Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Project
Looking at starting a new project - Not sure if AoS is the way I want to go.

Have never played Warhammer Fantasy, but have played Warmaster (Skaven).

If I was to start a AoS Army what would people recommend as a GOOD army to start with.
Tyranids - They are coming! I feel then scratching inside my mind, scratching, screaming, running, so many - so, so many voices.

40k Adepta Sororitas, Imperial Knights & Tyranids
Blood Bowl Norse - Valhalla Vengeance
Flames of War US 101st Airborne
EPIC AMTL & Black Legion
Warmaster Skaven
Bolt Action US 101st Screaming Eagles
DropZone Resistance
Ogres Tongue You get 3 times more wounds per model then everyone else so even in an even game you have 3 times more wounds to take before death Smile
W40K: Blood Ravens / Orks / Inquisitor / Imperial Guard
Warhammer: Dwarfs
Warmachine: Protectorate of Menoth / Khador / Cygar / Circle
Malifaux: Started Neverborn and Outcasts
With AoS having no points ( being a play with whatever seems fun kind of game ), pick whichever army/models you like the look of best. Me personally I'm waiting for a few of the "new" armies/models to be released to see if I like any of them enough to start a dedicated age of sigmar force.
Warhammer Fantasy Beastmen, Woodelves; Warhammer 40K Dark Eldar, Blood angels, Tyranids; Battlefleet Gothic Imperial, Dark Eldar; Saga Vikings; Guild ball Masons; Dropzone Commander & Dropfleet PHR, UCM(dropfleet only); Lord of the rings Mordor, Gundabad; Beyond the gates of Antares Ghar Outcast Rebels
Quote:"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain."

Been on the web and there seem to be some Tournament types rules appearing that sort of work as a point system.

Army Composition
Games are recommended to be played at 50 or greater points.
For every 25 counted wounds you may take:
– 4 Warscrolls
– 8 Wounds of models with the Hero keyword (only 60% can be spent on a single model, rounding up)
– 6 Wounds of models with the Monster keyword
– 6 Wounds of models with the Warmachine keyword (note that crew Wounds are stilled paid for, but they themselves do not typically have the Warmachine keyword)
– All models with 10 or more wounds must be from the same Compendium
Regardless of Wound Totals
– All named Heroes are 0-1 choices and may not be taken multiple times.
– All unnamed Heroes are 0-2 choices and may not be taken more than twice.
– Models with both the Hero and Monster keyword count against both allowances (and may therefore by limited in some games if only allowed by one of the two categories).
– When a model receives a Wound through an upgrade (for example Blight King Champion upgrade), the bonus is not counted towards your army’s total wounds.
– When a unit exceeds 10 models, receive 2 models for each one purchased with wounds.

Is this something that may happen at Redditch ? As this would 'sort of' control what I do ?
Tyranids - They are coming! I feel then scratching inside my mind, scratching, screaming, running, so many - so, so many voices.

EPIC AMTL & Black Legion
Warmaster Skaven
DropZone Resistance
OK Dave, I have been thinking about how best to respond to this post, and having had a good think here is my reply.

The majority of WFB tournaments have included some form of composition pack, and house rule additions, to in the Tournament organisers eyes, even things up. As with everything, this altered the landscape and sometimes the variety of units, but very rarely did you see much more than two or three builds, for a single race. For example, inefficient units such as Skaven Rat Ogres, never got played no matter what alterations were made. This is in direct contrast to the 40k tournament scene, which seems to embrace imbalance in the game system, to the extreme.

Now Games Workshop has created a game, which without some form of composition system, is very unplayable. Particularly if you are spending perhaps £100 for the weekend (ticket, travel accommodation, etc,) only to have two or three games ruined by someone thats brought an army against the spirit of the game. However with such a departure from the standardised army selection process, there seems to be a huge variety of comp styles coming out.

Personally I am reluctant to pigeon hole the club into one type of composition system (others are free to comment on this, and don't feel that Gareth is making the decision on everybody's part here,) when they are so fresh. People will play the various systems, feedback will be handed in, and TO's will ultimately start standardising their systems. At which point it might be worth looking at adopting a club based comp.

So where does this leave you Dave, with constructing an army. Collect and paint what you want. Go for it, thats I believe is the concept behind AoS dropping points values. Take Rat Ogres, a Black Coach, Flagellants, and have fun. But don't be a douche. You like you knights, and in a game system where you can only take a limited number due to the game size, it keeps their effect limited. When people play AoS you can take as many Dragons as they fancy, but will it be an enjoyable game for either party involved? Not really. So its best not to do it. And if you feel more comfortable with using a comp system, again feel free, just make sure your opponent knows, and is happy with also playing with the same restrictions.

In summary my views are

1 - Collect what you want people,
2 - Don't be a douche when you do it though
3 - If you want to use some restrictions, play someone who is willing to also do that, for your game.
4 - Have fun.
Star Wars Legion - Rebels
Guildball - Alchemists
Blood Bowl - Lizardmen
(25-08-2015, 05:16 PM)Gareth Wrote: OK Dave, I have been thinking about how best to respond to this post, and having had a good think here is my reply.

The majority of WFB tournaments have included some form of composition pack, and house rule additions, to in the Tournament organisers eyes, even things up. As with everything, this altered the landscape and sometimes the variety of units, but very rarely did you see much more than two or three builds, for a single race. For example, inefficient units such as Skaven Rat Ogres, never got played no matter what alterations were made. This is in direct contrast to the 40k tournament scene, which seems to embrace imbalance in the game system, to the extreme.

Now Games Workshop has created a game, which without some form of composition system, is very unplayable. Particularly if you are spending perhaps £100 for the weekend (ticket, travel accommodation, etc,) only to have two or three games ruined by someone thats brought an army against the spirit of the game. However with such a departure from the standardised army selection process, there seems to be a huge variety of comp styles coming out.

Personally I am reluctant to pigeon hole the club into one type of composition system (others are free to comment on this, and don't feel that Gareth is making the decision on everybody's part here,) when they are so fresh. People will play the various systems, feedback will be handed in, and TO's will ultimately start standardising their systems. At which point it might be worth looking at adopting a club based comp.

So where does this leave you Dave, with constructing an army. Collect and paint what you want. Go for it, thats I believe is the concept behind AoS dropping points values. Take Rat Ogres, a Black Coach, Flagellants, and have fun. But don't be a douche. You like you knights, and in a game system where you can only take a limited number due to the game size, it keeps their effect limited. When people play AoS you can take as many Dragons as they fancy, but will it be an enjoyable game for either party involved? Not really. So its best not to do it. And if you feel more comfortable with using a comp system, again feel free, just make sure your opponent knows, and is happy with also playing with the same restrictions.

In summary my views are

1 - Collect what you want people,
2 - Don't be a douche when you do it though
3 - If you want to use some restrictions, play someone who is willing to also do that, for your game.
4 - Have fun.

Thanks for the reply, now to find a model I like - Probably from the 'dark' side as all of my 40K are imperial.

EPIC AMTL & Black Legion
Warmaster Skaven
DropZone Resistance
Ok so I went in my local GW and The Outpost and I have started a Skaven army just based on the look of the figures.

EPIC AMTL & Black Legion
Warmaster Skaven
DropZone Resistance
Now that I have nearly 100 models to paint, what vases do people recommend. I know the old Warhammer used Square bases and AoS models come with round bases.

Do people think the old Warhammer game is going to survive, and if so I think I should base everything on square bases to give me the option to play this game also.

I don't want to mix and match, so just wanted peoples thoughts.

EPIC AMTL & Black Legion
Warmaster Skaven
DropZone Resistance
Round bases. The models look better on rounds. Also I cannot see Warhammer being played massively any more, maybe the odd game here and there. Thats the odd game that you do not know how to play, so unless your going to scour stores and eBay for the rules, learn them to a degree (the rules for Warhammer are to 40k, as 40k are to AoS for example,) on the off chance you play a game. So i suggest you go round.
Star Wars Legion - Rebels
Guildball - Alchemists
Blood Bowl - Lizardmen
You could magnetise the bases so you can swap out the rounds for squares when you need to??
Dropfleet Commander: UCM
Dropzone Commander: UCM
Star Wars X-Wing: Rebel Alliance
Magic the Gathering
LotR SBG: High Elves
Warhammer 40,000 7th ed.: Astra Militarum & Eldar
Halo Fleet Battles: Covenant
BFG: Imperial Navy & Eldar Corsairs
Warhammer Fantasy 8th ed.: Warriors of Chaos

Element Games referral code JAS173.