Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Getting Started with FoW WW2
Nice one Steve.

Nearly everything I have is now based.

Just a British infantry company to go, and some German odds and ends.

Some of the German armour is primed and base coated. I'll start painting them once they're all based and the cutlass! figures for Salute are complete.

The full 3rd Edition rules package is very nice.

Apologies to Paul for missing last weeks game. We can reschedule for a couple of weeks time.

Si
After chatting to Simon, I have picked up the 3rd edition rulebook and 5 Soviet T-34's have been ordered. Working my way through the rulebook I am liking the look of things, slightly confused about how Firepower and allocating hits work, but sure nothing that an intro game won't cure!

Looking around it seems people go for a Russian horde of infantry or max out on tanks, but I'd like to take both really. I'm thinking a horde of Russians supported by a horde of T-34's but not sure what can take out heavy German armour...unless I just ignore it! Anyone got any tips on putting a Russian force together?
40K - Dark Angels, Dark Eldar, Necrons; Lord of the Rings - lots; Bloodbowl - Dwarves, Wood Elves; SAGA - Anglo Danes & Welsh; Guildball - Morticians, Engineers; Dropzone/fleet - Shaltari
Chris...welcome aboard the FoW wagon..

The Russians have some decent armour. But look out for the "hen and chicks" rule.

Anti-Tank and Firepower rules are pretty simple.

Eg. T34/85 hits a Tiger 1E on front armour, from a distance of 12". BANG!
T34/84 has AT of 12, Tiger 1E front armour is 9.
German player makes an armour save roll and rolls a 2 (typical), adds this to the 9 (9+2=11)
This is less than the AT rating of the T34/85. So the Tiger is in trouble, it's either going to be destroyed or the crew will bail.
The firepower of the T34 is 3, so the Russian player needs to roll 3 or more to knock the tank out, 1 or 2 and the crew bail out.

If the german player had rolled a 3, then adding this to the armour rating would equal 12, the same as the AT rating of the T34/85. In this case the Russian player takes a firepower test and if 3 or more is scored the crew of the Tiger bail out, 1 or 2 and the Tiger escapes.

Allocating hits is pretty straight forward, the general rule of thumb seems to be that hits are allocated to the more expendable sections of a platoon first. You can select a priority target type when the platoon is mixed, and hits are directed to sections of that type first. If this involves armour, then hits are allocated by matching up the weakest armour with the lowest anti-tank rating.

On to the Russkies..it's all about massed formations. But you can work it quite well I think.

As a start, I'd upgrade all the T34's to T34/85. Unless you want to retain the fast mobility of the earlier t34.

Tank Killer company, SU85 is good, but the su100 has an AT factor of 16 ! (Slow and overloaded tho). This means that a hit on the front of a Tiger 1E is a guaranteed kill or bail..nice !

Gds hvy tank coy, KV-85 is good, and the IS2 is excellent.
Gds hvy assault gun copy, ISU-122 is a good all rounder.

Guards units are not affected by the hen and chicks rule.

Artillery wise, look at the 152mm howitzers. Over iron sights they have AT of 10 @ 24", and 5 with normal firing which is pretty good.

I can see my Germans coming in for a pasting here !

Si
Any tips on building an LRDG/SAS themed force would be appreciated too.
Figures painted in 2016: 4 Blush
"What this game needs is a panda with a chaingun."
I'll have a think about that one.

You could always sell them to me 8¬)

Si
LOL!

Do they clash with a force that you're assembling Si?
nah, they fit right in, I'm doing North Africa 8th Army to take on Pauls DAK (with the short sleeves).

Just trying to help out and reduce your painting load 8¬)
(23-04-2012, 12:31 PM)Simon Wrote: Just trying to help out and reduce your painting load 8¬)

Big Grin

I reckon I can paint that pair of 15mm jeeps by...next year! (Don't hold me to that though).
Thanks for the tips Simon. Firepower and allocation make a lot more sense now. I was thinking the fast 32" tank moves might help get side armour, but maybe it'd be better having AT12 instead of 9 then. Will have to try them both out! The Artillery looks good, and the Russians some nice rules for their artillery. Massed artillery fire, followed by a T34 tank rush supported by a horde of Russians sounds fun! Bombardments hitting on top armour from the 152mm howitzers sounds good as well...

Will have a play around with some lists and read about some of the Eastern front battles in '44 and '45 over the next couple of weeks.
40K - Dark Angels, Dark Eldar, Necrons; Lord of the Rings - lots; Bloodbowl - Dwarves, Wood Elves; SAGA - Anglo Danes & Welsh; Guildball - Morticians, Engineers; Dropzone/fleet - Shaltari
Stu,

For your LRDG/SAS jeep patrols there is a supplement available online here.

700 points maximum. Looks like if you go with an LRDG force you can mix LRDG and SAS, but the SAS force operates alone.

Si