Poll: Can Imotekh's Lord of Storm effect flyers on a roll of a 6
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yep
57.14%
4 57.14%
Nope
42.86%
3 42.86%
Total 7 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Imotekh the Stomlord Lord of Storm ability vs. Flyers
Interestingly, it crossed my mind, what about Frazzle the Ork psychic power?
40k: Bloodimps (Custom Blood Angels chapter )

"Cake for the cake god!"
(19-10-2012, 12:02 PM)Embolden Wrote: I also have thought of a fun situation, the Warlord trait makes Immotekh scoring, he stands on a objective with skyfire, can he now "shoot" at a flyer with lightning attack?

I'd say the skyfire objective shouldn't have an effect on it because again it's not a shooting attack...!
40K - Dark Angels, Dark Eldar, Necrons; Lord of the Rings - lots; Bloodbowl - Dwarves, Wood Elves; SAGA - Anglo Danes & Welsh; Guildball - Morticians, Engineers; Dropzone/fleet - Shaltari
(19-10-2012, 02:55 PM)Sincilbanks Wrote: Interestingly, it crossed my mind, what about Frazzle the Ork psychic power?

well, frazzle has a profile like a weapon and I assume it's a psychic shooting attack and used in the shooting phase? plus it has 'blast' under it's profile so no it can't hit a flyer - it's a (psychic) shooting attack that can't snap fire.
40K - Dark Angels, Dark Eldar, Necrons; Lord of the Rings - lots; Bloodbowl - Dwarves, Wood Elves; SAGA - Anglo Danes & Welsh; Guildball - Morticians, Engineers; Dropzone/fleet - Shaltari
Fair point on the blast, actually that stops it hitting flyers you're right...
40k: Bloodimps (Custom Blood Angels chapter )

"Cake for the cake god!"
Gah, Chris swats them both out the sky! Looks like those flyers have everything going for them Wink :p

Second sentence in the FAQ answer says any "attacks" it doesn't specify shooting or psychic attacks, the necon's ability is an attack so can't hit zooming flyers, if they are hovering to deploy troops or something though they're fair game.

even with that though is a really tasty ability
No you are right I dont need any more models......but it's so shiney

40K & WFB - Chaos daemons, BFG - Imperial, Warmachine - Cygnar,Retribution and Skorne. Blood Bowl - Chaos,dwarves,humans.
Only one thing with me is that it is the wording at the start, as it says unengaged enemy unit on the battlefield. Which means flyers dont count. Might just be me.
Fliers really do need so much errata and faq ing and the recent updates to the rule book and codex's faq's really didn't deal with most of it so im sure problems like this one and are going to just keep popping up. Until then I'd suggest just look at the general rulings and unless something specifically states it is an exception to then then the general rules stand if you try and house rule on each special ability due to its nature , in this case because its lightning, the games suddenly get very bogged down . For instance since its a lightning attack it could be argued the other way that since lightning does damage when it earths through something then anything not in contact with the ground directly or through something its on is immune to the attack, might be true may not be buts a reasonable sounding argument that could bog a game down and I'm all sure we've met players who try stuff like that in the past :-p
No you are right I dont need any more models......but it's so shiney

40K & WFB - Chaos daemons, BFG - Imperial, Warmachine - Cygnar,Retribution and Skorne. Blood Bowl - Chaos,dwarves,humans.
(19-10-2012, 05:43 PM)jimbobabob Wrote: Second sentence in the FAQ answer says any "attacks" it doesn't specify shooting or psychic attacks, the necon's ability is an attack so can't hit zooming flyers, if they are hovering to deploy troops or something though they're fair game.

even with that though is a really tasty ability

Sorry to reply again and be pedantic, but my reading of this

Q: How do maelstroms, novas and beams – or indeed any weapon
that doesn’t need to roll To Hit or hits automatically – interact with
Zooming Flyers and Swooping Flying Monstrous Creatures? (p13)
A: Only Snap Shots can hit Zooming Flyers and Swooping
Flying Monstrous Creatures. Therefore, any attacks that use
blast markers, templates, create a line of/area of effect or
otherwise don’t roll to hit cannot target them. This includes
weapons such as the Necron Doom Scythe’s death ray or the
Deathstrike missile of the Imperial Guard, and psychic
powers that follow the rule for maelstroms, beams, and
novas.

Is that any weapons shooting at the Flyer need to be snap shots. Blasts/beams/novas etc either can't fire as snap shots and/or don't roll to hit so can't hit Flyers. The 'attacks' refers to ones that use balst markers etc. The question is about weapons that don't roll to hit. Imotekhs ability is not a weapon or psychic shooting attack, and it is certainly not one that automatically hits. It doesn't fire at snap shots because it doesn't 'fire'. It needs a separate FAQ and this Q/A doesn't cover it.

Personally I don't use Imotekh, so I'm not arguing out of any personal interest. I would allow Imotekhs ability to hit flyers if i played him, if others wouldn't then I can see why not as it's not been FAQ'd and the rules are not specific enough. I'm now going to remain silent on this issue as I think I've said enough!
(20-10-2012, 01:28 PM)jaqenhgar Wrote: Personally I don't use Imotekh, so I'm not arguing out of any personal interest. I would allow Imotekhs ability to hit flyers if i played him, if others wouldn't then I can see why not as it's not been FAQ'd and the rules are not specific enough. I'm now going to remain silent on this issue as I think I've said enough!

Yeah, Get back in your corner Chris! lol ;-)
Dropfleet Commander: UCM
Dropzone Commander: UCM
Star Wars X-Wing: Rebel Alliance
Magic the Gathering
LotR SBG: High Elves
Warhammer 40,000 7th ed.: Astra Militarum & Eldar
Halo Fleet Battles: Covenant
BFG: Imperial Navy & Eldar Corsairs
Warhammer Fantasy 8th ed.: Warriors of Chaos

Element Games referral code JAS173.