mention of 2015 wasn't the thing that made people realize it was an invented rumour.
While I would hope that 9th comes soon to fix some of the problems I have with eighth

It is not an invented rumour. 9th will be more than a quick fix.
I posted months ago to hint as much. I first heard this last year. I have heard it a few times since.
(...)
When I said I thought 'it was 2014 but opinions vary' was because I was hearing different things from different folks.
When it comes to rumours I almost always go with what hastings says ... as he is almost always right.
So if his sources are saying 2015 ... then thats probably right.

As for the 'big changes' stuff ... you may want to hold off on the salt a bit.

Marked_by_chaos over at Warseer wrote:
Every now and then I have a look at the job vacancies on the gw site out of interest. Recently the nature of adverts and types of jobs seems to have changed. There was in particular a big explosion of design studio jobs advertised at the end of last month. Seems like they are looking for everything from rules writers to background writers to army painters to video/hobby/painting presenters.

Perhaps they're starting to a get a bit more professional about design studio recruitment i.e. not a weird in house Recruitment process but an attempt to recruit the most effective staff. Some of the jobs indicate a new direction in project work, particularly the split between a rule writer and background writer role. One can only hope for no more kaldor draigos.
40k- Space marines(5000 pts) Imperial guard (3000 pts) Tau (3000 pts)
Epic 40k-Space marines/Imperial Guard(2000 pts)
Infinity Yu jing (Aprox 1000 pts)
Necromunda Escher Mad capsules Avalanche
Blood bowl Skaven
Spotted these rather tasty sounding rumours, 9th could be a big shake up for the fluff!-

Harry wrote:I'm honestly not sure where my money is. I try to imagine one book like warhammer armies for third edition ... then I look at my pile of hardback, or even the old soft back army books. It's not going to work. Back in second edition they only had about 10 armies and they could fit the army list on a few pages. Now we have a few more and they are all fully fleshed out armies that fill a book on their own. Either they will have to leave a lot of stuff out and just include army lists and a bit of bestiary to explain special rules OR they will need to be more than one book. If they do fit the stuff they need in one book where are they going to put the rest of the rich history, background, bestiary, hobby section, etc, etc. I can't see them leaving all that behind. (Which means it may be exactly as described in the first post that Warhammer armies is one thing but full army books remain).
When I heard about this it was still all up in the air.... I have no idea where the dust settled ... so just be sure that you are taking a chance.

(...)
I am not sure I have added any new information or even clarified the OP ... just re-stating what I said 10 months ago. The funny thing is this is not even the biggest change I heard about. (It's just what came up on the thread).
Again I don't know the details as I heard this a while ago and I suspect it was still all up in the air and I don't know where it all came down again ... but ... I did hear that the timeline was going to move forward. Not just a few years either but a few hundred of years. I didn't mention this at the time because they had only just released Karl Franz. But unless the Empire's magic users have come up with some clever way of prolonging life he along with every other special character would be dead and gone. But that is not all that would change ... technologies would move on. What technological advances would the skaven have come up with in another few hundred years? The empire already have robotic horses for crying out loud ... (reminds me ... I must get on and paint that Clockwork Dragon.) The Dwarves have flying machines now .... presumably they will be entering the space race? (No ... I am not predicting the return of squats to 40K). I am just saying things could change a good bit. Empires could rise and fall. Cataclysm could have happened, comets could have returned, civilisations could be wiped off the map. The balance of power could certainly have changed.

My sense of it was they were planning to take the opportunity to reset the clock and shake things up a bit.
(and that's just the background!!! )

Lets just say when 9th edition comes ... Warhammer Armies will not be the only, or the biggest topic of conversation.
Blood bowl Skaven
Hmmmm........
History is written by the victors - Sir Winston Churchill
Quote:http://natfka.blogspot.com.es/2013/11/wa...k-and.html

Tim wrote:Starter Rulebook

-Complete rules for Movement Shooting & Close Combat
-All special rules that are important for the contained armies (also Units from the Armybooks)
-Rules to create Scenarios

"First Game" Booklet

-Complete Rules of the contained Models (Profile, special Rules, Unit size, Options)
-Properly Beginner Rules (like 7th Edition Starter Set)

Triumph and Treachery is designed for the 9th Edition. The brown Cover design will be the same on the Starter Set.

Starter Set will include modular Snap Fit Models (Sword or Spear, Musket or Crossbow).

http://natfka.blogspot.com.es/2013/11/fa...r-set.html

Tim wrote:The 9th Edition starter set includes:
Armies of Warhammer
-The book contains simplified lists for all armies with few options. (Complete Profils)
-Some special rules but less as in the Armybooks.

"First Game" Booklet
-Simplified Rules
-Rules for the contain Models (Simplified Profils and in the booklet used special Rules)

Starter Rulebook (see older Rumors)

Empire Army
-Captain on Steed (Sword or Lance option)
-Warrior Priest of Sigmar (Two Hand Hammer or One Hand Hammer & Shield option)
-5x Knights (Sword or Lance with Shield option + Commando)
-20x State Troops (Spear or Sword with Shield option + Commando)
-20x State Troops (Musket or Crossbow option + Commando)

Orcs & Goblins Army
-Orc Boss on Wyvern (Axe and Shield)
-20x Goblins (Spear with Shield or Bow option + Commando)
-14x Orcs (Choppa or Spear with Shield option + Commando)
-Goblin Ballista

http://natfka.blogspot.com.es/2013/11/9t...cards.html

Tim wrote:9th Edition Armiebooks comes with Statcards.
The cards include profiles, special rules and equipment. They are also sold separately.
Blood bowl Skaven
WFB 9th Edition Latest

Quote:via Steve the Warboss 11-25-2014

-The Work on the Rules has already completed
-Endtimes will maybe not mentioned in the Rulebook
-The Design Studio seems working on Siege Rules for an Expansion
-The Starter Set will return to "step by step" introduction
-No allied Matrix like 40k, we become something like "factions"
-GW plans the release for May, Starter will come in June
Blood bowl Skaven
I heard from someone reliable that 9th was written, so I'm guessing that backs this up. I was being asked about ET and I had said I wished they had done the three remaining books first. I was told that they to expect them all completed during 9th, but seeing as ET has banded things together, they may not get the seperate releases they deserve. It's a shame, seeing as Beasts and Skaven could have just been tweaked a little (both were done with 8th in mind,) and I'm sure Brets wouldn't have been to difficult to do either. So close to getting a full set during an edition, but now we get to start again.
Star Wars Legion - Rebels
Guildball - Alchemists
Blood Bowl - Lizardmen
Spotted this on Dakka and thought it might be of interest-
Quote:Darnok wrote:
If you like Warhammer, I suggest you better take a seat.

Over the last few months I got a few glimpses on what WHF could change to in the very near future. I have collected messages, asked questions, and tried to form a somewhat coherent picture. The one thing I believe by now is: Warhammer in its current form will no longer be supported by GW. It will be transformed into something else, with everything built up in background and most of the model range being kicked out of the door.

To give you an insight into some of the messages I got, have a look at the following. Please note that I am paraphrasing at times, and have cut out (hopefully) everything that could lead to the original identities of my friendly birdies.

Quote Originally Posted by Birdy
- 9th Edition to pick up where the ET leaves off in fluff, plus a couple of hundred years or so (to reboot the setting).

- The Warhammer World gets shattered on a dimensional level during the climax of the ET. No more "map of the Old World" - it's now little bubbles of reality, where pockets of civilisation try desperately to eke a living before the next collision with another bubble, which may be full of Chaos. (To address the problem of "how come my Tomb Kings of Khemri are fighting against Wood Elves from Athel Loren?", not that I get the impression that either of those will still exist, but you get the idea)

- New faction... heavily armoured, religious, "good" human warriors fighting with the power of the gods. (Warhammer Space Marines, basically). Karl Franz Ascended seems to be the prototype or precursor for this concept, AFAICT.
Quote Originally Posted by Another Birdy
9th edition will have 6 factions. Model diversity cut in half shelf space. New world and new age so current factions and lore aren't recognizable at all. Each new faction has like 3 core units that will always be on the shelf. Much faster releases of stuff, mainly characters and special units of 2-5 fancy models (like Morghasts) that have their own rules right in the box, so not dependent on a static army book. Many of the these non-core models are only available for a limited time (say 6 months to a year), so they don't take up shelf space forever and ever. Many existing models are not usable in 9th.
Quote Originally Posted by Birdy #3
We can expect the next edition of Fantasy to throw everything up in the air. The whole End Times move has been to wean people onto a whole new take on the Warhammer world and it's going to start with every army being "chaosified". We can expect army play styles and appearance to change quite dramatically and there will be a whole load of new models being released early on to tie everything together. This has caused quite a stir back at GW HQ as there are a lot of people behind the scenes (some of which are very well known to us) who don't like the changes that have been made. I have also been told that the models due to be released are some of the best to date!
Add to that (and by "Birdy Prime" I mean my best source so far):

Quote Originally Posted by Birdy Prime
'9th' [or] whatever is next for fantasy [...] coming 2015 in the summer. The new faction [plus] future releases after this point for five 'existing' factions (which plus this would make six) […] but I think there will be [...] more.
As you can see, it will be drastic. It seems like those „Spanish rumours“ might have had some more flesh on them than I thought: I am by now sorry for my sometimes nasty words about them. And despite my remorse about ever mentioning it, I think my statement about a „ragestorm of epic proportions“ could have been correct after all.

This whole thing will turn out to be either correct or not in less than six months. Hopefully we can get over our worst emotions until then.

P.S.: I have sat on most of this since right before Christmas, but decided I didn't want to ruin anybodies holidays. I also had high hopes for somebody relieving me from this stuff... but that hope was lost.

AS i said yesterday in the other thread, Darnok has a pretty good rumour history.....

But they are only rumours so take with salt!
Blood bowl Skaven
Well I guess we can always continue to play 8th edition if it becomes something totally different.
40K - Dark Angels, Dark Eldar, Necrons; Lord of the Rings - lots; Bloodbowl - Dwarves, Wood Elves; SAGA - Anglo Danes & Welsh; Guildball - Morticians, Engineers; Dropzone/fleet - Shaltari
Thought i'd copy this quote across as it puts my thoughts on it better than me :p -
Quote:the_Armyman wrote:
It all sounds very plausible to me. Here's why:

1. Vets don't buy things. They buy enough to keep current in the hobby. Sometimes they don't even do that.
2. The prices make it difficult for new players to buy things.
3. Fantasy is bloated. There are too many armies with too many codes.
4. At what point does maintaining the status quo with WHFB become an albatross? Lots of anecdotal evidence that it just does not sell.

So, product bloat, high prices, and flagging sales? Change All the Things. Change the scale of battle: no more massed blocks of troops. Change the factions: compress and homogenize, add flavor later in the form of single special models/units and DLC. Change the fluff: break the high fantasy mold, change the faction names, protect the IP.

It all makes perfect sense.

If they do update all the army books as rumoured before 9th hits, leaving 8th playable for Vets and 9th as a new way of playing does make sense from a money making way. But it is a massive risk at the same time!
Blood bowl Skaven
Read it last night after club. PoV to be added after work.
Star Wars Legion - Rebels
Guildball - Alchemists
Blood Bowl - Lizardmen