Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Caledonian 2015 build up and tournament thread!
Day2:

GAME4: Scouring and Dawn of War

Sam Dickinson
Alliance level: single detachment
Combined Arms detachment: Necrons

HQ1 Necron Overlord [90] + warscythe [10] + mindshackle scarabs [15] + sempiternal weave [15] + phase shifter [45] = 175 [warlord]
• Catacomb Command Barge = 80

• 5 Crypteks [125] + 2× Harbinger of Destruction [20] + 3× Harbinger of the Storm = 145

HQ2 Necron Overlord [90] + warscythe [10] + mindshackle scarabs [15] + sempiternal weave [15] + phase shifter [45] = 175
• Catacomb Command Barge = 80

• 5 Crypteks [125] + 2× Harbinger of Destruction [20] + 3× Harbinger of the Storm = 145

Troops 1, 5 Necron Warriors = 65
• Night Scythe = 100
Troops 2, 5 Necron Warriors = 65
• Night Scythe = 100
Troops 3, 5 Necron Warriors = 65
• Night Scythe = 100
Troops 4, 5 Necron Warriors = 65
• Night Scythe = 100
Troops 5, 7 Necron Immortals [119]+ tesla carbines= 119

Heavy Support 1, Annihilation Barge = 90
Heavy Support 2, Annihilation Barge = 90
Heavy Support 3, Annihilation Barge = 90

1,849 points

So Day2 begins against Necrons and a list designed purely to beat Serpents and Imperial Knights, Sam took great pleasure is saying he's beat 2 Serpent players so far by tabling wins... So he's obviously going to know what to do.

But I've thought ALOT about this match up and how I will play it, so I have a clear strategy in mind.

I win the roll for sides, giving up 2 LOS blocking terrain and 2 objectives for 3 objectives... I lose the roll to deploy first, but same hands me the initiative.

TURN1
After Sam deployed both Bargelords behind LoS blocking terrain he then deployed the Immortals and 2 lance Crypteks centrally and then 3 Annihilation barges opposite my army. So I took turn1, removed the Immortals and both Crypteks both didn't get back up, so thats Firststrike, Annihilation barges both had 3+ cover and saved all 4 Wraithknight cannons hits and wounds. I did however get a unit of Daemonettes to misshap into reserve.

Sams turn1 sees him move and turbo both barge lords to where the Immortals were, all 3 Annibarges lined up a Wraithknight. Sam puts 3 wounds on the Wraithknight and that was it.

TURN2
I place the Daemonettes in such away the Annibarges cannot get out the corner unless they move super close to the Wraithknights which both back away from the Bargelords. Shooting sees both barge lords killed and only 1 gets back up. The 1 Annihilation barge is stripped of all its Hps by Serpent Shields and another reduced to 1.

Sam only gets 1 flyer on from reserve this turn, the Stormteks, Sam shoots into the Daemonettes and Wraithknight, doing little to both! The Bargelord does charge a Wraithknight, its masses Mindshackles and stomps it into the ground, it does not get back up.

TURN3
I shoot down the Flyer and Kill a Annihilation barge with Daemonettes, the other is too well hidden and I've been defensive with the Wraithknights just incase the bargelords get into my lines.

Only 1 more flyer comes on, stormteks again, does no damage and the Warriors that fell out the last Scythe come on and kill all but one deamonette.

TURN4
I jump over 1 Wraithknight and kill the Warriors and kill the Annihilation barge, the Serpents fail to kill the flyer.. leaving it on one HP...

Sams turn4 and he gets everything on, he kills 1 Serpent and does damage to another.

My turn5
I'm fulling pushing now, I'm on all but the 1pt objective, but I'm sure I've made a big mistake, to typing this out to find out how as at the time I cannot work out if I could have played it any better, basically I have 2 Chimeras and 1 of the Shadow Weaves on an objective bottom right worth 3pts, a Fire Dragon Serpent (with Fire Dragons) on a 3pt objective top right, centrally I have a unit of Horrors (8 of them) on a 2pt objective surrounding it. Both Wraithknights are out of range to any other objective so move to help contest the Fire Dragon objective, leaving 1 Avenger squad on the central objective. I do nothing in my shooting phase as everything misses or has flat out.

Sam jumps off 5 Warriors and Lanceteks to kill off the Avengers centrally, but fail, 2 survive (objective contested), he moves the Warriors to take the 3pts objective from the Fire Dragons and Wraithknights as they're obsec, so shoots them into the Horrors and kills 8 of them.. leaving them out of range, leaving the 4pt objective till last using the last Warrior squad to shoot up the Avenger Serpent killing it, but he deployed the warriors in such away I cannot get onto the that objective..

If the game ends..

Ive won secondary by 11-1, tertary 3-0 and primary I lose 7-3...

the game ends... 10-10 draw.. if the game goes on. I win 20-0. as I turbo the mantle seer onto the central objective which he cannot get to a Wraithknight kills the Warriors on the fire Dragon objective, the 4pt, will be lost probably, but I summon screamers to grab the 1pt objective, leaving me on 9 and and sam at most can capture 6, then he has to survive my shooting phase.. which I have 2 Serpents, 2 Chimeras and Shadow Weavers and 4 Shrieks to kill 2 units of Warriors..
Gutted! But at least it wasnt a loss and my objective for the weekend of 3 wins and a draw had been achieved.

This leaves me on 65pts out of 80

GAME5 Crusade, Hammer and Anvil

I would be facing off against: Courtney Rhodes and his Greentide army!

Co Rhodes
Alliance level: Formation/Battle Brothers
COMBINED ARMS DETACHMENT: Orks!!!

HQ1 : Ork warboss (60) bike (25) boss pole (5) power claw (25) da lucky stick(25) =140 HQ2 : mad doc grotsnik =160
Elite1 : 7 tank busta boys=91
Troop 1 : 10 boys (60) nob (10) boss pole (5) in transport 1=75 Troop 2 : 11 boys (66) nob (10) boss pole (5) =81
FA1: 4 deff coptas =120
HS1: 15 lootas =210
HS2: looted wagon (37) killcannon (30) reinforced ram (5) =72 HS3: looted wagon (37) killcannon (30) reinforced ram (5) =72
Transport1 : truck with rocket (30) reinforced ram (5)=35
Total =1056

Green tide formation : codex ghazskull
HQ1 : Ork warboss (60) evy armour (4) power claw (25)=89 (warlord)
Troop 1 : 10 boys (60) nob (10) power claw (25) =95
10 boys (60) nob (10) power claw (25) =95
10 boys (60) nob (10) power claw (25) =95
10 boys =60 10 boys =60 10 boys =60
10 boys =60 10 boys =60
10 boys =60 10 boys =60

Total= 794 Grand total = 1850

Okay so my first thought is we're never getting to turn5 let alone 6, so going last would be massive, I then tried to get lucky and failed, putting 4 objectives an one side and 2 on the other.. I then lost the roll for sides and basically this handed Co the win... or so it felt at the time.

Co didn't get first strike and I did, killing Deff Coptas and both looted wagons turn1 to kill some mobility. As Co moves super super super quick, I had no room to summon as didn't want a bad scatter and for Co to get an easy charge and a full tide in my deployment zone turn2 or 3.

The rest of the game is basically a stalemate of him putting his entire greentide 24.1” basically half way across the table away from me as he can move, run then assault so has basically a 24” threat range and if I advance I will get multi assaulted and then wiped from the table, so he sweeps up 2 maelstrom cards per turn, I get seriously bad tactical objectives all of the objectives ones are on his board edge or hold double his objectives etc as I can hardly generate any... 2 per turn, I give up on that turn3 when I draw more crappy ones.. I remove everything bar a handfull of boys from 1 squad, 1 unit of boys that started in reserve a truck and about 20 boys + characters from the tide. So I've done a lot of damage. Going into turn 5, Co has 2 objectives, I have 1 and 1 in the open, uncontested, so in my turn 5 I move the mantle seer to get linebreaker, summon screamers get that 3rd objective and if the game ends I lose narrowly 9-11

But it doesn't.. the game goes to turn6, but we have about 5mins to play it, so just talk it through and co wins 16-4.

He wins primary 9-3 as he easily kills 3 Screamers or move the truck to contest that objective, the boys assault mantle seer and will kill him, but will string back to stay on the objective they are on, Co wins secondary by a crazy amount to my 1 or 2 points and I win tertiary 2-0. As I have more screamers waiting for linebreaker.

A very interesting game, not entirely enjoyable to be hemmed into a corner for 6 turns and neither of us wanting to commit.. well, he could have, I couldn't have as I would have been tabled, Co was an excellent player and extremely friendly. He was super quick at moving the tide and had some excellent ideas about how to speed up his play like moving the back row in my turns (but saying in his turn where he would move the majority and the important models). So we easily fit in 5 turns and 6 we could have played rushed by just needed a few seconds to play through.

This left me on 69/100pts.

So a poor day 2 really just picking up the 14 out of 40pts.

This left me in 28th place, my personal objectives were both met, top30 and 3wins and draw as minimum, but it could have been so much more had both games today ended when I wanted. But thats how this game is sometimes, as disappointing as it is, I have had plenty of games that have ended with me clinging to the edge of disaster only for the game to end turn5 and I've won! So the dice gods give with one hand and take with the order, we have to accept this and move on as I'd done everything I could have.

As for the list, well, it did okay, wasn't impressed much by the inquisition or the second farseer, mantle farseer was awesome, Serpents did great, Dragons only saw action in one game... dire avengers were excellent, Wraithknights did very well, shadow weavers.. 60pts to hide a warlord that didn't die once, yeah, they did well, but didn't do any damage in any game...

So a few tweaks before the GT Final and thats 1650pts.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Caledonian 2015 build up and tournament thread! - by Embolden - 20-01-2015, 12:37 PM