Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Necro Campaign Scenarios
Treasure Island Comments:

Great idea. I like the idea of Mad Jake's Island.

I like the booby traps. I might expand these further though with some additional random 'unseen' traps (i.e. no markers) set off by trip wires and so on. You could rule these on an 'If you run roll d6, on a 1 something happens = trip wire, covered pit, falling debris, etc. In the Necro expansions you can get dogs and I like the idea of Mad Jake having a couple of dogs with him - after all he is up against TWO gangs!

I think the restrictions when picking up the loot are a bit too heavy, it's relatively small stuff, the gang would come prepared with shoulder stuff bags or whatever, suggest you use rules as per standard Scavenger scenario, so you can carry more than one loot and you can still shoot... Of course if there was 1 or two pieces of special heavy loot, you can see it locked in a heavy box/safe but can't get it open there and then, then one man can slowly drag (1/2 speed?), or two can carry, then that's a different idea again...

Smile
History is written by the victors - Sir Winston Churchill
Thanks for the feedback Paul. I'll have a look at the dog rules, I have a couple of dogs from Lotr (farmer maggot and hounds) which could be used. I like the idea he's booby trapped the whole island and has seen the gangs approach and is lying in wait. Think you're right about the loot, maybe we could just make the 'shiny' loot heavy, being locked in a crate or something. Of course mad jake doesn't stand a chance against two fully armed gangs, but then he's going to attack anyway, being totally unhinged!

Will update the scenario later. Do you think the loot itself is ok? Ie is it too much or too little? I wanted to put in a couple of nice rare items, and having the creds added directly to the stash means they count for more.
40K - Dark Angels, Dark Eldar, Necrons; Lord of the Rings - lots; Bloodbowl - Dwarves, Wood Elves; SAGA - Anglo Danes & Welsh; Guildball - Morticians, Engineers; Dropzone/fleet - Shaltari
(25-09-2012, 09:51 AM)jaqenhgar Wrote: Do you think the loot itself is ok? Ie is it too much or too little? I wanted to put in a couple of nice rare items, and having the creds added directly to the stash means they count for more.

Good question! Having thought about it some...

Again I looked at the Scavenger scenario for an 'official' loot related guide. The loot is only 1d6 markers, value 1d6*5 creds each. So on average you would be fighting over 3.5 markers worth 17.5 creds = 61 creds TOTAL.

Here you are guaranteeing 110 creds + gear + shiny gear. In this simple comparison that's A LOT!!! The risk for the game designer must ultimately be that one player gets the lot, after all he who is left on the battlefield takes all remaining loot.

So knee jerk would be to reduce by half.

However, generally in the spirit of gaming fun then I think the metric is: The higher the risk, the greater the reward...

Consequently, you could up the anti on risk. All loot has a 50/50 chance of being booby trapped 1-3 on d6, by (I am so) Mad Jake. You then have a list of traps, some of which are very nasty. At this level of reward you have to be looking at serious risk of death. So at very least a major blast that automatically takes you out, has a chance of destroying your kit, (and the loot destroyed!), showers you in acid, etc.

Maybe in the aftermath the 'free' loot that's left hidden is 'obviously' the hardest to find and most likely to be trapped (-1 on the roll)...

As an extra... there is room to make this a three or four player scenario. One player becomes Mad Jake and his menagerie. And once attacked Jake might have an emergency help button to press, either some space marines arrive after 3 turns (3 player), or jake has a deal with another gang and gang three comes in to defend/rescue him for half of his treasure (un-trapped!).

Really cool idea this mate - lots of potential...

Nice ideas! I agree greater rewards should come with more risks. However, if it gets too nasty and someones gang loses more than one member, it will really hamper them in the campaign, particularly as its in its early stages. I will look at reducing the rewards slightly and increasing the risks slightly.

I really like the idea of a three or four player game, although I think it might need more notice to organise, and having Mad Jake call on another gang for aid seems cool. I don't think fluff wise he would have links to Space Marines, and probably one space marine could waste an entire gang, but callling for aid from a third gang seems cool.

How about keeping this scenario fairly simple so people can play it as the second game next month (as an option, not a necessity), this one on a D6 roll of 1-3 and the zombie one Vince is doing on the roll of a 4-6. We could then have a 'return to Treasure Island' scenario the next month (November), organising a 3 or 4 player battle? In fact Mad Jake and his gang buddies could spread rumours among the trading post that more loot is to be found, then lay in wait and ambush the three gangs that come along - maybe mad jake is in cahoots with an outlaw band of scavvies or ratskins (the locals) or he's actually the head of a pit-slave gang.

regarding the booby trapped loot, ruthless gang leaders could send in the juves to recover the treasure, as if their kit gets destroyed it doesn't matter so much - at last I can see a use for my orphan with a head wound ' Boy'! Maybe he needs a lobo-chip...
40K - Dark Angels, Dark Eldar, Necrons; Lord of the Rings - lots; Bloodbowl - Dwarves, Wood Elves; SAGA - Anglo Danes & Welsh; Guildball - Morticians, Engineers; Dropzone/fleet - Shaltari
I will attempt to finalise these two scenarios tonight, so that they can be played if people choose from tomorrow.

I'd like to encourage people to play a different scenario to the gang fight one this month, maybe a random roll like they suggest in the rules, and if both players agree they can play one of these 'special' narrative scenarios this month. These can only be played this month, and only one special scenario can be played per player this month. ie in your first game if you choose the special scenario, you cannot play it again for your second game.

I thought about making it just the second game, but that might be too restrictive and the whole point is to have fun...
I'll bring the desert island table in next week (9th) for anyone who wants to use that. Might even have a bash at trying to finish it first...
Figures painted in 2016: 4 Blush
"What this game needs is a panda with a chaingun."
Ok haven't polished up the zombie one yet, but here is the finished treasure island scenario available to play from this week until the end of october:

The Treasure Island

Going from rumours and a scrap of old map scrawled on the hide of a swamp beast, you venture out across the chem. Sea. Using a combination of millennia old walkways and improvised rafts, you finally spot the island, a heap of twisted plascreet and metal rising in front of you through the murk. Just as you step upon the island, eager to seize your rightful loot, you realise you are not alone, and one of your rivals has found the island at exactly the same time! You unholster your guns and loosen your knives in your belts, there’s fightin’ to be done!

Set –up

Place terrain as normal (take it in turns to place terrain or just agree how you want it). You might want to use Stuart’s treasure island board, otherwise the edge of the board counts as the ‘waters’ edge. Set up the 10 loot counters at least 12” away from the two player table edges, and at least 4” from another loot counter (players may alternate placing counters). You will need two loot counters with '1' on them, three with '2', one with '3', two with '4', one with '5', and one with '6'. They should be shuffled and placed face down without either player knowing which is which.

Gangs

Once all counters have been placed, players roll off, the low scorer picks which table edge they wil enter on, his opponent picks the opposite edge.

The gangs arrive at the island either by a ramshackle and leaky boat, or across a narrow walkway (the island is probably two or three miles from the ‘mainland’, but it’s hard to see that far in the murky underhive).

Therefore do not deploy any gang members, gangs move onto the board from a point of entry 3” wide of their choosing on their own table edge (rolled for as normal).

Starting the game

Players roll off and the higher scoring player takes the first turn.

Special rules

This is basically a fight for the loot! When a model moves on top of a loot counter that counter is revealed and if it’s loot, it can be picked up as per the normal rules for loot (see Scavengers scenario). A number is on the bottom of each counter, refer to this list (number in brackets is the number of counters of this type). Note that you cannot immediately equip any equipment found, you must wait till next time you play.

1 Booby trapped! The ganger is hurled back 3” and takes an automatic S3 hit. Any ganger approaching within 2” of the counter from now on sets the trap off again (2)
2 a bag of loot worth 10 creds (3)
3 a bag of loot worth 30 creds (1)
4 Equipment: roll a D6: 1 = smoke bomb; 2 = weapon reload (basic of your choice); 3 = infra-goggles; 4 = concealed blade; 5 = mesh armour; 6 = grav chute (2)
5 Shiny equipment : roll a D3: 1 = medi-pack; 2 = isotropic fuel rod; 3 = needle pistol (1)
6 Mad Jake; This is Mad Jake’s island! Place Mad Jake and his two dogs in base contact with the ganger, they are locked in combat and Jake counts as charging. He has the profile of a gang leader and is armed with an autopistol and a sword. He is subject to the rules for frenzy. If he wins the combat he and his dogs will move towards the closest visible ganger, of either gang, charging if he can, and firing his pistol if not. If no gangers are visible he and his dogs will move D6” in a random direction – roll the scatter dice. The dogs follow the rules for dogs found here: http://files.sigil.biz/data/fo_021_stay!...od_boy.pdf and copied below (1)

Dogs: profile M6 WS4 BS- S3 T3 W1 I3 A1 Ld- equipped with claws and teeth
Dogs are immune to fear, don’t test to keep their nerve and must remain within 18” of Mad Jake. Mad Jake’s dogs have rabies (and so does Mad Jake) and are subject to the rules for frenzy. Any ganger taken down or out by a dog suffers from frenzy during the next game, after which time a cure is found.
Furthermore, Mad Jake has set up some hidden traps which the unwary ganger will trip. If a model runs, roll a D6: on a 1 they don’t notice the hidden trip wire and fall flat on their face/garrotte themselves/get hit by some flying missile - the model is immediately pinned and takes a S2 hit.

Ending the game

The gangs have travelled a long and dangerous path to get here, and are ready for a scrap, so will only have to start taking bottle rolls when reduced to 50% of their starting number.

The game ends when one gang fails their bottle roll, or all loot counters have been removed from the table.

Any gangers holding loot counters when the game ends due to one gang bottling it is counted as having escaped with that counter (even if they are on the losing side). The winner claims all unclaimed loot counters, unless Mad Jake is still standing, in which case they make a hasty retreat and any unclaimed loot counters remain unclaimed.

Experience

+D6 for surviving gang members
+5 Exp for recovering a loot counter (not for unclaimed loot that the winning gang receives)
+5 Exp for each wounding hit
+10 Exp for the winning gang leader
+1 Exp for each wounding hit on a dog

The Creds found as loot are added directly to your stash.
Nice one...

Happy to play this tonight...........Big Grin
Sounds good Smile
Just getting acquainted with the Treasure Island scenario for tonight - just to confirm, the placement advantage afforded by my tunnels and Infiltrate ability don't apply?

The tunnels wouldn't fit with the spirit of the scenario anyway, the island itself being separated from the mainland by walkways and chem sea. Could the Infiltrate ability allow for a gang member to sneak onto the island, perhaps sent ahead to reconnoiter?

Figures painted in 2016: 4 Blush
"What this game needs is a panda with a chaingun."