Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Knights for Nids!
Well, it seems that im going in the opposite direction as Matt for my next army (had a few 500 point games on Tuesday with my Tyranids n they are so much fun!) However all this talk on various forums (beasts of war etc) leads me to believe that Nids are not as competitive as i hoped. But from what i can see in the codex, apart from the apparent lack of inv saves they are pretty damn mean with T6 models all over the place!

I have came up with a list that isnt exactly a 'traditional' tyranid list but it seems decent to me! (ish)

Hive Tyrant with wings, TL devourers, Hive commander, Old adversary and regen

Tervigon with Catalyst (FNP) and toxin sacs x 2

18 termagants with devourers in a spore

10 genestealers with broodlord (outflanking)

The Doom of Malan'tai in a spore

Tyranofex with rupture cannon and desicator larvae ( 48" S10 and flamer that always wounds on 2s) x 2

I have a few (obvious) concerns with this list. The main one being the slight lack of scoring units if my baby mommas dont pop many out. Also AV13 flyers will be a tough task to bring down unless the tyranofexes can get a lucky shot on them.

As im sure you all have gathered from playing against me, im not exactly the most experienced player in the world so i would reeeeeeeeeally appreciate some comments/suggestions on this list before i start building them (i hate proxy so i wanna get it right 1st time)

Thanks

Nick
Stealers suck in 6th. My mate runs a unit just like yours to no good effect at all. Yngyrl are OK or a 5 man unit with the brood lord for biomancy but thats it. mainly coz you cant charge when you arrive now and one turn is all it takes to pop em pretty much.

No need for regen on HT usually due to Biomancy unless you have the points spare.

Two tervies is a goer for sure.

We have discussed the 'two HT's or a fex issue and I understand your rationale.

Is this a 1750 list? If you drop the stealers you could have Yrngyrl or two smaller units perhaps.

Biggest thing is for the tervies to be troops you need two units of termagaunts. So how about dropping the stealers for 8 Yrngyrl and whatever is left in a unit of basic termag's?

Otherwise dont listen to the detractors - they just dont know how to use them and the list looks fine.
I'd like the echo Matts thoughts, have you considered a harpy? these things look pretty evil and will make for a great distraction!

(21-12-2012, 07:37 PM)The Count Wrote: Stealers suck in 6th. My mate runs a unit just like yours to no good effect at all. Yngyrl are OK or a 5 man unit with the brood lord for biomancy but thats it. mainly coz you cant charge when you arrive now and one turn is all it takes to pop em pretty much.

No need for regen on HT usually due to Biomancy unless you have the points spare.

Two tervies is a goer for sure.

We have discussed the 'two HT's or a fex issue and I understand your rationale.

Is this a 1750 list? If you drop the stealers you could have Yrngyrl or two smaller units perhaps.

Biggest thing is for the tervies to be troops you need two units of termagaunts. So how about dropping the stealers for 8 Yrngyrl and whatever is left in a unit of basic termag's?

Otherwise dont listen to the detractors - they just dont know how to use them and the list looks fine.

If i drop the toxin sacs on 1 of the Tervigons i can swap out the genestealers for 5 Ymgarl and 10 basic termagants although to me this seems like 2 easy kill points for someone so i really don't know. Venomthropes seem like a good idea to give a large area a 5+ cover which would be great, but with them only being T4 the are quite expensive to give gaunts a 30% change of surviving?

I liked the idea of the Broodlord simply for challenging big characters like Draigo and Archon because he can nulify them with a psychic test but i guess by the time a marine unit has overwatched with re rolls etc there might not be much of the unit left.

The HT, 2 Tervigons, 2 Tyranofexes, 20 gaunts with devourers and the doom are pretty much set in stone but im really unsure what to spend the remaining points on. Aeigis defence line? haha!
(21-12-2012, 08:22 PM)Embolden Wrote: I'd like the echo Matts thoughts, have you considered a harpy? these things look pretty evil and will make for a great distraction!

They do look mean! N yeah i guess it wouldn't be ignored by anyone that valued their lives! ill do some maths n see if it would fit. My only concern is synapse. If it is not in range for any reason or it decides to fly off (would be my fault Tongue) and fails its test (LD 10 so not likely, but still....) itl be grounded as it cant move. Easy pickings for someone with AP4 weapons. GOOOOOOD im such a pessimist lol
Ok how about

Hive Tyrant with Wings, Old Adversary, Hive Commander, 2 x T/L b/l Devourers

Tervigon with toxin sacs and catalyst x 2 - Troops

Tyranofex with what you said

Trygon Prime

17 Termagaunts in Spore

Doom in Spore

10 Termagaunts

1850pts

For 1750 drop the Prime and try a Harpie - you can magnetise the same model. But 1850 is the standard comp size these days. (Though Battlefield Brum is 1750)
i stop useing nids now but i had a few 6th edition games
strealers at 16pts do indeed now suck (no flank charge and random charge/new fleet means extra turn of shots (plus overwatch) just nerfs them if they brought back the 4+ save they be fine
i find hormagunts with the better run rule to still be viable and its very easy to get alot (60 with toxin sacs is 480pts)
never ever go carnifex but hive tyrents/terivgons/harpys/trygons are all gd choices (never used tranyofex) doom is still op as before
all in all play smart and they can still be competivie and rewarding i would run them but i loved genestrealers too much (5th edition list had 40 plus 60 hormagunts Big Grin)
(22-12-2012, 12:19 AM)sprogmcjob Wrote: i stop useing nids now but i had a few 6th edition games
strealers at 16pts do indeed now suck (no flank charge and random charge/new fleet means extra turn of shots (plus overwatch) just nerfs them if they brought back the 4+ save they be fine
i find hormagunts with the better run rule to still be viable and its very easy to get alot (60 with toxin sacs is 480pts)
never ever go carnifex but hive tyrents/terivgons/harpys/trygons are all gd choices (never used tranyofex) doom is still op as before
all in all play smart and they can still be competivie and rewarding i would run them but i loved genestrealers too much (5th edition list had 40 plus 60 hormagunts Big Grin)

I love the idea of the Ymgarl stealers but I played them the other night n I lost the whole unit to overwatch which really sucked. Especially with all the psychic powers knocking about its just not gonna happen. The 'big bugs' seem to be the most competitive units so I'm definatly gonna look into the Trygon prime that matt mentioned! An extra synapse creature could come in handy n he seems pretty tough too!
Right guys........ After playing a few games with the list that follows, Two things have become apparent. Firstly Tyranofexes rarely get their points back (although when they do it tends to be pretty spectacular). Secondly.............. Grounding tests suck!

Hive tyrant with 2 TL brainleech devourers, wings, old adversary (Units within 6 gain preferd enemy), hive commander (helps with reserves and gives outflank)

2 Tervigons with catalyst (FNP) and toxin sacs (4+ poison, mainly for spawned haunts)

20 gaunts with devourers in a pod

10 standard gaunts

Doom in a pod

6 ymgarl genestealers (actually play better than I expected)

2 Tyranofexes with rupture cannons and 2+ flamer

So.... I'm seriously considering dropping a tyranofex which would give me another 250ish points to play with but I'm struggling to decide on what to take instead. Any thoughts?
2 trygon primes i perfer