Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Project Paint
Four figures done this week are 4 x Easterling Kataphract horses:

Started the riders, but they are pretty much four figures themselves...
Anyway, painting the first LotR Warband is underway...

The gold on the horses is just two coats of burnished gold, but on the rider I'm playing with I read about adding orange and brown washes to give a richer feel to the colour, so have given it a go. Jury is out but I think I like it, prior to dipping.
History is written by the victors - Sir Winston Churchill
My four for this week which I completed tonight.
Riders united with horses.
Couldn't decide which picture I liked best so 3 shots of the same 4!

Nice Paul - any tips on painting horses?
Figures painted in 2016: 4 Blush
"What this game needs is a panda with a chaingun."
(07-03-2016, 09:39 AM)Stuart Wrote: Nice Paul - any tips on painting horses?

These are pretty basic - they are 'bays' = black legs, tail and mane.
So I paint hooves first with something like a khaki.
Then just a decent coat of main colour (any shade of brown for bays)over the none-black-bit horse coat, gonna be dipped with dark tone - lighter washes of browns show up better, as you can see, but up to you...
Then teeth and tongue if applicable.
Eyes black or dark brown, but key is to make the rear third of the eye white.
Saddle cloth and tack whatever you fancy.
These are then quickshaded - I prefer dark.

I might do some extra highlighting on tack and stuff to taste...

Quite basic really.
Looking great. Nice crisp paint job. Interesting work with the quick shade? Not quite sure what quick shade is to be honest would be good to see a demo picture... In my head I imagine inks and/or washes.

(07-03-2016, 09:39 AM)Stuart Wrote: Nice Paul - any tips on painting horses?

For horses I find layering up dry brush coasts and gradually going up the shades works well. Adding a ink wash after the first layer of dry brush then adding 2 layers of a lighter colour.
LOTR/Hobbit SBG: Rohan, Minas Tirith, Numenor, Mordor, Moria & Angmar, Isengard, Harad & Umbar, Eregion & Rivendel, Durins Folk, Fellowship, White Council
(07-03-2016, 10:01 PM)Rob Lainchbury Wrote: Not quite sure what quick shade is to be honest would be good to see a demo picture... In my head I imagine inks and/or washes.

Your more or less on the money there. The terminology comes from the product used, in this case Army Painters Quickshade, but is more commonly known as dipping. Army Painter produce two types of products with the label quick shade, the first being their inks (exactly the same as the very old GW inks [chestnut ink for example,]) the second which Pauls using is more of a staining varnish, adding protection on top of shading. The basic principle is lay down some base colours, maybe highlight a little, then apply the shading colour, over the entire model, and the models done. Its doesn't produce Golden Demon winning armies, but it certainly gets painted models on to the table at a blistering pace. I painted up over 100 models for an event last year in under two weeks (it might have been longer but it was well under a month,) doing a similar method, and from a distance its hard to tell the difference between those and my latest model which took me over a week (on and off.)
Star Wars Legion - Rebels
Guildball - Alchemists
Blood Bowl - Lizardmen
(07-03-2016, 10:01 PM)Rob Lainchbury Wrote: Interesting work with the quick shade? Not quite sure what quick shade is to be honest would be good to see a demo picture... In my head I imagine inks and/or washes.

It's great stuff Rob. Andy T (a former player at the club) was a big advocate of it and inspired some of us to try it. His recipe is pretty simple but produces great results with some practice...

(12-07-2012, 01:16 PM)Doc T Wrote: Glad to see people trying the dip etc. I am still a big fan of the army painter strong tone dip. The key thing is you NEED the dip to pool (to a certain extent) and flow down the model - that's what gives the brilliant shading effects. Devlan mud covers too evenly to give the same effect - it is still great stuff but I use it now as a matt varnish (and extra contrast) after I "dip".

Here are some "white" figures:
http://warhammer.org.uk/phpBB/viewtopic....11&t=99427

The key thing here is NOT to use block colours prior to "dipping" - washes (60:40 mix of water:paint) give a much better contrast. None of the figures in the article above have any highlighting (other than on the faces). Similarly, the "black" is done with dark brown. Privateer Paints (P3 Paints) and Coat d'Arms Paints (the original "GW paints" from many years ago) are excellent for this - I'm afraid GW paints are not. Also, use big brushes - the figs above were mostly painted with a size 4 brush (yes, size 4, Pro Arte Prolene - available from art shops).

Finally, plan your painting time. Yes, the dip takes 24 hours to dry so paint it on last thing in an evening and it is ready for the next day. Give all undercoats 24 hours to dry - I use GW Skull White spray - they may look dry after a few mins but they are not. The dip is oil based - I use Polycleanse brush cleaner (the bright blue stuff, Homebase).

I've used it for plenty of stuff, including my entire SAGA force (of which I can't find many photos unfortunately). Some other examples below:

http://forum.redwarsoc.com/showthread.ph...0#pid13790

http://forum.redwarsoc.com/showthread.ph...2#pid14082

http://forum.redwarsoc.com/showthread.ph...0#pid16850

http://forum.redwarsoc.com/showthread.ph...4#pid23754

http://forum.redwarsoc.com/showthread.ph...1#pid29961

These were all produced using the oil based product in the tin (available in 3 shades, shop around and it's around £16/tin) rather than the inks.

My basic process based on Andy's advice is white primer, 50/50 paint/water base coat, minor highlights, apply strong tone quickshade with a brush, then anti-shine varnish.
Figures painted in 2016: 4 Blush
"What this game needs is a panda with a chaingun."
A couple of horses I painted last year, my Milites Christi leader 'pure black Arabian' and another view of same but with one of his knights on a grey.

Something else I do is prepare a colour chart. 1/0 is pure colour from the pot, 1/1 is 1 part colour + 1 part water, etc. Gives me a visual on what I want to see.

It also means I can see after the event and match something I did a while ago. This is a trick I got from a watercolour lesson. If you want to know what shade of brown that building is in the distance, you hold your chart up infront of you, fold it along the right shade of brown, and see which dilution matches, etc...

And finally my wet palate...

Gaz asked me on Tuesday 'Why FOUR figures?'

Basically, I reckon I ought to be able to paint (and base et al) 4 figures a week without excuse - (work permitting et al) - to suit my personal standard of painting.

But there was also a hope it might get some other folk out there to say, 'Hey, I can do that too!' and maybe get back in the habit. So if you're reading this and you have fallen out of the habit, have a go at painting 4 a week Smile

On that basis here are my four figures for this week Big Grin

The final two Easterling Kataphrakt horses and my two Mordheim Warband Archers, (that's my warband all painted up)

(13-03-2016, 09:00 PM)Agincourt Wrote: But there was also a hope it might get some other folk out there to say, 'Hey, I can do that too!' and maybe get back in the habit. So if you're reading this and you have fallen out of the habit, have a go at painting 4 a week.

A friend used to work a GW store and hated the comment (mainly from the adult gamers,) I don't have time to paint. He would suggest that the suits in their office try taking a brush and paints to work, and prehaps rather than spend 30 minutes at a desk reading Facebook, they put a few licks of paint on things.

Getting paint on models is just a matter of will, and Pauls 4 a week is a good suggestion to help you find some.
Star Wars Legion - Rebels
Guildball - Alchemists
Blood Bowl - Lizardmen