Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thoughts on Paladins
As the dice Lords have decided that I am using Terminators at B Brum, I have been having a look, (as have you all in the past I am sure), at the difference between Paladins and Terminators.

Well the bottom line is that 10 Paladins cost 750 with 4 x cannons, banner, psy ammo and apothecary. 10 Terminators with Banner, ammo and 2 cannons come in at 495, so effectively 2/3 the cost.
but...
Paladins have twice as many psy cannons
Are WS 5
With the Apo it takes 27 wounds to take them out, compared to 10 to take out 10 Terminators.

On reflection, 10 Paladins might be very expensive, but they are very cost effective compared to normal Terminators. The down side is taking Draigo to make them troops, but his advantage is of course that he can soak up the melta/plasma shots at the front and pass on everything else.

I know this is all obvious, but lets look at 100 shots from Robs Blob.

With re roll to hit assume 75 hits S3 mostly, which is 25, with some auto cannons call it 30 wounds. Thats 5 dead Terminators compared to just under two dead Paladins. Interesting.

8 flamers of Tzeentch might do around 24 hits unless you deploy like an idiot. Thats 12 wounds, saving on a 5+ is 8 dead Terminators. FNP on those 8 saves is 5 1/3 wounds - 2 or 3 dead Paladins. A huge difference.

I will try both armies tomorrow and see what happens.
Further

10 Paladins plus Draigo = 1025 pts

20 Terminators = 980 pts – around the same.

20 Terminators have 20 wounds x 6 = 120 wounds to kill them.

10 Paladins have 20 wounds plus 6 1/3 = 26 1/3 wounds x 6 = 158 wounds to kill them, plus all the wounds to kill Draigo.

Quite an advantage.

The 20 Terminators do however shoot 16 S5 storm bolter shots per turn more than the Paladins.
and don't forget instant death vs lascannons/melta without Fnp...the bane of the paladin
40K - Dark Angels, Dark Eldar, Necrons; Lord of the Rings - lots; Bloodbowl - Dwarves, Wood Elves; SAGA - Anglo Danes & Welsh; Guildball - Morticians, Engineers; Dropzone/fleet - Shaltari
Bit of maths on the >S8 AP2 shots vs Paladins and termies with BS4:

37% of shots kill a paladin or grey knight termy. So 3 lascannons/meltas to kill one of each. That's 30 shots to wipe a squad, so in this case it's better to have termies. I guess most armies will not be packing that much of this type of weapon, but plasma is quite common.

in the case of plasma, the paladins are much better at standing up to it due to not being ID'd and also plasma doesn't get through the FNP of either termies or paladins.

On the other hand, the paladin squad can only kill 1 target per turn, whereas the temies can kill 2.

So paladins are better against armies with low amounts of S8 Ap2 weapons, and lower unit count armies. Termies are better against armies with greater unit counts and more S8 weapons. The termies could however also be taken as 4 units of 5 - better tactical flexibility.
40K - Dark Angels, Dark Eldar, Necrons; Lord of the Rings - lots; Bloodbowl - Dwarves, Wood Elves; SAGA - Anglo Danes & Welsh; Guildball - Morticians, Engineers; Dropzone/fleet - Shaltari
To play devils advocate, could you take a squad of each @ 1750pts

Yeah in 1850, but not in 1750 if I want a dread knight - which I do!