Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Adventures in the US. a.k.a. GenCon
Ok quick update on my trip.

Monday afternoon, I drove up to Manchester airport, arrived at a hotel, grabbed some dinner, and fell asleep.

Tuesday involved getting up at 6a.m. flying near enough over my destination, spending 90 minutes at immigration in Chicago, only to then fly back towards Britain, and land in Indianapolis. After a 20 minute shuttle we got to the hotel, which is THE hotel in Indianapolis, had a shower and set off with the rest of Geek Nation tours, for some dinner. We arrived at a micro-brewery called the RAM, which is the Warmahordes destination. At what was around 11pm local, or 5am UK, I headed back for some sleep.

Wednesday morning, it was time for a short adventure, around the city. First up was a trip to a Museum, which to be frank was not the most ingesting of places, but what they hey. Then a walk along side a canal, through a memorial park, and a slice of Pizza. I then separated from the rest of the group, for a further walk, and ended up back at the hotel. In the evening we were presented with our tickets, at a welcome dinner, by Megan the head organiser for GenCon, had a talk from the President of Stronghold Games, a games developer, Eric Johns and Casey Jones of Wyrd (who presented us with freebies, of the new items,) and finally the D6 Generation folk.

Thursday is where the magic happened. After a shower, all you can eat Pancakes, it was time to get ready for the vendor hall opening. At this point, i got to meet some Malifaux folks I have been seeking to. A mad rush to the Wyrd booth, saw me shell out $250, by which time the PP stall had a line looping their booth 3 times. Drop my purchases back in the hotel, and off for a 25ss story encounter. 3 rounds of 1 hour, was tough, and I finished with a record of 0/1/2 with the 1 being a 0-0. That lasted 12-4, and at 4 it was time for Puppet Wars. I discovered that I had rules wrong (so I will need to do PW correcting,) but the plastics are awesome for Puppet Wars. This event was being run, by Bill Anderson, of the Gamers Lounge, so I had a really good chat with him. Dispite finishing dead last, in PW, it was a lot more tactical, then I imagined. That left me after some lunch around 9pm, and I bumped into Conrad Gonsalves and Jon Webb, of the BoostedDamage podcast. At 10 I headed to one of my scenarios for Warmahordes, but that didn't happen. Although I had a 23:00-00:00 time slot, it appears its a pay and play type of thing, and most others had payed and played during the day. If I fancy I am welcome to head over some other time, which is now good to know.

Today (Friday) I have more Malifaux scheduled, but more important is True Dungeon. Photos will follow. Also I have details of Wyrds prize support programme, which may affect us. It should go live this weekend, but I can fill folks in whe I get back, if it's not terribly self explanatory.
Star Wars Legion - Rebels
Guildball - Alchemists
Blood Bowl - Lizardmen
OK time an update for everyone.

Yeterday morning 8 of us, from the tour assembled to try True Dungeon. On the whole I was not overly impressed with it. I think the combat one, would have been more involved, but the puzzle adventure, was a little lacking.

I chose to skip a terrain building class in order to chill, and at 4pm it was time for more Malifaux. This time i did better with a 2/0/1 result, but an 8-1 defeat in the second round hurt my differentials. That game was also against my room mate, and the person I travelled over with. Which was a little disappinting.

Again, after walking and shopping, and just generally taking things in, i skipped an evening Green Stuff class, to go out with the tour. After quite a wait, 10 of us had, what for me was an amazing meal.

Today being Saturday was about one thing. The Masters of Malifaux. With 5 events to qualify for Sundays invitational, not qualifying from two, skipping one, and having another held during my TD run, this was my last shot. So knowing that, I headed straight past the registration booth, and thought its time to explore the vendors hall. So my days has been filled with looking and spending. Tonight I have a late night Magic Event, which I intend to make.
Star Wars Legion - Rebels
Guildball - Alchemists
Blood Bowl - Lizardmen